chapter nineteen: safe space

I leaned away to look up at him, trying to figure out how he remembered or why he hadn't mentioned it in the months since he first saw the mark. "You, but I didn't think you'd remember."

"I might've had a few drinks, but I wasn't drunk, princess," he pointed out, gently wiping away the tears on my cheeks. He rested his hand on my cheek, rubbing his thumb against my face. "And when I said I loved every part of you, I meant it. Even the parts you hate."

"How can you, George? You don't even know me or what being the Heir means."

"I don't know you? You are aware we've gone to school for seven years together, right?" he asked. "And I may not know everything about you. Clearly, I've learned more about you in the last few months than I ever knew." I rolled my eyes, looking away. He smiled softly, tilting my head back towards him after a moment. "And I may not know everything that being the Heir entails, but I know you're not defined by any title the world gives you. You've never exactly been one to follow a set of rules."

I looked at him for a moment not realizing a tear slid down my cheek until he wiped it away. I smiled softly. "How do you always know the right thing to say?"

"Just a gift I suppose," he joked, pushing my hair behind my ear. "What can I do?"

"I..." I trailed off, deciding against it. This wasn't a feelings thing. I had to keep some things away. "Nothing, I just, I should get going."

"What were you going to say?" he asked, tilting his head. I was the one trained in both Legilimency and Occlumency, but I swear he was the only one who could actually read my mind.

"Nothing."

"Tell me."

"George, it's nothing really. I just need to-"

"Larissa?" he interrupted, stopping me as I turned to leave.

I closed my eyes, trying to think of a lie. "It's stupid."

"I've never heard a stupid thing come out of your mouth."

I turned back to look at him for a moment before looking out the window. I crossed my arms, pinching my arm. I tried to keep my voice steady as I spoke but failed miserably. "Could you just hold me?" He smiled softly, resting a hand against my cheek. I quickly continued. "I, I know that's not what this is so I should probably just-"

"I'll hold you as long as you need, princess," he interrupted. I met his eyes as he smiled. "And maybe just a little longer for myself." He took my hand, pulling me back towards the bed. I watched as he laid down. I'd never done anything quite so intimate with someone. Yet, when I slipped under the covers, and he wrapped his arms around me, I realized I'd never done anything that felt this right either. We were silent for a few minutes as he ran his hands along my back. I slowly traced my finger against his collarbone, enjoying the sound of his heartbeat.

"I can hear your heartbeat," I whispered. He laughed lightly, kissing the top of my head before resting his cheek against it again.

"I can feel you breathing."

"It's kind of weird," I added. "The two things that show we're alive. And we get to share them."

"I think it's cool," he sighed, running his hand slowly against my side. "It's good to know you're alive."

"Well, I wouldn't want to ruin your favorite eating area with thoughts of my death," I mumbled.

"You'd ruin a lot more than that."

I blinked back tears. "Can you promise me something?"

"I'll try my best."

"When everything happens, can you remember this me? Because you're going to see a totally different person."

"I don't believe it."

"It's just how it has to be."

"No, I mean, I don't believe that you're truly capable of the evil he tries to make you do."

"I wish I wasn't."

He didn't say anything for a moment. "Then can you promise me something?"

"What?"

"Can you remember how I feel about you?" he asked softly. I furrowed my brow, leaning up to look at him. He reached up to push my hair behind my ear.

"What do you mean?"

"I just, I want you to remember that someone loves you for more than just your power or position." I looked away, out to the night sky. "You know there is more to love than that, right?"

"Of course, I do," I mumbled.

"But do you believe it?"

I bit the inside of my cheek, trying to think of my response. "There's not a lot I believe right now."

"Well, then let me list fifty reasons to love you that have absolutely nothing to do with your power or house. And if you don't believe me after that, I'll list fifty more until you believe me," he nodded before clearing his throat. "1. You have this smile that can light up any room when you truly show it. 2. Your eyes are this deep brown that captures me from across the room. 3. Your hand happens to be the perfect size for me to hold, which I like a lot. 4. You-"

"George," I interrupted, looking back at him. "Stop."

"Do you believe me yet?"

"Yes," I lied, hoping he'd give it up and just go back to the silence.

"You're lying. That's the next reason: you do this little thing with your nose every time you lie to me, and I find it absolutely adorable. Like a little bunny," he smiled, tapping my nose with his finger. A soft smile spread across my face as he wrapped his arms around me again. I rested my head against his chest as he continued. "Okay, where was I? Number five?" And he did. He listed 50 things he loved about me, not a single one having to do with my ability or being the Heir of Slytherin. "And number 50. You are the Slytherin princess, if someone steps on your toes, you or fifty henchmen could jinx them in a second, but you are still one of the goofiest people when you let your guard down. Maybe one day you'll be able to relax all the time, and then everyone can see that side of you, but until then, I'll take pride in knowing I'm one of the lucky ones." He sighed in content. I heard his heartbeat that had been randomly beating faster when he talked about different memories. At that moment, it seemed to be going a mile a minute. I leaned up to look at him. "Do you want 50 more? Because I could-"

I cut him off with a kiss. It was a simple, innocent kiss, but one I wanted to remember forever. I pulled away a moment later with a smile on my face.

"I truly don't deserve you, George Weasley," I whispered. "Thank you."

He smiled, bringing a hand up to push my hair out of my face. "I'm the one who doesn't deserve you, darling."

I leaned into his touch for a moment before resting my head back on his chest. I followed the sound of his heartbeat.

Thump thump. Thump thump. Thump thump.

And it was truly the most beautiful sound. For the first time in forever, I fell asleep feeling completely and utterly safe. Nothing in the world could have hurt me in that moment.