Fate I

By kirariidol

In the far eastern continent laid the infamous, imperial Kou Empire. Its land stretched farther than any othe... More

I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XL
XLI
XLII
XLIII
XLIV
XLV
XLVI
XLVII
XLVIII
XLIX
L
LI
LII
LIII
LIV
LV
LVI
LVII
LVIII
LIX
LX
LXI
LXII
LXIII
LXIV
LXV
LXVI
LXVII
LXVIII
LXIX
LXX
LXXI
LXXII
LXXIII
LXXIV
LXXV
LXXVI
LXXVII
LXXVIII
LXXIX
LXXX
LXXXI
LXXXII
LXXXIII
LXXXIV
LXXXV
LXXXVI
LXXXVII
LXXXVIII
LXXXIX
XC
XCI
XCII
XCIII
XCIV
XCV
XCVI
XCVII
XCVIII
XCIX
C
CI
CII
CIII
CIV
CV
CVI
CVII
CVIII
CIX
CX
CXI
CXII
CXIII
CXIV
CXV
CXVI
CXVII
CXVIII
CXIX
CXX
CXXI
CXXII
CXXIII
CXXIV
CXXV
CXXVI
CXXVII
CXXVIII
CXXIX
CXXX
CXXXI
CXXXII
CXXXIII
CXXXIV
CXXXV
CXXXVI
CXXXVII
CXXXVIII
CXXXIX
CXL
CXLI
CXLII
CXLIII
CXLIV
CXLV
CXLVI
CXLVII
CXLVIII
CXLIX
CL
CLI
CLII
CLIII
CLIV
CLV
CLVI
CLVII
CLVIII
CLIX
CLX
CLXI
CLXII
CLXIII
CLXIV
CLXV
CLXVI
CLXVII
CLXVIII
CLXIX
CLXX
CLXXI
CLXXII
CLXXIII
CLXXIV
CLXXV
CLXXVI
CLXXVII
CLXXVIII
CLXXIX
CLXXX
CLXXXI
CLXXXII
CLXXXIII
CLXXXIV
CLXXXV
CLXXXVI
CLXXXVII
CLXXXVIII
CLXXXIX
CXC
CXCI
CXCII
CXCIII
CXCIV
CXCV
CXCVI
CXCVII
CXCVIII
CXCIX
CC

XXIX

753 41 8
By kirariidol

The banquet had started as soon as the sun had set. Red satin billowed gently in the night breeze and lanterns lit up the Banquet Palace as hundreds of officials, sovereigns, and their delegate companions of foreign nations gathered, enjoying the western-style feast. Contrary to the Banquet Hall which was used to host palace events, the Banquet Palace was specifically used to entertain foreign delegates. With a building that was three times as large and as big as the Empress's Palace, it was a place that attracted many — especially during the night, it was a sight to behold.

"There sure are a lot of people here," Sinbad looked around as he held his glass.

"Well, considering how many sovereigns decided to come, it's only natural that they would be accompanied by their trusted aides," Ja'far remarked, taking a glass from the drink tray that the servants were carrying around. "Sin, remember what I told you before."

"Yeah, yeah, I know. You're like a nagging mom to the point where you might one day surpass Rurumu," Sinbad laughed.

"It seems like today's the day you officially want to die," Ja'far smiled, a tick mark on his forehead.

"Please forgive me," Sinbad immediately bowed.

Ja'far sighed. "But I'm really not kidding around, Sinbad," he narrowed his eyes. "You know better than anyone else about your bad drinking habits and if you do happen to cause trouble because of it, no matter how many connections our Sindria Trading Company may have, it'll still be impossible to get out of the situation. Especially considering how we're in the Kou Empire's territory."

"I know," Sinbad gave a chuckle as he drank his glass before placing it down on the table. "When it comes to business, I definitely won't put my companions at risk."

"Sin..." Ja'far stared at him before glaring at him. "I would've actually believed you if you weren't continuously making passes at the passing women while you're talking to me."

"No need to be so rigid, Ja'far," Sinbad put an arm on his shoulder. "You gotta learn how to enjoy yourself. Just take a look at Masrur over there," he pointed to the buffet table where Masrur was currently gobbling up all the food, much to everyone's surprise, "I'd say he's quite enjoying himself."

"I shouldn't even be surprised," Ja'far shook his head. "At least he's exerting some self-control considering how he hasn't gotten his clothes dirty."

