How to Hold on to Someone Who Won't Stay

Chandler's POV:

I had a dream last night. Arabella moved in right next to my house, and she acted so shy around me. Eventually we became good friends and one night, to hang out, we stood on either side of the fence to talk. I don't remember what we talked about, but I didn't care.

I woke up with one thought in mind.

I'm in love with Arabella.

Arabella's POV:

As I lay in the hospital bed, in Chandler's jacket and my too-big Hollister sweatpants, I think about what happened today. From the note to the movies to Caroline to Walmart to the guy with the gun... It's all just too much.

I turn on Pandora on my phone, to find out Noah's been using my phone, but it doesn't bother me. Instead of 'Today's Hits' it's on 'Old Rock.' The first song playing is called "Sweet Caroline."

Well never mind. I turn off Pandora and lie back down. The irony reminds me of the dance several months ago, with all the songs playing perfect moments.

That was a fun night. There was no Caroline. No worries. No bad vibes. No stress. I mean, except for Tyler, and the dark room, and Sam and Hollie, but it was all okay in the end. Maybe that means everything happening now is gonna be okay?

Being a teenager sucks.

I jump when my phone starts vibrating. Chandler's calling.

I answer, "Hey what's up?"

He replies quickly, "I'm sorry about Sam... Uh... He, uh... He's oblivious to some things. Communication, for example. Once again, I'm sorry-"

"You don't have to apologize. It's okay."

"Well... All I really wanted to do was talk to you. I know it sounds weird-"

"It doesn't sound weird at all. If anything, especially now, it sounds sane."

It's funny; My own boyfriend doesn't want to talk to me, but his best friend does. I'm starting to wonder if Chandler's a better man than Sam.

"How do you hold on to someone who won't stay? And how do you lose someone who won't go?" I ask after a while.

"I wish I knew."

"Tomorrow I'm gonna confront him. I googled what to do-I know its kinda cliché and a little stupid- but it said that in a healthy relationship, it's proper to confront the other... Or something like that."

Chandler sighs on the other line, "Just do what you do best. I'm not good at making decisions."

I nod. Then I remember he can't see me through the phone. Oops. "You're right. I'll tell him tomorrow."

"Alright."

"Well I'm gonna go to sleep. We can hang out tomorrow?"

"That would be good... Well technically it's already tomorrow, it's 3:15 in the morning, so-"

"I don't care what time it is. I don't call it 'tomorrow' until after I wake up... Wait, why'd you call at 3:15 in the morning?"

"I figured you'd be up."

"You figured right."

Chandler's POV:

"Well... Goodnight, Chandler," Arabella says.

"Goodnight. I l-" I almost said I loved her.

"What?"

"What?"

She chuckles. "Goodnight, Chandler."

"Night."

Arabella's POV:

I wake up the next morning. I shower and get dressed. I put Chandler's jacket on over my sweater that says "I EAT GLITTER FOR BREAKFAST" and walk out of the hotel room. It's around noon, so Sam should be up. When I get to his house, I knock. No answer. "Sam?" I ask. I check to see if the door is unlocked. It is. He must've left it unlocked for me, or something.

So I walk in.

But I don't like what I see.

I see Caroline sleeping on the couch, with Sam on the ground next to her.

"Sam?!?!!!"

He jolts awake. "Shit."