Chapter 34: Better Than I Imagined

The ancestors had to have been looking out for Kali. Once she reconciled with B, things just started working in her favor. The sigh of relief she did after discovering she had no STD's! Which was confirmed with a doctor the day after she arrived.

Another issue was, she found out how Janee was able to steal the video B recorded, she changed all of her passwords and was smart enough to add a pin to her phone for safety, a precaution that she didn't use before.

Thankfully, the trolls didn't take any other personal information or it would've been even more detrimental. Following that good news was the assault charges that were brought up. After further investigation into the video, it was determined that Kali ONLY consented to sex and NOT the recording of the video. Therefore an arrest warrant was filed and it was only a matter of days before they were in custody.

Unfortunately, they were able to bond themselves out while they waited for a hearing..that they would never make it to.

*****

New York, New York by the Dogg Pound stayed in constant rotation while Kali tackled the industry head on.

Charlamagne and Wendy gave her hell, but with the preparation she received before she left Atlanta from Nana, she held her own. Every time the videos were brought up, she would talk her way around and bring the attention back to the reason she was there...her music.

Her first day there she ended up going viral for a reason not as shocking as the first, which ushered in a new fan base. She participated in an impromptu R&B Cypher on Sway in the Morning, mixing in a mashup of lyrics from incomplete songs over a Summer Madness instrumental.

Talk about alignment. The song was so fire that she snuck away to record it in a studio in Jersey thanks to Sha's connections. Ashli was spot on about people's attention spans. Audiences were so caught up in new hot topics that the concerns over her videos lessened day by day. All in all, she was just happy to get back to a comfortable space after all that transpired.

*****

February 18, 2024- 1 week later

"All right baby, I'm about to go to my mama's house, gimme kiss." Janee leaned over to kiss Rico after a night of making love in the rented home used to hide out until their court date.

He leaned in and kissed her, savoring her lips with a smile as he pulled the 3,000 thread count sheets over his naked body."Tell ya mama I said I miss her cooking." He joked as she dressed in front of him.

"I will, I'll see what she has in the refrigerator while I'm there."

"Good. Lord knows you're losing your touch in the kitchen."

"You didn't propose to me for my cooking." She wiggled Kali's ring on her finger before leaning in to kiss him again while he rubbed circles on her ass.

"You ain't never lied." He laughed as he flicked his limp dick in appreciation of how she just rode him into nightfall.

She chuckled, turned on her heels and blew a kiss as she said her goodbye, not realizing it would be the last time they saw each other alive. She grabbed her purse and keys to get into her new car in their enclosed garage, unaware that the door leading to their kitchen closed slowly after the undetected intruder already entered.

As she pulled away, Rico finally rose to use the bathroom so he could kill time on the PS5. He went to make a quick sandwich and came back to sit in his gaming chair where the reflection of someone standing behind him startled him. Instinctively, he turned to see who it was but didn't stand a chance as B snapped his neck, twisting her head in a complete 180 on his shoulders.