June: You

Before we start, let us say,
Happy Birthday, Eddy! 😆

--

June 2014, The Same Day

"Eddy, do you want some coffee?" I asked from the dining table as soon as Eddy comes into the kitchen. My hand is brewing our favorite caramel coffee.

Eddy nods, then put some bread into the toaster. He then just stared blankly somewhere while waiting for the toast. He must be tired after he finished his piano practice earlier.

I put a cup of coffee in front of him, causing the master to look back with a confused look.

I smiled warmly. "You can daydream again later, Ed."

"Oh, caramel," said Eddy, sipping my coffee a bit. His smile lifted slightly. "You know, Kelly sometimes bought me the same coffee before."

I smiled silently at that. I'm used to it by now since he always said the same thing in this year.

I didn't dare to say anything, at least not in front of him. Of all the things he's been through, I just want to make sure Eddy doesn't do anything that hurts him.

I ate my last bread, then immediately wash the dishes. I have to go to campus for a while today to meet my supervisor. My thesis is still in the research process and I have to submit it in a few months.

In contrast to Eddy, who's just ignorant to his studies now. After that terrible incident happened to him, he barely went to his campus. He suddenly ignored his almost finished thesis. I guess his supervisor is already tired of looking for him because of his ignorance.

Honestly, I felt sorry for him. I had no idea that Eddy could be this weak because of a girl. Not gonna lie, I also understand how it feels to be betrayed. Little did he know, I also secretly felt the same way as he is now from the past years.

After hanging my backpack on my shoulder, my feet brought me back to Eddy, who was still silent at the dinner table. My eyes glanced at his breakfast which he had not touched at all.

Eddy turns to me. "You're going... somewhere?"

I nod. My hand lands on Eddy's shoulder softly. "You don't have any thesis guidance schedule, right? I'll leave the apartement to you for a while, okay? I won't be long."

Eddy nods with a blank face. "I can practice the piano again while you're at it."

I paused for a moment, then sighs. I took the time to mess Eddy's hair dearly before leaving. "Happy practice then. I love to hear you play some classical music sometime."

My heart feels tight. I don't want to deny that I miss Eddy's cheerful trait. I felt warm seeing his enthusiasm for music. But I also don't want to accept, that Eddy sitting on the piano stool is a sign that he is too drown into his sadness. His smile sometimes does lights up when I talk to him, but mostly it was just a fake one.

I'm only a nobody. What else I can do other than accompanying him everyday? What can I do to make him happy again?

---

I walked on the campus grounds while trying to pretend to be deaf. Some people seemed to pass me as they whispers to their friends, though I could still quite hear some of the sentences they were saying.

"Hey, that's her. Turns out she's still active on campus, huh."

"What's up with her?"

"You don't know? She got picked up by a man after class one or two times before, but I heard now that man lives in her apartment."

"For real? Isn't that guy Kelly's boyfriend, the campus star next door?"

"I heard from my friend over there, Kelly left him. The man is depressed now!"

I walked quickly while tightly hugging my college textbooks to my chest, avoiding the haphazard whisper. But yet a few metres ahead, I heard another whisper.

"Look, it's the weird student. She used to be close to Ray, but now she shares a house with another man."

"Hahaha... I know right, who does she think she is cheating on Ray like that?"

Okay, that's it. I should hurry home after this, I thought. I start to speed up  until I arrived at my faculty campus building. I hurriedly get into the elevator, then silently let my tears stream down my cheeks.

This isn't the first time I've heard some false gossip about Eddy. Several times my ears caught the obscure information spreading in the campus area, but I always erased it from my mind because I knew that Eddy's ex was indeed a quite famous girl, even to my campus.

I understand that a lot of people dig up information about her, down to her personal life. But I didn't expect Ray to be brought around either. Now they are not only spreading bad information about Eddy's life, but mine as well.

I don't even date Ray. He's just a friend passing by. And...

Sigh. How can we both be so unfortunate, to be close to the famous on our respective campuses. Now they're thinking nonsense when they find out that Eddy lives in my apartment.

I'm not sure if Eddy realized it, but misinformation about him always hurt me terribly.

I wiped my tears as soon as the elevator reached the seventh floor, where my supervisor is. I took a breath for a moment, then immediately go for what I have to finish here so I can quickly go back to accompany Eddy at the apartment. That is all my main goal today.

Loving you is already hurting me. But, I don't care. I'll do it for your happiness.

To be continued :)