chapter fifty: the twin sized bed

"Well, I'll leave you two to it," Fred called. "I'll be sleeping in Percy's old room, which means you two will have a whole floor to yourselves if you need to, you know, catch up." He winked before leaving. I rolled my eyes.

"I think that went well," George nodded, drawing my attention back to him.

"It did," I agreed.

"How was Mom?" he asked quietly. "I didn't know she was down here. I was sort of trying to facilitate that better."

I smiled, shaking my head. "She was lovely, I promise."

"Really?"

I nodded, reaching for his hand in front of me. "You know, she showed me all the baby pictures of you and told me all these stories except she couldn't tell you two apart in nearly any of the photos."

"Yeah," he laughed, nodding. "She does that."

I squeezed his hand. "It was the best conversation I've had in a long time."

He pushed my hair behind my ear, tilting his head. "What happened?"

"Just work," I sighed, shaking my head. I didn't really want to tell him about Runcorn. I would handle it. "Then I went to see Snape because it turns out we're related."

"Related?" he asked.

"Cousins of some sort."

"Wow," he mumbled.

"Small world."

"Yeah," he nodded. "What did he say?"

I looked at him for a second. "You're going to say I'm wrong."

"Well, I like living so I don't think I will."

"Snape is good. He's in the same boat as me."

"He killed Dumbledore. He's running the Hogwarts bootcamp."

"I'm running the muggle-killing Ministry," I pointed out. "We're all doing things we don't want to."

"But he-"

"Can I explain a little before you throw it out?" I asked. He searched my eyes then nodded. "Dumbledore was already dying, and Draco was going to have to kill him if Snape didn't. And if Snape didn't kill Dumbledore, Draco would be dead."

"What?"

"Snape did it to protect Draco. When Lucius screwed up at the Ministry and ended up in Azkaban, the Dark Lord was so angry that he chose Draco to kill Dumbledore, anticipating his failure so he could then kill him to punish Lucius." I searched his face. "I couldn't let Draco die because his father is an idiotic coward. I helped him fix the cabinet to get the other Death Eaters in, I even offered to kill Dumbledore for him."

"You what?"

"I've had to kill before, you know that," I quickly explained. "It's so hard, and it hurts in a way that I never wanted Draco to hurt. Because it haunts me, every single person I've ever..." I sighed. "Of course, I didn't want Dumbledore to die, but I overheard a conversation between him and Snape so I knew he was already dying. And I couldn't lose Draco." I searched his face. "But Snape has been protecting me a lot longer than I thought. Before I even ended up with the Dark Lord, his cousin, my dad, showed up at his house to make him promise to watch out for me so he has. He's killed for me, tortured so I didn't have to, stolen, lied, all of it to spare me further anguish. He's trained me in every way he could so I could protect myself." I paused, trying to see what he thought. He looked at me with the same loving expression he always did. "I know you probably think it's crazy, but Snape and I are in the same boat. It just doesn't seem like it."

"Okay," he nodded.

"That's it?"

"That's it." Why was he always so laidback?

"Do you think I'm crazy?"

"Oh, I know that, darling." I rolled my eyes. "But I also know that if you genuinely believe that, then I'm inclined to believe you."

"You are?" I asked, relief flooding me. He nodded. I sighed, leaning forward to kiss him. "Thank you."

"For what?"

"Believing me."

He smiled, pulling me into another kiss. "I'll always believe you. And I want to thank you too."

I furrowed my brow. "For what?"

"Not immediately leaving me after seeing those baby pictures."

I smiled. "There's still time. I just need a place to stay for the night."

He rolled his eyes. "I remember why I didn't tell Bill you were funny."

"You should've said I'm hilarious."

"Something like that." He kissed me once more. "If you stick with me after seeing my old room, then I'll truly be impressed."

"I hope there's more baby pictures."

"No, thankfully none of those in there."

"Wow, lame." We went up to his room, and he opened the door. I walked in, looking around. It was a shade of yellow with Quidditch posters on the walls. There were two beds, one with a G blanket on the end and one with an F one. "Okay, so that's your bed, right?" I pointed to the F bed.

"Obviously."

I flashed him a smile before walking around a little more. "You're a fan of the Cannons?"

"Yeah." I turned to look at him. "Oh God, don't tell me you like the Arrows."

"More than I like the Cannons."

"How can you possibly like the Arrows?"

"Well, let's start off with their logos."

"You pick your favorite teams off of their jerseys and how hot the players are, don't you?"

"No, the Cannons suck for more reasons than their choice of designs."

"Oh yeah, give me one example."

"Um, okay, let's talk about the horrific performance in the Cup this year when Gudgeon literally ran into the goal post, twice. Oh, and how about the choice to trade for Horton and then immediately sign on Pearson? Also, their own manager has no faith in them considering he fainted when they beat the Falcons." I threw my arm up at this. He was smiling at me, hands in his pockets as he watched me in utter fascination. "I mean, the Falcons? Come on. They're even worse than the Cannons. The win shouldn't have been that much of a shock." He hummed, walking closer. "What?"

"That was probably the hottest thing I've ever seen."

"Was it now?" I asked as he rested his hands on my hips.

"Hell yeah," he smiled. I slowly unbuttoned the top button of his shirt. I gave him an innocent look.

"Have you ever thought about giving this room a new memory?" I whispered, trailing my fingers down his chest to his belt buckle and pulling slightly. A low growl came from his throat before he picked me up. I giggled, kissing him as he carried me to the bed. He dropped me on the bed before getting on top of me. I smiled into the kiss and began unbuttoning his shirt. He reached behind me, undoing my zipper. He pulled the dress off one shoulder before pausing. "George?" He had pulled back and was staring at my neck. "What is it?"