fifty nine

"early this morning around three o'clock, county officials responded to a call about a fire at inferno, a local adult entertainment club in downtown los angeles.

upon arrival, police found 25 year old dominique santiago injured with a gunshot wound, as well as a vehicle in flames. police arrested 22 year old harry styles, and 28 year old mitchell rowland at the scene. santiago was arrested upon leaving the hospital. styles and rowland are owners of the club, and officials report that santiago was a fellow employee.

there is a possible fourth suspect in this case. no charges have been posted at this time. if you have any information about the incident, please call the los angeles county poli-"

louis turned the television off and threw the remote across the bedroom.

emma jumped onto the bed and laid by him, digging her paws into his leg. she stretched, then curled up against him.

he hasn't slept. it's noon.

when he left inferno, he ran until he found a safe spot to call zayn. his best friend picked up up by their favorite gas station and sat in the car with him while he had an anxiety attack. he held his hands and hugged him close while he cried his heart out and sobbed his anger into the man's shoulder. niall and liam got a call from zayn telling them what had happened, and the two of them were shocked that harry let himself go.

zayn said that louis was to not leave his sight because he had a feeling this wouldn't end well with him. the younger boy made himself a space in louis' room to sleep on the floor because he knew he wouldn't want to be touched. he even had niall bring shark and emma over so he would have his emotional supports.

niall has been in and out of the apartment bringing little things to louis all day. a hoodie of harry's, his good blanket, and even one of harry's pillows to sleep with. shark took over the pillow until louis cried for him to move and snatched it from the cat. it's been clutched against his chest for the last hour and a half.

why?

when harry had all that time telling louis to run, he could have ran too. why didn't he go? why did he stay behind and let himself get taken? what was the point in all of it?

mitch willingly gave himself up. nobody made him freeze and drop his weapon. nobody chased him. he followed the rules. the sheer emptiness, the numbness all over the boss was what gave louis chills. emotionless. it was like he was waiting for this. waiting to be busted, waiting to get this done and over with.

nobody made harry stay. louis pleaded for him to go with him and the fact that he didn't makes him feel this pang of betrayal deep in his stomach. pissed isn't even the word for it. he felt his own bit of hurt. that was the first time harry left him behind and it did not feel good at all.

he kind of left harry behind, in a sense. harry told him to run and he did. he left harry there to go to jail but he knew if he made a scene, he would be in jail as well and then it would have been a total shitshow. zayn would be flipping his lid on everyone. niall and liam would have to prevent him from getting himself arrested just for causing ruckus. one after another after another — it would have been one hell of a domino effect.

the bed dips with weight. louis doesn't bother to look up from his pillow. he just holds it close and breathes in deep. it smelled like harry. his shampoo, with a little bit of weed and cigarettes. it smelled like the last night they spent together talking about everything and nothing. it smelled like home. his home. the place where he knew he would be safe as soon as he walked in the door. where he was welcomed, loved, and loved even more.

"babes," zayn cooed softly. "hey. i know you're sad, but do you want anything from the diner? niall's getting lunch while he's out, he offered to bring you some cheesecake or something. you need to eat. please don't make me force feed you, because i will."