chapter twenty-one: no room for mistakes

George and I stayed there for a few hours. He drifted off long before I did, but we both woke up as the sun hit the windows. We got ourselves situated and sent the couch back before heading out. I went to the Great Hall, and he went to the Infirmary. As soon as I made it to the Slytherin table, I looked for Draco. I spotted him surrounded by Crabbe, Goyle, Blaise, and Pansy.

"Move," I told Crabbe when I walked up behind them.

"What? Who the hell-" he scoffed before looking back at me. I raised an eyebrow, daring him to continue. He muttered an apology before scooting aside. I sat down so my back was to Pansy who sat across from Draco.

"What?" he asked.

"We need to talk," I mumbled. "Now."

"No, I've got class in-"

"Draco," I interrupted, causing him to meet my eyes for the first time in what felt like forever. He looked exhausted. "Now." He stared at me for a moment before nodding and getting up. I walked, assuming Draco was following me. After we got into the hall and away from the crowd, I spun around. "Are you absolutely mad?" I questioned, pushing against his chest. He seemed stunned.

"Mad? What did I-"

"You're being utterly reckless, Draco." He shook his head, looking out the window. I hit his chest again. "You have a mission, yes, but you can't go around throwing poison everywhere in hopes that it meets its intended target. That's lazy and miscalculated and totally uncontrollable."

"Stop hitting me," he demanded, taking hold of my wrists. I yanked them free, glaring up at him. "My original plan isn't working."

"And you're panicking, but you can't just throw around poison."

"You have no way of knowing that it was me."

"You said you had Imperiused someone in Hogsmeade. It doesn't take an idiot to see that Rosmerta's been off her game lately. If I can piece it together, so can Dumbledore."

"The old buffoon can barely show up to dinner two days in a row."

"You think that's because he's lazy? You think he's skipping because old age is suddenly getting to him?" Before he could answer, I continued. "He's searching for ways to destroy Voldemort." He cringed at the name. "He's not in his office reading a good book. He's out losing limbs and having breakthroughs while you're here trying to poison him through other's hands."

"Do you have a better idea?" he begged, voice cracking. My anger subsided at the broken face in front of me. "Because I've been killing myself all year trying to fix this stupid cabinet, and nothing is working. If I don't figure this out..."

"I'm not going to let that happen."

"Like he's going to listen to you?" he asked. "He's so angry with my father, I'm surprised he hasn't killed my mother and me already."

"No, I mean I'm not going to let that happen because I'm going to help you."

"No, I don't need-"

"Get over yourself, Draco. If anyone asks, you can have all the credit for the Vanishing Cabinet, but I am the one who's been working with things like this since I was in diapers so let me give it a shot." He still seemed hesitant. "Please." He clenched his jaw, looking back out the window. He gave me a slight nod, and I sighed in relief. "Thank you."

The halls started filling with people so we started walking. Before we split up, he grabbed my arm. "Friday, 5 o'clock. 5th floor."

I watched as he joined the crowd before turning to head to class. An owl landed in front of me. I brushed it off, but he simply fluttered a few feet in front of me before chirping. I sighed, untying the letter from his leg. He flew off, clearly satisfied he delivered what he was supposed to. I opened the letter.

I need to pick your brain about something only the brilliant Larissa Prince would know about. Of course, I'll prepare dinner again. Does chicken sound good? Personally, I'd be just fine with Acids Pops, but an entree is needed. 7 o'clock. -Professor Dumbledore

Impeccable timing. He knew it was Draco. He had to, and he wanted to know just how much I knew. I went through my day as normally as possible. Last time I went to Dumbledore's office, I felt a lot stronger. At this point, the idea of trying to lie to him of all people felt exhausting.

All I kept thinking of was the anguish in Draco's eyes. He was just as scared as his mother and sadly just as stuck. Still, I tried to prepare myself for the interrogation all day, and when I made my way up those stairs, I paused once again as a voice trailed through the crack in the door. He left the door open again. He knew exactly what he was doing.