Page 38

Dwayne looked like he wanted to ask me something as Paul and Marko went into a small shop near the food cart. I raised my brow to the long haired brunette, "what Dwayne?" He coughed into his fist before licking his lips and asking me what was on his mind, "did you... maybe meet anyone, after you know?" I blinked a bit more than just surprised before looking down at the paper basket in my hands, "uhm, not exactly, Laddie and I met a few people here and there, others. But it wasn't romantic or anything like that, I couldn't exactly move on." He watched as I huffed a laugh out with a wry smile, " I blame you guys for that," I took a sip of my slushie before setting it back down, "you blame us..." I looked over to him, "I guess you set my standards way too high... or maybe it was the hair," I gave a hum and shrugged my shoulders as he shook his head with a laugh looking down at his lap.

"Yeah... I am pretty awesome aren't I sweetheart?" He looked over to me and draped his arm over my shoulder, "of course doll," I rolled my eyes and smiled softly. "You're not really going to leave again, are you?" I licked my lips sagging against his side, "I'm not sure, Marcie and Laddie were talking a storm up about staying for awhile, they want to travel off on their own at some point, have a little family of their own eventually." He stayed quiet for a second, thinking over his words, "Marcie, the curly haired girl that was standing with you?" I nodded, "Laddie ran up to us for a quick hello but he sped off pretty fast after they saw the chili fry stand," I laughed a little at that, "yeah he's like a younger version of me almost, they both are weirdly enough... They're really cute together, so sweet that girl, she really makes him happy, it's... It's refreshing to know he'll be alright to be honest."

"Will you go with them when they start to travel?" I swallowed with a sigh, "no, they'll want to do that alone," he questioned that aloud, "are you so sure?" I nodded with another sigh, "oh yeah, have been for a while now, sometimes I can hear them when they stay home about how they can't wait to travel and backpack across the states or Canada."

"Canada?" I nodded again, "Canada." He made a 'hmph' sounding huff, "then you'll stay here with us." I looked up at him and bit my lip, "I dunno... It's weird I haven't been here for so long, it feels like I'm not exactly supposed to be here again." He nodded thinking, "then I'll come with you if you leave," I sighed, "I can't make you do that, or ask you to do that this is your home Dwayne." He scoffed, pulling his arm away from me and leaning on his knees with his elbows, "it's your home too." I looked at him, upset, "I mean yeah, of course it is, it always will be but after what happened and leaving... Can I think about it at least? Please?" He sighed, "Yeah whatever..." I swallowed suddenly looking at the floor, the old boards not exactly helping my situation in any way, not like they could anyway, "I don't want to go through something like that again Dwayne, eventually you will get tired of me and so will everyone else, I won't do that again..." I stood up grabbing my trash as he scoffed looking up at me, standing on his feet to follow me angrily towards the trash can.