A showcase with @survivalofth3fittest, author of To the Ground

1 what inspired the idea of your story?

Lord of the Flies inspired a lot of my book and my writing style. I even named one of my characters after Jack Merridew.

2 what is something you struggled constructing with your story?

 Pacing. I didn't want to throw in a lot at once, but I felt as if it was necessary since these teenagers are being introduced to a new world.

3 what did you enjoy writing most of your story?

 Characters!!! I love my characters with everything I have in me.

4 what's the overall response of your story from your readers?

They enjoy it, which makes me super happy! 

5 is your story a stand alone novel or a piece of a series ?

It is a stand alone with 3 parts in one.

6 what would you like your readers to take away from your story?

 I would like my readers to take away how anybody can learn to step up and be a leader. With certain scenes, I would like them to take away the fact that it will get better despite thinking otherwise. Lastly, I want to show them how fast people can change and adapt to their environment and how quickly someone can derail no matter how happy they were before. There are lots of mental health factors in this book and they shouldn't be overlooked and I am making sure it doesn't happen.

7 what advice would you provide to fellow writers, when it comes to focusing on their own story?

Plan ahead. Even just little notes, it helps! And write every single day! If you don't write, do something that involves your book like making a playlist for it, or drawing your characters. And make sure to get attached to your characters!!!  

8 does your main character share any similarities to yourself?

My main character struggles with anxiety and being shy, which I totally relate to! Even then, he has ambitions to be a leader, which I can also see myself in. 

9 what is something about your story you believe would draw in new readers?

The fact that they're all teenagers trying to survive. No adults, no rules, just themselves to establish civilization. Not to mention the fact that most of them have never been faced with their own drastic decision making. 

10 do you have any future projects?

Not at the moment