Introduction/ Chapter 1: Day and Nite

Kali Barnes, a thick chocolate, fun loving queen who was new to the South, having been born and raised up North in Detroit, was enjoying Atlanta for the most part. Expanding on a career in music, she moved to Atlanta with hopes of making it in the music industry as a vocalist. She came down for a change in scenery and a chance to distance herself from her overbearing family for an opportunity  to work as a vocal coach. She wanted to make her own path as an aspiring artist as quickly as possible, fearing that her time in the spotlight was nearing an end because of her age.

At twenty four and sexually inexperienced and totally embarrassed by it, Kali couldn't bring herself to focus on anything other than her career, so relationships were put on the back burner while she worked a side job to keep her comfortable until she made it. She worked in one of Atlanta's hottest strip clubs, known for A- list activity as a waitress to support the lifestyle she wanted to live. Between the money for tips and coaching jobs here and there, she made a decent enough living to move into a beautiful condo near downtown after living with her old friend, who was also from her city until her friend suddenly left town to live with her boyfriend. 

The day Kali got her keys and moved into her new spot was the beginning of a tumultuous relationship with the man who would turn her world upside down.

***

It had been a long, but successful day of moving into the luxurious two bedroom condo that was much different from the one she just vacated. It came with new appliances, new furniture, and washer and dryer in the unit, further exciting her since there was no need for the hassle of a laundromat.

The way the unit was set up, there were two units per structure and her neighbor was just a few feet away. So close that she could hear them through the paper thin walls, the only downside to the place she loved. As she sat in silence on her spacious living room floor, unpacking the last few boxes of dishes and other random objects, she could feel the bass from the 2pac song vibrating through the walls.

She could hear someone passionately rapping the lyrics verbatim as if they were directly in front of her and she facepalmed. This can't be happening so soon. She thought. She just got situated and hadn't even broke in her own music before her ears were being assaulted with the rap lyrics. 
Her music tastes consisted mainly of R&B/Soul, blues, jazz, and gospel, with some occasional pop, so the aggressive style of 2pac was already rubbing her the wrong way. Picking her thick frame up off the floor, she figured she'd go introduce herself while simultaneously talking her neighbor into being a little quieter.

She stepped out into the hallway and knocked on the thick door politely. Not knowing if it was intentionally ignored or not, she knocked louder. Still..no answer so she became more frustrated as she bawled her fist and pounded away on the door.

The music suddenly stopped and the door swung open harshly, and scared her half to death in the process before her eyes focused on the massive specimen in front of her. He was obviously irritated and looked a little disheveled with his 4c hair half braided. Her eyes combed over his toned mocha arms that protruded through the all black wife beater he wore. Secretly questioning the strategically marked raised keloids all over them. They looked tribal, but he didn't look like the type to be so connected to his lineage.

"Yo whatever you sellin I don't want it." He rudely dismissed while attempting to close the door in her face. She stuck her hand out to stop it from closing and his eyebrows furrowed at the gesture.-Look, I just told you--" He started again only to be cut off by Kali over talking him, something that really grinded his gears.

"I'm not selling anything. I-- I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Kali, your new neighbor, nice to meet you." She offered as polite as possible with her hand outstretched even though she was already turned off by his rude behavior. Not to mention his aura was muted and it made her slightly uncomfortable.