Chapter 118

January 2019
**YOUR POV**
Anne and my mum stayed another week to celebrate the new year with us. Of course Avery was asleep at midnight as we all celebrated and touched glasses when it was 12 pm and the new year arrived, but she was there, just besides us in her bassinet in our living room. Gemma and her boyfriend Michal were there and of course Harry's and my mum. It was a special night for me. I always loved being around my family and friends and it made me feel so safe.

I stood in the kitchen, watching everyone sitting on the couch in the living room as they laughed, having fun, drinking, eating and just enjoy the time. I was happy, so happy, but something was still missing...
I sighed, turning around to the kitchen sink and started to clear up a little bit since it was already late.

I put the clean glasses into the cabinet as I felt warm hands wrapping around my waist from behind me and a chin leaning on my left shoulder. I closed my eyes for a few seconds to his calm breathing and his lovely scent I inhaled and leaned back against his chest. I felt his long curls tickling my neck and he softly kissed my neck.

„What are you doing here?" He asked me, letting go of me. He leaned against the kitchen island. „Come back to us." He looked back to our family before looking at me again.

„I thought I'd start to clean up a bit. We will be too tired tomorrow." I told him, giving him a small smile.

He looked at me for a few seconds. „What's up, Grace?"

„Why do you always think something's up?" I frowned a bit annoyed to the fact, that I couldn't hide anything from him.

„Because I know you, love." He chuckled. „So, tell me. Are you not happy?"

„No, I am, I am happy. Really happy." I told him, looking down on the floor.

„What is it then, hm?" He asked softly and ran his thumb over my cheek.

„I uhm..." Tears welled up in my eyes. „I miss him, you know?" I said quietly with my voice braking.

„Oh honey." He stretched his arms out and I almost fell into them. „I'm sorry, I didn't think about your dad."

„It's okay." I sobbed. „I try to get over it and move on...I tried to deal with it, I did, but when there are holidays like Christmas or new years day, it hits me like a ton of bricks again." I told him. „I shouldn't still be crying over it, not even my mum is."

„It's okay to cry, Grace and it's okay to not be over it." He rubbed my back soothingly and pressing me more to his chest. „Your father passed away, that's not something to get over it easily. And who says you have to get over it? You're obviously still grieving and that's okay as long as you're still happy."

I nodded, looking up at him. „Thanks." I smiled a little. „I just know, that if he was here, he would be sitting in the arm chair in the corner, holding Avery even if she was asleep. He would hold her and watch her for hours. I just know."

„He is always protecting our princess, even though we can't see him." Harry whispered, smiling down at me.

„Yeah, he is." I agreed and he pressed his lips on my cheek.

„Now, dry your tears and come back celebrating with us." He let go of me but still had his hands placed on both of my upper arms, rubbing them gently.

„I'll be right there. Just a second." I told him and he got back to our family before I dried my tears and got back to them too. We had a wonderful night together and I knew this new year was gonna be great.

*

The next day, Anne went back home to Manchester. My mum would leave in the evening for Glasgow. Gemma and Michal lived nearby so they just went home.

So, my mum had been around with us at home and she was trying to get Avery to say ‚mama' and ‚dada', but Avery wasn't even trying. She just turned away from my mum and would thrust her arms to me or Harry, whoever was closest. It was a good sign though, it meant her stranger anxiety was starting to set in and she was cooing and making noises.

She was small for 5 months, but extremely quick at progressing and learning. She could recognize her own name, she was starting to sit up momentarily without support, so Harry and I were extremely happy to know she was healthy.

„See you soon mum. Thanks for coming around and spent the holidays with us." I hugged my mum and kissed her cheek as she was about to go.

„Of course, I loved it thank you." She smiled at me. „And Aves is beautiful and you're lucky to have Harry every step of the way. I know things can get tough, but you'll get through it. You love Harry and Avery more than you love anyone and everyone can see that. And I'm so proud of you." A tear ran down my face and I gave my mum another tight hug before she left.

„Your mum loves Avery so much." Harry said with our princess sitting on his lap as we sat on the couch together. I nodded, agreeing with him.

„She does and she seems to think we should be encouraging Avery to start babbling what we're saying." Harry looked at me, then back down to Avery.

„Avery, can you say mummy? Mama?" She made a squealing noise and we both laughed.

„Can you say dada? Dada, dada, dada." I repeated and leaned into Harry, dropping my head to his shoulder. Avery started to make noises, so I pulled my phone out and started recording her. She was sucking her hands and making herself squeal and then making noises that sounded like she was singing.

„Da-da." She mumbled and then went back playing with her hands.

„Can you say that again, Aves? What did you say? Did you say Dada?" I said and she looked at me.

„Da-da, Da-da." Our eyes opened wide and we smiled at each other.

„Well done baby, what a good girl." I turned the video off and leaned over to kiss her cheeks.

„I can't believe she's 5 months old already. I want another." Harry said, smiling at me.

„Okay pop star, calm down." I said chuckling. „I don't think I'm 100% healed from pushing this little one out yet, let's wait till she's at least 1 and we can talk about it." Harry nodded as an answer.

„You definitely want another though?" He asked hopefully.

„Of course. Avery needs a sibling." I kissed Harry's cheek and then Avery's. I'll go make dinner now." I got off the couch and headed to the kitchen.