Chapter 79

June, 34 weeks

**YOUR POV**

A few hours later that night, Harry was asleep, his face snuggled into his pillow while he slept on his bare stomach.

I pressed with my finger against the same spot on my belly that has been battered from the inside on and off for at least the last three hours. I inhaled and exhaled slowly and for the millionth time, I tried to convince the baby inside of me to match my sleep schedule.

She developed a habit over the last week of waking me up at odd hours of the night. The first night it had been a fluke, but when a pattern had developed I'd started getting grouchy. It didn't help that Harry was sound asleep. I woke him up the first few times, but now I just let him sleep. Fresh from sleep and often deprived of it he was pretty much useless in the dark of the night to do anything but showing sympathy and drift right back to dreamland. Not that I could really expect him to do much of anything, but it would have been nice if he stayed up with me. I couldn't be upset about it though. He was very tired of work and everything else that had to get done.

Another kick was the last straw to break my back. I pushed the blankets back a bit and slowly got up. It was awkward with me being rounder and heavier now, but I managed to stand and shuffle across the floor and out the door.

I sighed with relief when I lowered myself down onto the couch when I got downstairs, but it was short-lived when I felt another kick.

„Come on, baby." I whispered. „Please let your mummy sleep?"

I tried to be extra quiet, since it was midnight and Anne and Harry were asleep.

„You should be in bed honey, what are you doing down here?" I heard Anne's sleepy voice and saw her walking down the stairs towards me.

„Sorry, I didn't want to wake you up, Anne." I told her and wanted to get up off the couch.

„No, no stay, don't worry, I couldn't sleep anyways." She smiled and sat down next to me. „So, are you alright, sweetie? Do you need something?"

„No, thank you. It's just the baby. She is kicking around so much lately, mostly during the nights and now I just had to get up and out of bed." I explained.

„Oh, I know how it feels. Harry was exactly the same when I was pregnant with him." She let out a laugh.

„She really comes after her dad." I chuckled.

„It seems like she does." She laughed. „Unfortunately, there's not much you can do about it. I always drank a cup of warm milk, that was the only thing that really helped to calm him down." Anne smiled at me.

„I already tried that one." I admitted. „It didn't work either, nothing does. It's like as she would be in her own little world."

„Well, since we are both up, do you want to watch some TV?" She asked me.

„If you don't mind."

„Of course I don't." She smiled. „I'll be in my bedroom reading. Call me if you need anything."

„Okay, thank you."

I grabbed the remote for the TV and pressed the power button before quickly muting it so as not to wake Harry with the noise. I wanted him to sleep through the night without me bothering him.

I winced from another kick that was a little harder. Well, maybe Harry's company would be nice, even though he was asleep.

„What's wrong?" Harry was standing in the doorway, barefoot and his hair pulled back in a loose bun, with a t-shirt and shorts on. He looked confused and concerned and I knew his eyes were still adjusting to the darkness and to being awake because he was only kind of looking in my direction. „What are you doing down here, not in bed?"

„Go back to sleep." I mumbled tiredly. „I'm fine."

„Is it the baby?"

I nodded. „She won't stop kicking." I rubbed soft circles on my belly. „It burns a bit."

Harry looked worried by that but I shook my head.

„Go back to bed." I repeated with a little smile. „We'll be fine."

Harry stood there for a moment more before turning and walking back to the bedroom. Not long after, though, he reappeared with a blanket and joined me on the sofa with full arms and almost tripping over the blanket that he dragged behind.

„What are you–."

„Budge over." He said in a scratchy voice. I huffed at him but did what he requested and he adjusted himself so he fit next to me better.

He placed one hand over the top of my belly and rubbed it.

„Where is she going for?" He asked.

„Lower." I took his hand and guided it to my side and almost instantly there was a kick to his palm.

„Oi." He let out a laugh, almost jumping up in surprise. „Rude little miss, aren't you?"

„I'd kick you if you called me a rude little miss." I told him. Harry ignored me, just laughing and rubbed my belly lightly.

„Settle down in there, please." He requested in a slow voice that spread warmth like a hot tea. „How many times am I going to have to tell you to be good to Mummy?"

Harry leaned down a little farther and pressed his ear to my stomach. „She was trying to sleep, wasn't she? It's not nice to wake her up. I quite like sleeping next to her, too, you know that?" Harry yawned and smiled when there was another kick. „So imagine my surprise when I wake up and she's out here. Everyone's unhappy then, right?"

„Keep talking." I mumbled with drooping eyes.

„Is she settling?" Harry asked me.

„Maybe, I'm not quite sure."

„You love your mum already, hmm? Want some of her attention?" Harry said when I leaned against his shoulder.

My hand felt nice and heavy against it and Harry's quiet voice was even and peaceful and I felt it slowly pulling me under into sleep.

When I woke up it was light outside and Harry was passed out on my stomach. I couldn't see his face but I could tell his mouth was open because he was snoring lightly and I smiled a bit and run my fingers through his hair, which was falling loose from his bun.

„What's the matter?" Harry mumbled, disorientated, sitting up a bit. He turned into a much lighter, hyper aware sleeper since the seventh month of my pregnancy and I was still getting used to his new sensitivity.

„Shh." I twirled his soft locks around my fingers. „Go back to sleep, we're fine." I smiled at him and pressed a kiss on his forehead, resting my hand on his warm chest. „Sleep well, honey."