"Admirable, isn't he?"

Sinbad and Ja'far turned around to see Hinahoho and Rurumu along with their child, Kikiriku. Their other three kids had remained back at the Sindria Trading Company as it wasn't to bring too many to the banquet. Moreover, it was best to have those who had learned proper manners and had a good sense of not stirring trouble to attend.

"In comparison to Masrur, those two are just standing there like a stone," Hinahoho sweat-dropped.

They looked towards Mystras and Sharrkan who stood there to the side of the banquet, blown away by the grandness and luxuriousness of it all. Being from kingdoms that had little to no interaction with the outside world, it was expected for them to not have seen nor attended anything like this but the scale of it all was beyond belief. It was simply too much to take in and they wondered if people like them were even allowed to attend.

"Sharrkan."

Sharrkan snapped out of his daze and seeing who had called out to him, he widened his eyes and paled a bit. "B-Brother."

Standing before him was none other than the King of the Heliohapt Kingdom, Armakan Amun-Ra. He towered over his younger brother in an intimidating pose but he soon softened his expression and Sharrkan perked up a bit, his shoulders loosening in relief.

"It seems that you came as well," Armakan said.

"Y-Yes," Sharrkan answered for though he had become more outgoing in the presence of Sinbad and the others, he was still a timid, young boy in front of his older brother. "I see that brother himself also came as well."

Armakan turned to where Koutoku and the Empress stood as they received the sovereigns and delegates of their respective countries. "Yes. Normally I would've left this to my subordinates but it was about time I paid my respects. Moreover," Armakan unknowingly smirked, "I came here hoping to catch a glimpse of the person who had made our Heliohapt Kingdom so prosperous despite it being on the brink of collapse several years ago."

Sharrkan stared at his brother.

"What is it?"

"N-Nothing!" Sharrkan immediately turned his head away.

It was the first time he had seen his brother make such an expression and seeing that, he couldn't help but wonder what kind of person it was that could make his brother have such a face.

"My, my, if it isn't King Armakan and his younger brother."

"Queen Mira Dianus Artemina."

"Just Queen Mira is fine."

"So you plan on keeping the 'Queen' title," Armakan remarked.

"Of course," she flipped her hair.

Armakan stared at her before averting his eyes. "You greeted the Emperor and Empress?"

"Who do you think I am? As soon as I arrived, I already did so," Mira answered. "The rest I've left it to my subordinates. Same with you, no?"

Armakan eyed her. "You're drunk, aren't you?"

"What?!" she yelled.

With Mira yelling and Armakan being nonchalant about it, Sharrkan and Mystras stared in horror for it felt as if things were beginning to get heated more than it should be. As Sinbad was about to step in and greet himself to break it up, Armakan turned to the side as Mira grabbed his shirt.

"Darius Leoxses," he called out. "She's calling."

"Wha-?!" Mira began but as the man came towards her and the two locked gazes, her face slowly starting turning a bright red.

"Queen Mira," he said.

"I-If it isn't the Knight King of the Sasan Kingdom," she said with a haughty air, trying to cover her embarrassment. "What brings you here today."

"I'm sure that we're all here for the same reason," he drank his glass.

Mira narrowed her eyes before turning the other way. "That I won't deny," she said as she took a glass. "The only time I was able to catch a glimpse of her face was three years ago when she had first assumed the position as Head of the Heartfilia Household. Now, it's been three years," she drank her glass before letting out a hearty laugh. "I'm looking forward to seeing her today."

Darius gave a smile and Mystras, like Sharrkan, stared at his father.

"To think that father would wear such an expression," Mystras remarked as he joined Sinbad and the others.

"Yeah," Sharrkan nodded his head. "It's the first time I saw such an expecting look in brother's eyes."

"It's indeed amazing," a bead of sweat rolled down Ja'far's face as he looked at the face of each sovereign. "To be able to win the hearts of so many rulers and their subordinates."

Sinbad grinned. "I'm really looking forward to meeting her."

Just then, a eunuch called out at the doorway, announcing the arrival of the people whom they had all been waiting for.

"His Imperial Highnesses and Her Imperial Highnesses have arrived!"

