chapter fourteen: a snowy hogwarts

The next day everyone left for home. True to his word, I found a sweater on the end of my bed the next morning. How he got it there, I had no idea, but I decided it best not to question a master prankster. I couldn't wear it while everyone was there because it had a G on the front. I suppose it helped to tell them apart. But truly, they had their own quirks that I could tell without having lived with them so Molly Weasley might have a kid or two too many for her own good.

By dinner that evening, I was left with just a few other students and professors. The two days leading up to Christmas were pretty uneventful. I spent most of my time enjoying the silence and peace that I rarely got. On Christmas Eve, I actually fell asleep reading a book by the fire.

I woke up the next morning as a house elf put a package by me.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Miss Larissa. I didn't mean to wake you," the house elf quickly apologized. He took a few steps back.

"Dobby?" I asked, recognizing his voice.

He looked up from the floor. "Miss Larissa remembers Dobby?"

"Of course," I nodded, setting my book aside. "What are you doing here?"

"I work here."

"You do? Since when?"

"Since Old Master freed me. I am so glad to be free of Old Master and working here." At that, he went to run into the wall to hit his head. I grabbed him.

"I see you still can't speak ill of him," I acknowledged.

"Dobby is working on it."

"It's okay. You know I don't like him much either."

"Harry Potter says he is in Azkaban now."

"You talk to Harry?" I questioned.

"Oh, yes. Harry Potter is a nice boy."

"He is," I agreed. "And Lucius is in Azkaban."

"Good. He should be there for the rest of his life."

I held him firm so he wouldn't try to hurt himself again. "You didn't have to get me a gift, Dobby."

"I always get Miss Larissa a gift. Last year I gave you mittens. This year, I give you a hat." He pulled it out of his clothes and handed it to me. I took it, glancing at the package on the table.

"Then who is that from?"

"I don't know. It came in the owlery." I thought for a moment before picking up the package and standing up.

"Come with me, Dobby." I paused, turning back to look at him. "I'm sorry. Come with me, only if you want to. I didn't mean for it to be an order."

"Dobby always liked Miss Larissa. Dobby doesn't mind taking orders from you."

I smiled, nodding. "Then come along. I have something for you too."

He followed me to my room. I dropped the package on my bed and walked to my dresser. I pulled out a sock that I had long lost the match too. I kneeled down in front of him, holding out the sock.

"I should've wrapped it, but-"

"No, Miss Larissa," he gasped, taking the sock. "It's perfect. Thank you."

"Thank you, Dobby," I smiled, holding the hat out. "It's lovely."

"You like it?"

"Of course I do."

He smiled. "Merry Christmas, Miss Larissa."

"Merry Christmas, Dobby."

I stood up and went over to my bed. "I'm sorry I woke you up. I just wanted to deliver your gift myself so I could give you mine too."