Chapter 11: Family Business

If you haven't read Complicated or New Person, the following characters may be unfamiliar 🥴😬

~Kali~

I was so nervous as I tiptoed into the occupied studio quietly as if I would disturb the creative process of something on the level of Michael Jackson's Thriller. For some reason I relaxed when I came into the presence of a laid back sista working diligently on her computer, doing things an engineer usually did in the dimly lit room. She had nasally pleasing candles lit, and the music she was working on was at a comfortable volume for the mood she created. Her vibe was just so damn chill as she sat with her legs stretched out and the first thing I noticed were her new Jordan 6's. I only knew what they were because Lem just told me he bought some.

She was dressed comfortably in some distressed jeans and a hoodie while I looked down at myself feeling completely overdressed in the wide legged pants and heels. I stepped a little closer and spoke softly so I wouldn't scare her in the process.

"Hi. Nina? I'm Kali, nice to meet you." I greeted, knowing how goofy I looked with how hard I was grinning, but I was grateful she didn't make me feel like a creep as she grinned just as big. I fell in love with her dimples and found myself having a newly found crush.

"Aww hi Kali! My bad for not noticing you sooner. I was just finishing up here. How you doin?" She conversed as she got up to hug me in a warm embrace that enveloped me like I was a long lost family member.

"I'm good. Just a little nervous. I'm not gon lie."I admitted.

"Shiiiid don't be nervous sis. I'm the homie! Gone head and shake allat nervousness off at the door. Loosen up and have a seat. --she smiled as she sat back down and pointed to the rolling office chair next to her--go ahead and tell me about yourself."

"Well. I'm twenty four and music is my life, but unfortunately I feel like I'm on borrowed time since I'm starting out so late."

She raised her brows and sat back in her seat with her legs open. She was obviously a tom boy and by far the finest one I'd ever seen.

"Um, I come from a musical family.--I paused to laugh--A Lot of people called us the Jacksons or the black Partridge family because the whole household sang. It's why I love music so much. I'm extremely passionate about it to the point that I have to have it in every aspect of my day.

"Whew chile I can RELATE. Welp. I like you already..go on." She briefly cut in with a laugh that made me more comfortable.

I took a breath and looked her square in the eyes."I just really wanna sing. I want my music to heal people and I really believe that's why I was put on this earth. I play the piano and guitar, I write my own music, and I've even recorded before, but things haven't been necessarily working in my favor until recently. My goal is to make a name for myself outside of my siblings and make my parents proud." I finished and she had a sympathetic pout on her face.

"Wow..I felt that. I believe you. I believed you the moment you opened your mouth. Listen, can you sing something for me? Anything you like." She asked while crossing her leg over the other.

"Uh sure. May I?" I nodded toward the keyboard for her permission to play it and she made room for me without hesitation. I cleared my throat and took a moment before I began Loving by India Arie. It was something short, but I could also show a bit of range in the process.