chapter fifty-five: the battle begins

My job was simple. I knew the grounds of Hogwarts better than anyone. I could get in easier than anyone. I was the inside man. Of course, he calculated poorly considering both of his inside men were not working for him. I decided to go through Hogs Head Inn. In my many sleepless nights, I realized that was the sound I had heard in the Vanishing Cabinet. It wasn't Albus Dumbledore. It was Aberforth Dumbledore.

I stood in the shadows of the alleyway for what felt like forever, trying to get the courage to walk into the bar. I could hear the blows that were being fired at Hogwarts and knew my time was limited. When I saw a few people walk in, I knew I was right. Remus and Tonks, Oliver, Alicia, and Katie, even Percy... They all went in and never came back out. They were getting into Hogwarts, and I had to too.

"Sorry, we're closed," he called when I opened the door.

"I just saw someone walk in here," I pointed out. "And considering they never left, I'm sure you aren't closed."

"Read the sign." I looked at the sign he pointed to.

We reserve the right to refuse service.

"I'm not asking you to serve me anything."

"Then why are you here?" he asked, finally looking up from the glass he was cleaning. I stared at him for a moment. He had the same strong stare as Dumbledore. I couldn't bear to hold eye contact. I looked at the painting behind him. It looked oddly similar to the halls of Hogwarts. He shifted his weight. That's it.

"Lovely painting," I commented. "You know, it looks a lot like the halls at Hogwarts. Almost as if you could just-"

"I said we're closed," he interrupted. "Get back to your patrolling. No one's in here 'cept me."

I sighed, walking towards him. I stopped abruptly when he dropped the glass and pointed his wand at me. "I'm not here to hurt anybody," I explained, holding my hands up. "I just, I need to get inside Hogwarts."

"Course you do," he scoffed. "You don't think I know what your plan is, Minister?" He almost spat the title. "You'll get in there and blast them from the inside out. You'll have to kill me before I let you in."

"The last thing I want to do is kill anyone who's not blood." He furrowed his brow, and I sighed. "I'm trying to get in to help them."

"Like I'm going to believe you," he scoffed.

"She's telling the truth," a voice behind me spoke up. I turned around and smirked. Bill and Fleur.

"Well, if it isn't Fang," I nodded, letting my hands fall to my side. "Long time no see."

"Lot's happened since we last met, but no time to catch up just yet. We need to get in Aberforth."

"Alright, let's get her taken care of then I'll-"

"No need, she'll be coming with us."

"You want her to go in? But she's-"

"The badass Larissa Prince, that's right," Bill nodded, nudging me. I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms.

"The world's turned upside down," he sighed, lowering his wand. He helped us get into the portrait before we were on our way in.

"Fleur, Larissa. Larissa, Fleur. Should've introduced you sooner."

"It's nice to finally meet you," I nodded.

"Oh, you too," she replied in a strong accent. "Bill has told me so many stories."

"Likewise. I've heard you make a mean stew."

"You said my stew was mean?" she gasped.

"No, mean means good," I quickly clarified. "I'm excited for dinner once this is finally over."