A showcase with @TEZofAllTrades author of: Gideon Drake and the Fire Within

1 what inspired the idea of your story?

After re-reading/re-watching the Harry Potter books and films for the umpteenth time during covid lockdown, I wanted more. I couldn't find what I was looking for in fan fiction, so I decided to try writing it myself!

2 what is something you struggled constructing with your story?

 I'm prone to procrastination, so finding ways to keep myself going without getting distracted was tricky. Also, writing can be a lonely hobby. Playing music on a very low volume while writing has been helpful.

3 what did you enjoy writing most of your story?

 Expanding the Wizarding World with new characters, spells, lore, and technology without getting carried away or defying established canon was a lot of fun for me.

4 what's the overall response of your story from your readers?

Selling the "original fanfic" concept has been an uphill battle, but those that give it a chance seem to like it. I've actually been blown away by the response from readers. I never thought I was capable of writing a book let alone one that people actually enjoy, so it's been a really gratifying experience.

5 is your story a stand alone novel or a piece of a series ?

It can be read as a standalone story, but I am working on a sequel.

6 what would you like your readers to take away from your story?

 A big theme of my story is how such seemingly different people can relate to each other, if we're open to it. Moreover, how we don't all have to fit in a box (or House!) or conform to expectations.

7 what advice would you provide to fellow writers, when it comes to focusing on their own story?

Write the story you want to read!

8 does your main character share any similarities to yourself?

 Apart from having a hair style I once rocked in the 00s, Gideon isn't much like me. He's more of an introvert and less prone to foot-in-mouth syndrome.

9 what is something about your story you believe would draw in new readers?

It's the Harry Potter sequel fans have been waiting for! Okay, that's a reach. It doesn't revolve around Harry & Co, so it's more of a spinoff, but it's set in recent years and includes lots of cameos/easter eggs. This gives fans the chance to return to the Wizarding World and see how it's changed, while experiencing a brand-new story. In that regard, it's similar to Fantastic Beasts.

10 do you have any future projects?

 The next "season" of my illustrated Pokemon story is going to be posted throughout December. After that, I will (should) finally be trying my hand at an original story!

Meet The Authors Showcase Edition #3 (3 of 3)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara