chapter five: an unexpected meeting

The next few days were normal. Just classes and Quidditch practice. I was sitting at breakfast the following Friday when I got a note delivered with the morning mail.

Please come to my office this evening for dinner. 7 pm. My treat. I'd like to talk to you about what happened a few weeks ago. -Professor Dumbledore

PS: I'm a huge fan of Snapping Licorice.

"A secret admirer?" Celeste teased, taking a sip of her juice.

"Something like that," I sighed, shoving the note into my bag. I looked up at the Professors' table to see Dumbledore already looking at me. He raised his glass to me and took a sip. My heart started racing at the thoughts of what he would say. It has to be about being the Heir. "I'm going to go get some fresh air before class. See you in Potions."

Before they could ask questions, I left. I made it to a table in the courtyard, gasping for air. 

Dumbledore knows. Of course he knows. He's always three steps ahead. He was the one who found Tom Riddle for God's sake. So obviously he knows who's in Voldemort's family. Now, he's going to try and make me a spy or something. Or take me hostage, I don't know. Maybe he'll just finish the job himself and kill me. I honestly think I like that option best. 

I was so focused on how I couldn't breathe or think straight that I didn't even hear anyone walk up.

"Hey, what's wrong?" George asked.

"Nothing," I lied, looking away as I tried to breathe.

"Right, yeah, it looks like it." I didn't say anything as he sat beside me. I closed my eyes, trying to take deep breaths. He put his hand on my back. "Okay, hey, look at me."

"Weasley, I'm fine. Just let me-"

"Look at me," he demanded. I turned to look at him, meeting his eyes. "Okay, breathe." He took a deep breath before letting it out. "Just breathe with me." For a few moments, I followed his breathing until I could breathe on my own. "There you go." I looked at him for a moment before grabbing my bag.

"I have class."

I got up to leave. "Hey, Prince?" I didn't turn around, but I stopped walking. "You've utterly ruined my sleep schedule." I looked back at him. "All I do now is stare at the stars, and they actually make pictures now. So it's your fault I stay up too late." I smirked, crossing my arms.

"If only you'd paid attention in Astronomy class, we could've been insomniacs together all this time."

He smiled, pulling his bag onto his shoulder. "So, if I saw you on the Tower again, could I join?"

I smiled softly before nodding. "I think that would be okay."

I turned and walked inside. I had little butterflies in my stomach as I walked to class, which was utterly insane. I tried to push them away, but the more I thought about him, the bigger they got. All day long. They were there. I didn't look at him in Transfiguration or Defense Against the Dark Arts. When I'd make eye contact with him, it just made me think about the stars, and the way his arms felt around me, and the way we were the perfect height for me to lean my head against his arm. I never got butterflies. It made me want to throw up.

***

I told my friends I had a big assignment to work on so I'd just eat in the common room. Instead, I made my way up to Dumbledore's office, wondering how the hell I was going to lie my way out of this one. I stopped at the gargoyle that guarded his office.

"Hi, yeah, I've never been up to his office so please just let me in." It didn't move. "I have a meeting with the Headmaster." Silence. "Larissa Prince. Meeting. I'm late for it now." I groaned, tapping my wrist even though I didn't wear a watch. Accio wand. My wand flew out of my boot to my hand. "Alohomora." It didn't move. "No, of course not, Dumbledore probably used something ridiculous like 'Open Sesame.'" Nothing. I pulled out the note, reading over it again. "Great, so he let me know he likes Snapping Licorice but didn't tell me how to get in..." I trailed off as the gargoyle leapt to life, moving out of the way. I blinked a few times. "Snapping Licorice. Really?" I shoved the paper back in before walking up the stairs. I paused about halfway up, hearing voices come from the open door at the top.