The guards opened the doorway and the servants bowed, greeting them. With his crimson red cape billowing behind him and those sharp crimson eyes, Kouen stepped in with an air of majesty, causing everyone to gawk in awe at how such a young man was able to carry himself so confidently and commanding. Following him were Koumei, Kouha, Kougyoku, Hakuei, and Hakuryuu who were each just as eye-catching as the next. As they were always together, it was hardly noticed but seeing them standing together like this, they really were indeed beautiful. Everyone in the room was captivated by them as their breaths hitched, instantly falling for them.

But, the person whom all eyes were drawn to was the person who stood behind Kouen and next to Koumei. Her blonde hair shimmered under the lights, her long lashes revealing her clear, honey-brown eyes, her lips a luscious pink, and her skin a fair white. Dressed in the royal red garments of the Kou Empire, she carried herself elegantly as each step caused the golden accessories in her hair to gently tinkle against one another. The hagoromo and shawl enveloped itself around her and her eyes were directed forward without ever glancing around.

Sinbad widened his eyes as a rukh flew past before hundreds of thousands of rukh flocked together around her. Though he could see them fluttering around the Ren siblings, the fact that they gathered mainly around her was an undeniable fact. They stuck close to her without letting go and it was the first time he had seen such an amount — an amount greater than what he had.

Stopping before Koutoku and the Empress, they knelt down and bowed.

"Greetings to the Emperor and Empress."

Koutoku smiled proudly as the Empress stood by his side with a fond smile. "Rise. You are the main attraction of this banquet today, Kouen. As you're now the Imperial Crown Prince, I look forward to the path that you'll take our Kou Empire to."

"This child will not fail you," Kouen replied.

Koutoku nodded his head. "I know you won't. After all," he glanced at Koumei and the others and the bond they shared between each other, "you guys have each other."

Kouen widened his eyes before giving a quick smile as he stood up, the others following. "Yes."

Before they knew it, the guests were all beginning to gather around Kouen and them, introducing themselves in hopes of developing better connections to the Kou Empire. With the royals greeting themselves first, Sinbad and them could only wait until those of higher status had finished greeting before they could approach them and greet them.

"Hey, are those people possibly...?"

"It must be."

"To think they would actually attend."

Sinbad narrowed his eyes. He knew this would happen but he didn't expect that they would actually mouth such words at a banquet that was hosted by the Emperor of the Kou Empire himself. It didn't matter if they were civil servants or ministers or not for this kind of behavior was simply uncalled for. It was pure prejudice. Masrur already stood out with his defining features as a Fanalis and along with the reputation that they had created among themselves, it was a good topic for them to gossip upon at this banquet.

"They're simply merchants yet they wish to attend this banquet. Have they no shame?"

"Lower your voice," a woman said. "It's already embarrassing enough to have to attend this banquet with them."

"They actually think they're on the same level as us."

"I heard they're all orphans abandoned by their family."

Upon hearing that, Sinbad widened his eyes.

One of them laughed. "How pitiful."

"Two of them may be connected to royalty but the fact that they're now traveling as merchants just shows that they're simply unwanted children. Throwing them away to the Sindria Trading Company was the best course of action for them."

"My," they continued to whisper, "and they still are able to show their face."

"To think that merchants would be able to attend as well," they sneered. "Lowly ones at that."

"These bastards," Ja'far narrowed his eyes and gritted his teeth, his emerald eyes dark with anger.

Sinbad balled his hands into fists, knowing full well that he couldn't do anything here. He was used to hearing people belittle them and he was fine with others badmouthing him but as for his companions, he wasn't going to let them do as they please. Taking a step forward, he went up to them but before he could do anything, a rukh fluttered past and hearing a pair of light footsteps approaching them, he widened his eyes and turned his head. Walking towards them with elegance and grace, her blonde hair flowed behind her and her eyes were fixated upon the ground before raising them. She gave a pleasant smile behind her fan but he could tell that those eyes were not smiling in the slightest.

"Greetings to Her Imperial Highness, Lucy-sama," the officials bowed.

Lucy set her gaze upon them as she continued to hold the fan before her. "It seems that there's a ruckus here."

"None of the sort, Lucy-sama," the officials all plastered on smiles for among the Imperial family, they had heard that Lucy was the most amiable and gentle and thinking that, they decided to use it to their advantage. "We were simply talking."

"Oh?" Lucy narrowed her eyes. "What might you guys have been talking about?"

"T-That's...we were just saying how it's a bit 'unseemly' to allow merchants to attend," one of the women said, trying not to provoke her.

"That's right, Lucy-sama," an official added. "What would it do if this ruins the Imperial family's reputation?"

