Chapter Twenty-two: Defense Against the Hooded Demons

Y/N POV

It was now the next day and we were going to Hagrid's since we haven't had the time to visit him, but we do have some time now. Hermione, Jess, and I have decided that we were going to have to act like Black is still after Harry when we know the truth. Well, at least have a very good theory about it as we still don't know for sure. It is still a possibility that we are wrong. When we arrived we found that his home was topped with fresh snow. Ron knocked on the door, but there was no answer. "He's not out is he?" Hermione asked, shivering and I then wrapped my arm around her.

Ron then put his ear to the door and said, "there's a weird noise. Listen, is that Fang? Think we'd better go and get someone?"

"Hagrid! Hagrid, are you in there?" Harry asked. Hagrid then came to the door taking a few footsteps. He was crying as his eyes were swollen.

"You've heard?" He asked.

"Hagrid, what is it?" Hermione asked.

"It's Buckbeak, isn't it?" I asked.

Harry then spotted a letter on the table, picked it up and began to read it:

Dear Mr. Hagrid,

Further to our inquiry into the attack by a Hippogriff on a student in your class, we have accepted the assurances of Professor Dumbledore that you bear no responsibility for the regrettable incident.

"Then that's okay, Hagrid!" Ron said in a way to help cheer him up.

"There's more," I said.

However, we must register our concern about the Hippogriff in question. We have decided to uphold the official complaint of Mr. Lucius Malfoy, and this matter will therefore be taken to the Committee for the Disposal of Dangerous Creatures. This hearing will take place on April 20th, and we ask you to present yourself and your Hippogriff at the Committee's offices in London on that date. In the meantime, the Hippogriff should be kept tethered and isolated.

"Next time I see Lucius I'm going to give him a piece of my mind," I said.

"But you said Buckbeak isn't a bad Hippogriff, Hagrid. I bet he'll get off," Ron said.

"Yeh don't know them gargoyles at the Committee fer the Disposal o' Dangerous Creatures! They've got it in fer interestin' creatures!" Hagrid sobbed. Buckbeak was inside eating something that had bled onto the floor. "I couldn' leave him tied up out there in the snow! All on his own. At christmas."

"Lance saved his entire species and I'll save him. We are going to put up a strong defense to prove that he is safe and then Malfoy's reputation can take a real hit too," I said.

"You call us as witnesses! I'm sure I've read about a case of Hippogriff-baiting where the Hippogriff got off," Hermione said.

"Together then?" I asked her.

"Together," she agreed.

Hagrid thanked us and then allowed me to come near Buckbeak since he liked me. I brought Hermione with me. Hermione bowed, since Buckbeak told me that I didn't have to. "Hey, Buckbeak. This is Hermione. She's my best friend and a wonderful person. You're going to love her."

I would love to meet your best friend. But, she means more to you doesn't she? Buckbeak asked me.

She does, I said to him.

"He said that you come closer," I said to Hermione. She then walked up next to me. I then gently put my hand on his head. Hermione then did the same. He then chirped a little loudly to our surprise. "He likes you," I said to her and grabbed her hand. From the corner of my eye, I could see the others with a smile at the both of us.