So Close.

•McKenzie will be 15•

"Today is going to be a good day." McKenzie says putting her softball uniform on. Today was World Series, the last game of the season, the biggest game of them all.

"Kenzie, baby, it's time to go!" Lee yells up the stairs. McKenzie quickly got her slides on & took her homework to the car with her.

"You've got this Kenz, if you hit it over the fence I'll buy you whatever you want." Jake says getting in the car. "Really? I want to put Dylan up for adoption." She says. "Not happening." Dylan says sassily. "If anyone goes it's Ty." "No one is getting put up for adoption." Emerson says getting in the passenger seat.

On the way to the field McKenzie did her homework & the family talked about the game.

At the field everyone got out. "Good luck Kenzie, we love you." Lee says as her daughter went to the dugout.

"Good luck today ladies, last one, I love each & everyone of y'all no matter what." The head coach says.

Beginning of the game McKenzie's team was in the lead 3-2.

McKenzie was up to bat & she struck out.

"It's okay Kenzie!" Tyler yells.

At the end of the game McKenzie team lost. 4-3.

McKenzie went to her parents. "I want to go home." She says. "Kenzie, you did amazing." Lee says. "Yeah, but I didn't strike out, the freakin ump is blind!" McKenzie says so upset.

"Watch your language. Let's go." Lee says. They all loaded into the car. "We should have won, the ump was for the other team & it was obvious." She says. "Kenzie. It's okay." Lee says. "I wanted that ring worse than anyone." McKenzie says getting out of the truck & going to her room.

Jake waited a few minutes before he went to check up on her. "Kenz, it's Jake." Jake says knocking on her door. He could tell that she was still crying. "Kenzie, baby." Jake says sitting on McKenzie's bed. She had eyeliner stains on her face.

"I know, you wanted to win, but losing is part of it. & you still have 3 more years. You can't win them all. You are your team had an amazing season too." Jake says trying to make his sister feel better.

McKenzie nods. "Yeah, I loved my first year of high school softball, made tons of memories that I'll never forget."

"It's more than just a sport, it's the family you make along with it. When you leave high school all your teammates will still be with you." Jake explains.

McKenzie nods. "Go take a shower, come eat when you are done, I love you." Jake says leaving her room.

When McKenzie got done with her shower she went to the kitchen & fixed her something to eat everyone else ate.

"We are all so proud of you Kenzie, you are amazing & never forget that." Emerson says.

"Thanks daddy, I love y'all." She says.

please vote & leave suggestions in the comments for the next chapter ❤️