Lies We Tell

I had to hurry home because this is going to really bad. I had text messages from my grandparents on my mother's side asking where I was.

After 20 minutes, I finally arrived at home. I parked my car and was about to run inside with my ballet bag, but then I remembered and put my ballet things into the trunk.

I entered the house to find everyone in the family room. I saw my grandparents and my uncle talking to Mark's family. They looked like they were bonding.

"Hey everyone. I'm sorry I was late I had cheer practice and I lost track of the time", I said with a huge smile on my face. I still lied, but I don't care.

"There's my ballet angel", my uncle John said as he gave me a huge hug. I loved my uncle John. He was very protective over my mom and I. Adam can tell you that.

Even though Adam's family knew my family, we still had many family dinners. My uncle would bombard Adam with these tricky questions. Adam was actually intimidated by my uncle. My dad always took up for Adam.

That was before he died. My dad was an only child, so his death was very upsetting for my grandparents. I haven't spoken to them since my mom married Mark.

I always wondered why haven't they contacted me. Do they even love me? I've asked my mom plenty of times why they haven't called me or wanted to see me and she gave me the same boring answer.

"I don't know Amber. That's something I don't have the answer to."

"I missed you so much Uncle John", I said.

"So how's my ballerina", he asked.

"Amber no longer does ballet.", Mark interrupted.

"Excuse me", my uncle cleared his throat.

"Oh yeah. She's a cheerleader now John. A very good cheerleader.",my mom commented.

"Since when di-.....

"Come meet my family Amber", Mark stated interrupted my uncle John's thoughts. If he knew my uncle like I knew him, he wouldn't dare interrupt him. I kept a smile on my face as I made my way over to the family.

They looked like a strange family, like they had something to hide.... Mark put his hand around my waist as I stood beside him. He must notice when I tried to maneuver my way out because he gripped my waist tighter.

"Amber this is my mom, Cynthia and my brother Mason. You've already met my dad...... Everyone this is my step daughter, Amber"

"Nice to meet all of you", I greeted politely. I was relieved when his brother pulled me into a hug.

"You're so beautiful. That's very surprising.... Well not saying you were gonna be ugly because you're not...its just I'm happy to see you've been untouched."

What did he mean he's happy I've been untouched?
After he said that the entire family gave him daring looks. They wanted him to keep quiet.

"Umm Mason be quiet. Its good to finally see my step grandaughter. You are one beautiful girl. Oh and we met your boyfriend", his mom interrupted.

"Oh really where did yo-", before I could finish my sentence a pair of hands covered my eyes.

"Guess who babe"

"Is it my basketball player"

"Yes indeed it is"

I turned around and hugged him tightly. I looked at my Mark and he look pissed. His fist were balled up and I guess his brother noticed it because when I looked at him, he looked down at his feet.