Chapter Eighty-Eight

You Light Up the Sky Like Lightning 88

I decided I would spend the night in Pattie's hotel room, and she was more than happy to welcome me in.

I told her everything Justin had said, and what he did. She was beyond convinced that he had lost his mind when he was out getting my pickles.

Around nine at night, a hard knock came from the door. Pattie rounded a corner, to where I couldn't see her, and opened the door.

"What do you want, Justin?" she asked in an irritated tone.

"I know she's here," he said in a scratchy voice. I couldn't see him, but I knew that he looked stressed out again.

"No, she's not," Pattie said, trying to cover for me.

"Then where is she?" Justin asked. His tone now was worried. Maybe even a little afraid.

"I don't know. But Justin, you really hurt her. You basically told her you didn't care about her, and you didn't want her or your baby. That's really hurtful."

"I know, but I didn't mean it! I really didn't! I don't know what made me say what I did, but it was all a lie! I just... all I want is to stop fighting with her. That, and a happily ever after. But do you have any idea how hard that is, mom?" Justin asked, very quietly.

"Yes, I do, Justin," Pattie replied softly. "Your dad and I didn't get our happily ever after. Not everything always works out the way we want."

I started thinking: what would life be like without Justin? What would happen? How would I provide for and take care of the baby alone? What would the baby think when he or she grew up without a father?

The more I thought about it, the more I realized that I couldn't picture my life without Justin. Not one day. Good day or bad day.

The next thing I knew, I was standing behind Pattie in the doorway. Justin's eyes locked on mine, and he quickly squeezed past his mom to get to me. When he did, he embrace me in just about the biggest hug I've ever had in my entire life.

"I'm so sorry," he whispered, pulling away and brushing his hand along my cheek. "I can't believe I said that to you."

"Me neither," I said. He wasn't off the hook that easy. "It was rude."

"I know, and I'm so sorry!" he said, looking me directly in my eyes, and holding the sides of my face so I was forced to look at him, too.

I just nodded.

"I'll wait outside," Pattie said, walking into the hallway and shutting the door so that Justin and I were alone.

"I'm so sorry," he said again. He sounded so miserable that it broke my heart.

"So you said," I giggled.

"I thought you were going to leave," he whispered. I could tell from the sound of his voice that was the very last thing he wanted to have happen.

"I'm still going to leave," I said, unsure how he was going to take it. "I'm going back with them tomorrow. You're welcome to come."

He looked at me for a long time without saying anything.

"You're not going to change your mind, are you?" he asked.

I shook my head no.

"Well, then I'm coming to."

I smiled. Finally, we could go home.

"Good," I said.

Justin sighed. "It's a weird thought. Going back, I mean. I never really even considered it."

"I know," I said. "But maybe you should have."

Justin looked like he was going to protest, but somehow, he kept his mouth shut.

"Yeah, maybe," was his response.

***

The next day, we all got on the plane, and flew back go Atlanta. And, oh my god, was it a relief to be back home.

"Where are we going now?" I asked Justin, who somehow had his car back already.

"We're going to our house," he replied, sending a smile my way.

"Our house?" I asked. "Really?"

"Yeah," he said.

I smiled at him. I had forgotten that he bought us a house. So much had happened since be told me that.

Within fifteen minutes, we pulled up in this long horseshoe driveway with a beautiful white, stone house behind it. It was big, but it wasn't so huge that we could get lost inside of it. There were beautiful gardens in front, as well as a fountain in the middle of the sidewalk that looped around it.

"Wow," I said under my breath.

Justin was at my door and had opened it for me. I didn't even notice. I was in awe.

Justin took my hand and more or less pulled me out of the car. When we walked up to the front door, he handed me the key.

"You open it," he said with a smile.

I grinned and did as he said. When I pushed the door open, my jaw literally fell open. The inside was even more beautiful.

(I don't want to describe every little detail, so just imagine it as you want. I'm in class right now and will probably get in trouble for being on my phone soon lol. So use your imagination for the house.)

***

"Hey Landry?" Justin called from our bedroom.

"Yeah?" I asked, pulling my hair back as I stepped out of the bathroom.

"I rescheduled out doctor appointment for tomorrow at one. Is that okay?"

I nodded and smiled. "That's great."

Finally, I was once again happy to be always around the love of my life. Finally, I felt relief. Finally, we were home.