chapter twelve: the christmas party

Life returned to the insane normalcy that usually followed me. And two weeks later, I was in Cassius' room, helping him pick out his outfit for the party that night.

"Remind me again why I have to go," Cassius whined as I set a pair of pants on the bed. He fell dramatically onto the bed.

"Because if you don't, Miles is going to try and go with me."

"So, instead you're forcing me to endure Slughorn for an entire evening?"

"Yes, I am."

"Merlin, they're right. You're utterly ruthless."

"I hate you."

"The feeling is mutual."

I rolled my eyes, crossing my arms. "You know Melinda's going to be there. She's going with Blaise."

"So?"

"So, stop trying to lie to me. I know you're into her."

"Did Celeste and Daphne finally guess right?"

"No, they never even mentioned Melinda. They aren't the best with intuition."

He sat up. "What are you proposing?"

"You have someone you want to make jealous. Let's do it."

"What's in it for you?"

A jealous George.

"A night without worrying about Miles grabbing my ass."

"Since I'm your date, can I grab your ass?"

I looked at him for a moment, blinking a few times before shaking my head. "Boys are so dumb."

"I'm taking that as a yes."

"Tastefully, yes. Only because you're my best friend."

"Wow, Larissa Prince getting sentimental. I'm touched."

"I take it back. If you touch me, I will stomp on your foot."

"I'm wearing a tie for you."

"You wear a tie every day for school."

"I'm not going."

"I'll consider it."

"I'm putting my life on the line for you. Miles may very well kill me."

"Fine," I rolled my eyes. "Now get ready. We're going to be late." We walked into Slughorn's party, and everyone seemed to look at us.

"Well damn," he mumbled, pulling me into him with a hand on my waist. "Now I know what it's like to enter a room as you. Everybody really does stare." I met George's eyes with a small smirk.

"Yeah, everyone stares." I looked up at Cassius. "Let's get drinks."

We walked down the few steps before he grabbed two glasses off a tray. "How long do you think we can avoid-"

"Ah, Ms. Prince," Slughorn beamed, walking up behind us. I gave Cassius a look before smiling at Slughorn.

"Professor, this is a lovely party."

"Even lovelier now that you've walked in."

I laughed, waving my hand in front of me. "Oh, stop."

"And I see you've brought a date. Mr. Warrington, unfortunately I don't have you in class this year."

"No sir, I took Charms instead."

"Well, Filius is lucky to have you." He glanced over at a waiter who came out with a tray of food. "No, that's supposed to come out in 15 minutes. Excuse me." He rushed off to fix the issue.