Chapter Twelve: Warning Signs

Y/N POV

It was now the day later and as I was told the other day Dumbledore made an announcement during breakfast about the study sessions that are going to be happening on Wednesdays for two hours, but he didn't say that I was the one leading the sessions as it was decided that each year would have a different person leading it. I was able to hear a lot of students saying that they would be there which was nice to see that they did care. Draco was spewing his nonsense about the sessions and other remarks about them. His close friends laughed and were agreeing with him, but a good portion of the Slytherins did not pay attention to him. This seems to be lifting spirits of the student population, especially since the whole Chamber of Secrets thing. I tried looking up any information on it, but could not find a thing. I also haven't heard the voice again, but it's still around. Call it intuition. The others told me that they would be at the meetings, so I have that going for me. After breakfast we went to our classes. I was listening to all of the lessons, and I was taking notes of what I might want to cover, review, or what I noticed other students had trouble with that way I can help them more efficiently. I also tried to examine the teaching styles of the professors, but found that doing three things at once to be a little much, so that was placed onto the back burner of my mind. Next we had transfiguration.

"Could I have your attention, please?" Professor McGongall started, "right. Now, today, we will be transforming animals into water goblets. Like so. One, two, three, Vera verto." And as she said that the bird was turned into a silver goblet. "Now it's your turn. Well, who would like to go first? Ah! Mr. Weasley. "One, two, three. Vera verto."

"Ahem," Ron said while tapping his broken wand onto Scabbers, his rate that has been alive for many years now. I could hear the rat think 'don't do it master.' What? I have heard the rat think about rat things, manly cheese, but this was different. "Vera verto!" Ron casted changing the rat into a a goblet, but it was more like it changed shape, not texture as it still had its fur and tail. This caused the class to laugh, and I chuckled too.

"That wand needs replacing, Mr. Weasley. Yes, Miss Granger?" Grandma called on since Hermione's hand was raised.

"Professor, I was wondering if you could tell us about...the Chamber of Secrets?" Hermione asked.

"Well, very well. Well, you all know, of course, that Hogwarts was founded over a thousand years ago by the four greatest witches and wizards of the age: Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Salazar Slytherin. Now, three of the founders coexisted quite harmoniously. One did not," she started.

"Three guesses who," Ron whispered.

"Salazar Slytherin wished to be more selective about the students admitted to Hogwarts. He believed magical learning should be kept within all-magic families. In other words, 'pure-bloods.' Unable to sway the others, he decided to leave the school. Now, according to legend, Slytherin had built a hidden chamber in this castle, known as the Chamber of Secrets. Though, shortly before departing, he sealed it until that time when his own true heir returned to the school. The heir alone would be able to open the Chamber and unleash the horror within, and by so doing purge the school of all those who, in Slytherin's view, were unworthy to study magic," Grandma continued.

"Muggle-borns," Hermione said a little more quietly. I took my hand and held her hand to comfort her. I also told Jess a few things to comfort her too in our minds.

"Well, naturally, the school had been searched many times. No such chamber has been found," Grandma finished.

"Professor? What exactly does legend tell us lies within the Chamber?" Hermione pressed on.

"Well, the Chamber is said to be home to something that only the Heir of Slytherin can control. It is said to be the home of a monster," she answered. I was thinking about what we had just been told, but I was pulled out of my thoughts as the lecture was back to the animals and the goblets. Before we left the class grandma wanted to talk to me about what happened and if I am ok. She could tell that I was worried about Hermione and Jess. She said some kind words that help me get out of it and then let me go.