Chapter 5: Afternoon Delight

~Kali~

"I'll take the high, you go low." I coached my student Jaz, a music engineer who wanted to take singing lessons for a future in music INSIDE the booth. She nodded in agreement as I began to play the chords on the piano.

"I sing, because I'm happy. I sing, because I'm freeeee." We sang, splitting the harmonies while I gestured to my ear so she could pay attention to our blending. She had to hear the note correctly in order to fit perfectly within the harmony. When she got it, I smiled like a proud parent until the section was complete.

"Look at you! That was Dope Jaz!"I exclaimed as I crossed my legs at the piano to turn toward her.

"Thank you! Our voices mesh well together. I might have to get you on a track sis." She winked as she playfully elbowed me and I couldn't help but blush.

"Hey, hey, hey, you know I'm down, just say the word. I'm out here tryna get noticed for something other than playing in the background. So let me know."

"And you will. You're dope Kali, you have waaaay too much talent to be doing this. I can't wait to see you on a larger stage."

"Yea me too. I appreciate that Jaz thank you." I smiled as I avoided eye contact, knowing I was a little too emotional since I was PMS'n--"now see, we gotta end the session cuz you're trying to make me cry."

"C'mere.--I stood to roughly pull her into a hug and she obliged, wrapping around me tightly.--And by the way, you're the dope one, a female music engineer, that is SICK you hear me. Female engineers and producers do something to my soul." I admitted as we pulled away.

"It's funny you say that. My mentor is a female producer and she's supposed to be coming down here soon for business. Something about a school-- she looked up, deep in thought trying to remember the details of said conversation until she blew it off-- Anyway, I can link you guys up if you want. Maybe make some magic together in the booth." She suggested while wiggling her perfectly arched eyebrows.

"Ayyye I'd like that, thank you!"

"Hey you know I gotchu.." She laughed as we shared a knowing glance. I left her studio and before going home, I stopped at a nearby Walmart to grab some Gelato I was craving since my period had started.

As I fumbled with my keys, I could hear B and his newest victim going at it and I rolled my eyes at all the noise, secretly wishing it was me yet again. B and I had been cordial since our encounter and he even was aware of his music lately. Maybe he felt guilty for how he basically got me fired, who knew... either way I was content.

Except when we would cross paths, then I'd be horny as hell. One thing about that man was and that's FINE, and being on my cycle,  I just knew that I had to keep busy to keep my mind clear. Ultimately, I decided to call my older brother, Harlem, to check in.

        "Bro!" I screamed on the phone as I bounced on the couch with my container of gelato and spoon

"Well, well, well. If it ain't the stranger herself deciding to use her phone." He sarcastically greeted me and I cracked up.