Acceptance

Skye's POV

The scavenger hunt for candles is like an Easter egg hunt, except those are a lot easier. Baxter defending his lack of back up light with the fact he's a man and he doesn't tend to keep nice scented candles.

"Ah ha" he cheers bending down to a small bottom cupboard. He pulls out a stash of candle sticks "I told you I have some" he gloats

"Only took us 20 minutes" I snap back, he evil eyes me as I shine my phone's torch down at him.

We scatter the candles on the small table and sit back down. He pulls a zippo out of his pocket and set them a light. The sound of the flame coming alive and the clang of the gold casing is so satisfying, the fire being followed returns a small bit of light. Blue isn't a fan of the pitch black, he went on the search with us.

"I hate to break it to you" I say with a slight amused tone "Your stove is electric, meaning we can't have steak"

He groans throwing his head back, he's so dramatic it's like he's taken a shot to the heart "Hey, it's your fault, you should have got a gas stove" he rolls his head to me with a sour face.

"I'll call a pizza" he moans pulling his phone out.

Takeaway pizza is pretty much the opposite of what I was going for, but in times of need. He disappears down the hall taking a candle with him, I imagine this is what it was like before light bulbs, we don't realise how privileged we are. With Baxter's absence it gives me a chance to regroup. We kissed, and I liked it but he pulled away. I can't keep up with him, confessing his feelings and then making me question it all.

"Okay, this tastes so good" I moan biting into a slice of hot pepperoni, I hold my hand out catching the stringy cheese

He nods and speaking between bites "Everything tastes like heaven when it's ridiculously late"

"So much for the movie" I laugh brushing the pizza crumbs off my hands

"Why do you love that movie so much?" he questions

"I don't know" I exhale as I think of the real reason "Maybe because she lives a normal life not being noticed and then she starts taking risks resulting her to find love at the end. She put on a mask and had to think ahead in order to keep her friend alive"

He's looking at me with such intent "So you can relate?"

I shake my head "Not a lot, but I know what it's like living normally and then jumping into dangerous situations"

"Why did you pull away when we kissed?" I asked suddenly breaking the small silence

The low lighting has given me a new lease of confidence, if it's bad he won't see me react "Skye" he huffs putting a pizza slice down

"Did you not want to kiss me?"

"WHAT!" he draws back "No, I did of course I did. But, you're going through so much and I think if anything happens between us it will add to the list of complications" his words make sense but I still feel a little disappointed.

"Hey" he says taking my hand "Who knows what the future holds? We might have our time" the lights may be low but I can still see his wink. He presses a kiss on my forehead and I feel at ease.

"Speaking of the future" I say reaching to the other side of the table.

"Is this the letter you've been avoiding for the last week?" I thought he hadn't noticed, apparently, I'm wrong.

I nod holding it with both my hands "It's from Elite" I say

"As in Elite the dance academy?" Baxter asks enthusiastically. I hum so he knows he's right "Why the hell haven't you opened it?"