Page 44

"And you two," I whirled on Paul and Marko, "where the hell did you guys even go? You left me next to three old guys," I frowned, crossing my arms over my chest, "they kept trying to offer me candy."

"Did you take any of it?" I gave Paul a blank look, "If I did I doubt I would be here right now Paul," he raised his hands in defense, "I was just asking," I sighed deeply, "sorry, we were just doing something," I raised a brow, "doing what?" Marko smiled sheepishly, "we saw Laddie and well, we got sidetracked babe," I sighed again, "okay, just next time say something, how are they doing?" He smiled, "it's only been a few hours, they're fine," I nodded to myself, "are they having fun?" He looked at me blankly, Paul speaking, "They rode the 'spider drop' six times." The thought of riding that thing made my stomach drop, "really six times, ew," I heard Alan speak up for the first time in a few minutes, "I forgot, you only like the carousel," I turned to him slowly, he had a smirk on his face, "what happened to the hardass attitude? Huh?"

"Some habit's die," he stuffed his hands in his pockets. It was definitely a bit awkward, "so what should we do?" I looked at Paul, before looking around us and glancing up at the sky, "it's going to be morning soon, not much we can do..."

"Wanna see the house?" I looked at Marko confused, "House?" He nodded as Dwayne wrapped his arm around my shoulders, "We moved after the city turned the cave into a tourist spot," I furrowed my brows, "when was that?" He shrugged looking at Paul, "around 2002, after Kesha got famous we moved farther out into the hills," I was confused now as Dwayne whispered to me, "too many cannibal singers in the city, you can hear literal everything through the walls." I shuddered, "that's awful." I secretly enjoyed the song when it came out though...

"You liked it didn't you?" I pulled away linking my arm with Alan, "maybe..." I looked to the side seeing the kids and waved at them with a smile, "Hi honey." Marcie had a large smile on her face as she bounded up dragging Laddie by his sleeve, "hi, are you coming with us, it's almost morning," She looked around, her curls bouncing with her movement, "yeah I'm coming sweetie," I nodded with my words and Marko groaned again making me roll my eyes, "oh shush," he huffed, "I thought you were coming to see the house?" I opened my mouth but someone else spoke up, "oh, okay, you can go mom we'll be fine." I paused, shooting Laddie a look, "I never agreed to that, besides I already told your grandparents we'd be back before first light." He was about to wave his hand and brush it off but stopped, "is it because of him?" I sighed, shaking my head, "no, it's about, about..." I was stumped, "okay good, then you'll come visit our place." I agreed reluctantly, "fine, fine. I'll come over, just for tonight, you two get home now, sun's coming up soon."

I watched them leave with waves, they hurried back to the front of the boardwalk quickly before I lost them in a crown of strangers, "I'm gonna head out too, Sam's letting me stay with him while I visit," I looked up at him and nodded, "Okay, bye." He kissed my forehead and disappeared without another word. It must have been pretty awkward for him to just stand here waiting, "okay, let's go... but I'm not talking to him." Dwayne laughed, putting his arm around me again, "yea you will." I rolled my eyes with a pout and we started our walk to the beach so we could leave, "you can't make me."

"Won't have to."

"So are we not going to talk about how awkward that was?"

"No Paul, no we're not."