chapter six: a meal between foes

I took this moment to knock on the door. They both looked over. Snape looked a little pale, but Dumbledore acted like he knew I had been there all along, which he probably did.

"Professor Dumbledore, Professor Snape," I nodded, pausing on Snape for a moment. Who was he lying to? "You wanted to see me?"

"Yes, yes, of course, Ms. Prince," he smiled, walking around his desk. Snape stood up, giving Dumbledore a glare before looking back at me. He was trying to read me.

Don't you even think about it, Severus, I thought, crossing my arms. He seemed to get the message as he looked away.

"Ms. Prince." He gave a quick nod before brushing past me. I pushed my wand back into my boot.

"You always wear those boots. I wondered why. Very resourceful," Dumbledore nodded, pulling out his own wand. Moments later an entire feast covered a new table with two spots set. "Please, take a seat."

I sat across from him. My plate filled with food from the center of the table. "Honestly, Professor, you're making it too easy. I don't even have to fill my plate."

"You deserve to enjoy yourself when you have a chance, Larissa." I raised an eyebrow, lifting my drink.

"What makes you say that?"

"Well, you're a prefect, now Head Girl, on the Quidditch team, taking eight NEWT level courses..." he shook his head. "You're extremely busy. Still, I had Professor Burbage asking me to speak to you about Muggle Studies."

"Did she now?" I asked, taking a sip of my drink. I shrugged. "Well, even so, my schedule wouldn't have allowed for it. I'm in Alchemy at the same time."

He hummed, waving his wand so the knife started putting butter on the roll. "All the same, really. Not many Slytherins take that class."

"So?"

"That's not to say anything about the House as a whole," he explained. "It just happens to work out that way, I suppose. I don't believe there are any in it this year."

"Unfortunate." He looked at me for a moment before taking a bite of his food. I watched him, leaning back in my seat. "I know you didn't call me here to talk about Muggle Studies so say what you have to say, Professor."

"About?"

"I don't have time to play these games. We already discussed my schedule so we both know it's rigorous."

It was his turn to watch me. I kept an eyebrow cocked, not daring to lose eye contact. "I was unaware we offered Occlumency at Hogwarts. I'll have to congratulate Severus on his work."

"I was unaware we supported reading students' minds at Hogwarts," I challenged, picking up my fork. I got some vegetables on my fork before looking up at him again. "Also, who's to say Professor Snape taught me? There are other Occlumens out there."

"I'm aware you and Professor Snape have developed a bond after all your years in his House. Especially serving in positions such as Prefect and Head Girl, you've gained a lot of his trust."

So perhaps he doesn't know my parentage. We were quiet for a few moments as we both ate and silently dared the other to speak. Finally, he set down his fork and leaned forward.

"Why were you up there the other night?"

"To watch the stars just like you."

"You may be able to close your mind off, Ms. Prince, but we both know that's not true. You quite often watch the stars. You've never been out that far."

"I needed a better view. Perspective is everything when it comes to the stars, Professor."

"You needed a better perspective?"

"Correct."

"Why?"

I furrowed my brow. "To see the-"

"Not the stars," he interrupted. "Larissa, I've known you for many years. You remain here for the holidays, why?"

"To have Christmas dinner with you, of course."

He studied me for a moment. "Honesty is always a good trait to have."

"I agree," I shrugged, picking up my drink. "But really..." I took a sip before resting one arm across my stomach and my other elbow on my wrist. "Is anyone honest anymore?" I looked at the glass in my hand. It was a wine glass, but sadly contained no wine. I swished the contents around. "I would like to congratulate you though."

"For what?"

"You called me up here for dinner, knowing very well I would be eating and drinking whatever you placed in front of me, and instead of using veritaserum, you resorted to good old fashioned interrogation." I met his gaze with a smirk. "Unless, of course, there is veritaserum in this drink." I gauged his reaction. "Is there, Professor Dumbledore?"

"Ms. Prince, I know you haven't exactly been taught to trust anybody, but I would never give a student veritaserum."

"Perhaps there is a sliver of integrity left in society. There is hope yet." I set down the glass. "Still, you tried to read my mind so what is integrity?" He twisted his fork in his hand. "Is that all, Professor?"

"If you wish to leave, I will not force you to stay." I studied him for a moment.

"Thank you for dinner."

"You're always welcome." I stood up and walked to the door. I paused with my hand on the door handle for just a moment before heading downstairs. I made it back to my dorm before I paused and took a deep breath. When I finally thought about everything that happened, it wasn't even my interaction with Dumbledore that confused me. What the hell was that conversation with Snape?