fifty five

it's scary to think that just earlier they were hanging out on the ledge painting eachother with pink paint and sneaking quick kisses back and forth. just earlier, everything was fine and dandy until harry's lips started to turn blue and he stopped breathing entirely. thirty seconds. harry didn't breathe for thirty seconds and louis thought it was over.

he thought the best thing that he ever got ahold of slipped from his grasp in just thirty fucking seconds and he did not hesitate to give mitch the worst ass chewing for saying he wasn't allowed back there and for hesitating to give harry the narcan. if one (or both) of those things were different, there would have been a different outcome. both of them wouldn't have caused harry to go out the way he did for that small frame of time. if it weren't for liam dragging louis out of the office while jana got harry on a stretcher, mitch would have been dead. louis was on a mission to wring his neck and everyone knew it.

niall and louis have both been a complete and total wreck. zayn broke the speed limit the entire way to the hospital and probably gave himself a heart attack in the process but harry is alive and that's what mattered right now. the three of them raced behind the transport vehicle jana brought for harry's travel. it had gotten to the point louis passed them up to make it there first. he nearly wrecked his car weaving between others to get to the hospital. that bit didn't even scare him.

it has only been an hour and a half at the hospital, but it's been the longest 90 minutes of louis' life. he had to fill out minor paperwork since jana had all of his information already. due to mitch not showing up, whatever happened would report back to louis first. she promised him that. louis gave liam an extensive list of things to check out in the club and niall went to check on the cats and scope harry's house. zayn is somewhere downstairs getting coffee for them because it's nearly 6 in the morning.

harry was drugged. whoever drugged him knew what they were doing and louis felt like if he didn't take the narcan from mitch to administer it, harry wouldn't have survived. there's no telling how long harry was out, or how long mitch stared at him like he made the world's biggest mistake — he still needs to figure out what that was all about. it's taken a long time, but he can can see when something (someone) is not what they're all cracked out to be.

it could have been an easy mix up if it were something like ketamine or rohypnol. being roofied is one thing. but fucking fentanyl came back on harry's tox screen. the same shit that could have killed his best friend almost took the love of his life. he's come to terms with that, too. it's a new discovery. it's a scary discovery. but he's glad that it's harry and not anyone else, even if he can be a stubborn shithead. he's louis' stubborn shithead and that's okay.

he's had time to think since he's been in the waiting room. he and liam talked on the phone when he finally calmed down and stopped crying, when he could actually breathe and feel it. liam said that harry wasn't responding to anything anyone was saying or doing to try ro get him up. it was niall that had the speculation, so he called jana, and confirmed what he was thinking was correct. she told him what to do until she got there.

bless harry for having this connection. bless niall for having even a sliver of a brain. when louis asked if it could have been a simple fuck up, all signs pointed the other way.

this was a matter of life and death. someone was trying to play god and harry was their victim. definitely not a simple fuck up.

"hey," the nurse louis met when they arrived, named avery, gave the small man a soft greeting. "which one of you is 'bunny'?"

louis' head immediately snapped up. "i am."

avery nodded. "he's asking for you."

"he's okay?"