Lucy stared at them and seeing the look in her eyes, they quickly paled with fear.

"Are you saying that I shouldn't be attending as well then?" she asked with a smirk.

"Nothing of the sort!" they exclaimed. "Lucy-sama is a member of the Imperial family and is the daughter of the Empress. You hold the title of an Imperial Princess! How could we dare?"

"Yet you dared say that having merchants attend this banquet is improper," Lucy approached them. "Are you dare mocking my Heartfilia name?"

"Your Highness," they immediately dropped to the ground and bowed, beads of sweat pouring from their foreheads as their eyes were frantic, desperately trying to think of a way to get out of this situation.

"The Heartfilia Household is, too, a merchant family. It doesn't matter if I'm now an Imperial Highness or not," she turned to them. "I am still Lucy Heartfilia, the Head of the Heartfilia Household. Moreover, whether or not they're merchants, they had personally received an invitation from the Imperial family, and mocking them for attending would be mocking His Majesty the Emperor. As long as they've received an invitation, they're honored guests of our Kou Empire. For insulting them, are you able to shoulder such a heavy responsibility?"

"Mercy, Your Highness! We spewed nonsense without thinking further about our actions!" they groveled. "Mercy!"

"The one whom you should apologize to is not me, no?"

"T-That's..."

For them who were officials and a noble family, lowering their heads and apologizing to someone inferior in status to them was a great blow to their pride. But, no matter how great their pride was, they could not disobey a member of the Imperial family; especially not Lucy Heartfilia.

"We sincerely apologize for our offensive behavior towards His Majesty's guests. Please," they gritted their teeth, "find it in your heart to forgive us."

Sinbad, Ja'far, and they stared at them and by now, it had caused quite the attention in the banquet hall as everyone watched. Koutoku and the Empress talked amongst one another for even if they did forgive them, they would not allow those officials and their family to get off so easily after causing such a scene and offending the guests of the Kou Empire. Especially not after they dared to look down upon merchants which were the very identity the Heartfilias associated themselves with.

Sinbad stood there, knowing that he had no choice but to accept but seeing them grovel, it was already enough. Wearing a smile upon his face, he looked at them with indifference.

"It's nothing," he said. "Since there are several people in the world who take pride in belittling the weak. But I'm sure that you officials are not such people since you had already apologized."

They paled and Sinbad simply smirked.

He opened his amber eyes and looked down on them with a cold, stone gaze. If they thought that he would easily accept their apology, then they were wrong. He, Sinbad, and his Sindria Trading Company were not people that could be easily bullied and he wanted to show everyone present exactly that. He, who would soon become the First King of the Kingdom of Sindria.

"Sebas," Lucy turned to her side.

Sebas bowed and taking a step forward, his shadow cast over the officials and their companions, he turned to the side and put forth a hand. "If you will."

The officials paled, knowing what was to come. If they made a scene here and begged for mercy, it would only further increase their punishment; in the worst case, death. They quietly walked out and knowing that they needed to turn the atmosphere around, Koutoku quickly caught everyone's attention as he gave a hearty laugh.

"It seems that there's been a ruckus. On behalf of those officials, we apologize for any discomfort they may cause and hope that everyone will continue to enjoy this banquet. In honor of my son's crowning, I hereby propose a toast," he raised a glass.

They smiled and raised their glasses, cheering. "To the Kou Empire!"

With their attention away from them, Lucy turned to Sinbad and them and smiled, this time, her eyes shining with a fond gaze. Sinbad stared at her, caught by those honey-brown orbs of hers which shone like diamonds, clear and void of any ill intention. The only thing reflected in her eyes being him as she flashed a genuine smile.

"We're finally able to meet," she said. "Sinbad."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

97.2K 3.1K 12
Kouha from Magi When you find out you're to be in an arranged marriage with the Kou Empire you aren't the happiest girl. Upon fist meeting with Kouha...
7.3K 426 46
This is the continuation of Fate I and will start with Chapter CCI. In the far eastern continent laid the infamous, imperial Kou Empire. Its land str...
424K 13.6K 94
Fairy Tail, a guild known for its prestigious mages and also its destructive nature, was a place where almost all mages wished to be a part of. Yet...
426K 11.3K 66
Lucy Heartfilia is a 16-year-old. Her mother had died early and her father's business collapsed. Finally having been able to join the most renown gui...