chapter fifty-two: morning duty

I stirred awake the next morning as George ran his hand against my arm. I hummed, cuddling into his side more. He laughed lightly, giving me a squeeze. "Good morning, darling."

"I'd like to hear that every morning," I mumbled, looking up at him. He pulled me closer, kissing me gently. "What time is it?"

He reached over to look at the clock. "Almost 10."

"Damn it," I groaned, sitting up. "I can't be late two days in a row. Percy is going to-"

"Percy? You see Percy?" he asked as I dragged the sheet with me to find my clothes.

"What? Oh, yeah," I nodded. "He's my secretary or something. I don't know exactly. He sucks up to me just like everyone else, but he's willing to get me coffee so I keep him around."

"How, is he doing okay?"

I turned around as I clipped my bra on. He'd gotten up and pulled on his boxers. "Oh, I, damn it, I forgot that he..." I sighed, meeting his eyes. "Don't worry, he's doing fine," I quickly explained. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have brought him up."

"No, it's fine. I just, I kind of forget about him sometimes. We don't ever talk about him or Dad gets pissed and Mom starts crying."

"He'll come to his senses," I promised. "I mean, I feel like he has to eventually."

"Or he'll just continue being a prick." I laughed softly as I slipped on my dress.

"I'll pick his brain about some things. See if the old Percy is in there at all."

He nodded, zipping up my dress. "Let me get dressed then I'll walk you out."

Once he got his clothes on, we walked downstairs. "Oh, Larissa, dear, I didn't realize you were still here," Molly gasped, dropping the books she was carrying into George's arms. "Of course, I should've known you would be. I presume you miss a lot of sleep." She wrapped an arm around me, guiding me into the kitchen. "Come, come, I can make you breakfast." I looked back at George, giving him a small smile as he found his way to the coffee table to set down the books. "Do you like breakfast casserole? I could whip some up, it won't take long, or maybe some fruit and toast? What time do you need to get to work?" Before I could answer any of her questions, she'd sat me down at the table and started silently ordering things around the kitchen.

"Mrs. Weasley-"

"Oh, call me Molly."

"Molly, thank you for offering breakfast and for letting me stay the night-"

"No problem, dear, what kind of fruit would you like?"

"Well, actually, I don't know if breakfast-"

"Nonsense, you have to have breakfast before work."

I gave George a look when he walked up behind me. He set his hands on my shoulders, squeezing gently. "Mom..." She turned around, pausing in her mixing. She looked between us.

"You really can't stay? Just for breakfast?"

"I'm afraid not." I stood up to prove I was leaving. "But one day, I'll be back, and I'll stay for breakfast." She nodded, setting the bowl down. "Until then, could I have a cup of coffee? Maybe to go, if possible?" She smiled slightly.

"With cream and sugar?"

"With cream and sugar." She got to work. George stood behind me and squeezed my arms, leaning beside my ear.

"I think she likes you," he whispered. "She never made coffee for Fleur."

I nudged him gently with my elbow, smiling up at him. A few moments later, she turned around with the coffee in hand.