Chapter Forty: Hag in Pink

Y/N POV

Hermione and I had one last patrol before the train came to a stop. We made sure that all of the students had gotten off of the train and oddly, Hagrid was not there for the first years. When we made sure that they were situated we joined up with the others at the carriages and Harry was looking at the Thestral in front of him. "What are those things, you reckon?" He asked.

Luna, Neville, and myself were the only ones to not look at him in confusion. "What things?" Ron asked.

"Those horses," he said as we had gotten onto the carriage, after helping him with Pigwidgeon.

"What horse thing?" Is he okay?" She asked looking at me.

"He's talking about the Thestrals that pull the carriages," I said.

"You mean the creatures-"

"Yep, anyone can see if someone has died in front of them. I can see them. So can Luna. Can you see them Nev?"

"Yeah. They're strange, is all," he said.

"You're not going mad. We can see them too. You're just as sane as we are," Luna said, pulling down her copy of the Quibbler. And with her smile, we were taken to the castle.

We were now in the Great Hall as Grandfather started his speech. "I beg a few moments of your attention," he asked, making that hall fall quiet. "I have a few start of term announcements. Right off, our caretaker, the good M. Filch has reminded me for what he says is the four-hundred and sixty-second time that he had annually updated a list of various banned items, usually introduced by our humor experts Fred and George Weasley." And as their names were said laughter was here as they got up and bowed as Grandfather smiled at them before continuing. "Which are posted in extensive list on the door to Mr.Filch's office. Also, we have two staffing changes this year. I am pleased to announce...that none other than Newt Scamander will be taking the post of Care of Magical Creatures post as Professor Hagrid is on...extended leave."

(A/N: Just picture him a little older

(A/N: Just picture him a little older.)

I actually knew about this change. I don't know where Hagrid is, but Dad said that Newt would be here for the term and possibly longer. He is also a part of the Order, along with his wife Tina, formerly Goldstine, Scamander. I'm really excited for his class, but no one could ever replace Hagrid.

"Additionally, we have Professor Umbridge, who has kindly agreed to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Art-"

"Did I hear that right?" I said.

"Hem-hem. Headmaster, if I could address the school?" The hag in pink interrupted.

(A/N: I think we all have to admit that the actress that played as Umbridge did a really good job.)

"Did she just-" Hermione started.

"She did," I said to her.

Grandfather looked at Umbridge as Grandma started with a look that could kill. He allowed for her to speak.