A showcase with @cassandraweaver01, author of: A Scarlet Shadow

1 what inspired the idea of your story?

 I was bored in class, and decided to write down random character names. It was originally a combination of Moby Dick and Land of Stories by Chris Colfer but has since expanded. The romance between the two leads is based on my own relationship.

2 what is something you struggled constructing with your story?

It was difficult when I started on the first draft without knowing what I was doing but I took a step back and gathered my thoughts, then I was able to breeze through it.

3 what did you enjoy writing most of your story?

 Besides the romance between the two leads, I loved doing the scenes of action. I used my own experience with fencing as well as my love of Star Wars to write them as engaging as possible.

4 what's the overall response of your story from your readers?

From the friends and family I've shown it to, they have really enjoyed it.

5 is your story a stand alone novel or a piece of a series ?

a piece of a series

6 what would you like your readers to take away from your story?

I would like them to know that love can flourish no matter who you are, where you're from, or what you've been through. I would also want them to see that characters can be multi-faceted, known for their multitudes just like people.

7 what advice would you provide to fellow writers, when it comes to focusing on their own story?

 Knowing where you want the story to end helps mitigate confusion and backtracking. If you know how you want it to end, there's much more wiggle room in the middle to explore whatever you want. Putting on whatever music you need to focus is an excellent tool (it doesn't have to necessarily be classical, I've listened to Motionless in White and Alice Cooper while writing).

8 does your main character share any similarities to yourself?

She does, she's curious and inquisitive, just like me. She also is gay, just like me as well. I did base her partially off me, but I also let her have her own personality that was shaped by her surroundings and upbringing.

9 what is something about your story you believe would draw in new readers?

 I do think the characters are a big draw, especially their interactions. Even in a fantasy story, Jasmine and her brother speak like siblings you'd perhaps knew. Jasmine and the other lead's romance is similar to one we'd see in real life.

10 do you have any future projects?

 Besides the rest of the series, I do have other ideas in varying stages of development. Once I finish this story, I'll share those in greater detail.