Chapter 72 - Family

Sorry for any mistakes

Mia's p.o.v

Caked in sweat, in intense pain and utterly exhausted I just needed the one thing that made me feel comfortable. Daryl. I didn't even really need to ask, Daryl has been more than perfect dealing with this situation for the first time. He just jumps at the chance to help.

I watched him kick off his boots and take off his shirt revealing his bare torso, I blushed slightly when his eyes caught mine. He always made my heart skip a beat, he carefully joined me on the bed wrapping himself around me protectively, I'd never felt so safe.

"Better?" He mumbled into my neck.

I nodded letting out a little sigh of relief, every time I tensed he could sense my contractions to which he proceeded to rub my sides distracting me from the pain as much as he could.

"Have you thought of any more names." I hummed rubbing my thumb in circles on his hand.

Daryl readjusted himself slightly I guess the question made him uncomfortable because he was a little tense and grunting.

"You think maybe you could run me a bath?"

He kissed my head and silently mooched into the bathroom the sounds of flowing water shortly followed. I let out a soft sigh gentling rubbing my bump thinking about the question I just asked Daryl because I haven't thought of names myself yet.

"It's uh ready." He mumbled poking his head around the doorframe,

I let out a big sigh trying to pump myself up for the small walk ahead of me that was going to feel like a marathon. Daryl assisted me to the tub and helped me settle, the water engulfed me quickly soothing my aches and pains.

"Better?" He questioned.

All I could managing was a small squeak as I felt the familiar sensation of the next contraction creeping up on me. Dare's hand started to rub my lower back in circular motions as I guess he's started to recognised my contractions now.

"What about Gracie or Grace?" He said softly.

"Mmm that sounds good." I breathed

He kissed my bare shoulder, You got this."

I shook my head, "Oooo no I don't, I don't got this. Jesus it hurts!"

The pain was ripping through me and unfortunately I couldn't beg for pain relief as it's not something Harlan could get his hands on. As I fidgeted around the tub and grunted and groaned Daryl soothed me as much as he could.

"God I forgot how much it hurt bringing a baby into the world." I breathed kneeling in the tub.

Daryl pulled a pitiful face, "M' sorry."

My face fell slightly, "Don't be, she's worth it."

"Yknow I could try this uh, um thing I read."

"Thing you read?" I said cocking a brow.

"Yeah you squeeze the mother's hips, suppose to help I guess."

Daryl's P.O.V

Wasn't sure how long it'd been but it was now the middle of the night and I just couldn't sleep knowing Mia was in labour, made me uncomfortable. Every so often she'd grunt and groan, fidget around some then drift back off. I eventually gave up on sleep and took myself out into the living area making sure everything was prepared.

I wasn't sure if I was going to make a good Daddy but I hoped I'd be enough, I found myself sitting in the rocking chair we found on a run and placed in the baby's room, this all felt so different.

"Daryl!" Mia cried,

I shot up from the chair and swiftly made my way to her, she lay on her side clutching her perfect bump, her skin was shimmering with sweat but it didn't take away from her beauty, without hesitation I was right behind her immediately rubbing her back.

"I-I Can't..." she whimpered.

I let my arm snake around her meeting with her own hand which was still positioned on her bump, rubbing furiously trying to find comfort. I kissed he gently, tracing them up and down her neck, along her shoulder and finally behind her ear. I took over from her frantically rubbing her bump trying a slower and deeper motion.

"Dareee!" She cried gripping my hand squeezing it with all her might.

"You got this, she's gonna be here real soon."

"I really couldn't ask for anyone better y'know?" She said looking up at me exhausted and caked in sweat,

"I don't deserve you, her. But I'm the luckiest man alive." I hushed kissing her head softly.

The contractions had become more frequent and I couldn't leave her side, it was like a magnetic pull, my place was right beside her. There was really no time to anything, Mia's body was doing what it needed to do, I didn't think I was capable of feelings like these but she's made it so.

"She's coming, I can feel her!" She whimpered into my neck,

Mia was on he knees stabling herself with her arms either side of me on my shoulders as I stood over the bed rubbing her sides, breathing with her, hell maybe even crying with her, Everything went so fast and before I knew it this little bundle was wrapped up skin to skin on my chest.

"She's really all the good in this world y'know." I hummed kissing Mia's head.

She looked up at me, exhausted, but glowing beautifully, "And who knew we'd make something so perfect."

"I'm gonna give you everything you'll ever need, I promise you."

Grace Scarlett Dixon, was born at 3:36am on god knows what day, month or year. Weighting 6lb 8oz. No complications, just perfect in every single way. This was my biggest achievement.

I brought Grace's tiny hand to my lips and kissed every single digit counting them as I went, I watched Mia's lips curl into a smile bringing a warm fuzzy feeling to my chest. Is this what it felt like to be a family?

"I knew I'd break that hard shell you've been wearing all this time." She hummed tracing her finger over the skin on my forearm,

"Didnt doubt you for a second," I smirked.

Grace softly cooed, but none the less stayed curled up perfectly. We were sat up in bed still skin to skin with Grace, Mia's head gently resting on my chest gazing at our beautiful bundle.

"Perhaps we should set her down and rest whilst she does." Mia said softly.

I hesitated a second, "Ye-yeah."

———————————————————————————
Update- 26/06 /22
I probably won't be re writing this or updating for a while or at all, life really got in the way and writers block really had a hold on me. Unfortunately in April this year (20/04/22) I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I've had a right mastectomy (breast removed) and will be starting chemo shortly, maybe whilst I have treatment i can try to write but I can't promise anything, I've also edited the babies name as I didn't realise I'd already used this for And If By Chance, anyway thank you for reading my stories and being so supportive. I'm forever grateful.
~Rainie