Fate I

By kirariidol

In the far eastern continent laid the infamous, imperial Kou Empire. Its land stretched farther than any othe... More

I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XL
XLI
XLII
XLIII
XLIV
XLV
XLVI
XLVII
XLVIII
XLIX
L
LI
LII
LIII
LIV
LV
LVI
LVII
LVIII
LIX
LX
LXI
LXII
LXIII
LXIV
LXV
LXVI
LXVII
LXVIII
LXIX
LXX
LXXI
LXXII
LXXIII
LXXIV
LXXV
LXXVI
LXXVII
LXXVIII
LXXIX
LXXX
LXXXI
LXXXII
LXXXIII
LXXXIV
LXXXV
LXXXVI
LXXXVII
LXXXVIII
LXXXIX
XC
XCI
XCII
XCIII
XCIV
XCV
XCVI
XCVII
XCVIII
XCIX
C
CI
CII
CIII
CIV
CV
CVI
CVII
CVIII
CIX
CX
CXI
CXII
CXIII
CXIV
CXV
CXVI
CXVII
CXVIII
CXIX
CXX
CXXI
CXXII
CXXIII
CXXIV
CXXV
CXXVI
CXXVII
CXXVIII
CXXIX
CXXX
CXXXI
CXXXII
CXXXIII
CXXXIV
CXXXV
CXXXVI
CXXXVII
CXXXVIII
CXXXIX
CXL
CXLI
CXLII
CXLIII
CXLIV
CXLV
CXLVI
CXLVII
CXLVIII
CXLIX
CL
CLI
CLII
CLIII
CLIV
CLV
CLVI
CLVII
CLVIII
CLIX
CLX
CLXI
CLXII
CLXIII
CLXIV
CLXV
CLXVI
CLXVII
CLXVIII
CLXIX
CLXX
CLXXI
CLXXII
CLXXIII
CLXXIV
CLXXV
CLXXVI
CLXXVII
CLXXVIII
CLXXIX
CLXXX
CLXXXI
CLXXXII
CLXXXIII
CLXXXIV
CLXXXV
CLXXXVI
CLXXXVII
CLXXXVIII
CLXXXIX
CXC
CXCI
CXCII
CXCIII
CXCIV
CXCV
CXCVI
CXCVII
CXCVIII
CXCIX
CC

XXVII

783 37 6
By kirariidol

"Lucy-chan~!"

"Wahh!"

Lucy set the teacup down onto the cup plate with a clatter. Seeing that no tea spilled, they breathed a sigh of relief. Glancing towards her side with a bead of sweat rolling down her face, she gave a smile.

"Hakuei," she greeted.

"Mn!" Hakuei beamed, her arms wrapped around Lucy's shoulders. "It's been such a long while."

"But we were together just several hours ago at the crowning ceremony."

"Several hours is a long while," Hakuei nuzzled her cheek against Lucy's, breathing in the calming vanilla scent around her. "As I thought, being near Lucy-chan really calms me down."

Lucy blushed a bit upon hearing that. "Is that so?"

Hakuei noticed her reaction and grinned from ear to ear, her face beaming with delight. "Mn!"

Seeing her happy, Lucy smiled in turn as well. With her cheeks a rosy hue and her eyes a gauzed with a brilliant shine, her timid and shy nature instantly pierced their hearts as they all cuddled up around her. She was simply too adorable for them to ignore.

"Come to think of it, is Kouen and Koumei not here yet?" Lucy asked.

"They're probably still discussing something with Father Emperor," Kougyoku answered.

"It's highly possible," Kouha agreed.

"There's no need to care about those vile creatures," Hakuei quickly remarked. "Here, have some cake, Lucy-chan. Delicious, isn't it?"

Lucy chewed and nodded her head.

Hakuei smiled and they all looked at Hakuei and her amazing ability to say something so crude yet have it go unnoticed as if it was perfectly normal. They weren't sure where her personality came from but she was truly a frightening individual for, during these past three years, she had gotten even better at giving those apathetically, cruel smiles. No one dared to wrong her or her brother after knowing just what kind of person she was; since, she, too, held the blood of the Ren family.

Hakuei watched happily as Lucy continued to eat from the fork that was fed to her.

"Lucy-neesan, this strawberry from the fruit tart is also especially delicious. Please try some," Hakuryuu held out his fork.

Lucy ate from it and Hakuryuu smiled happily, his pale blue eyes brimming with happiness upon seeing her eat to her heart's content. Kouha and Kougyoku looked on with pure rage and jealousy for not only were they pushed to the side by their arrival but they were also the ones feeding Lucy and not them.

The only time those two siblings ever act all innocent is around Lucy-nee/nee-sama, the two stared daggers at them.

"What are you guys doing?"

Turning their heads, Kouha and Kougyoku brightened up as Hakuei and Hakuryuu wore looks of disgust.

"You guys...you're not planning on hiding your feelings at all, are you?" Koumei said, the corner of his mouth twitching.

The two paid no heed to him and a tick mark appeared on his head.

"I may not mind it but at least show some proper respect to Kouen-niisama!" he presented Kouen in a dramatic manner.

"Kouen-niisama, you came!" Kougyoku beamed.

"En-nii!" Kouha exclaimed.

The two clung onto him as he stood there with a stoic face and crossed arms. Hakuei and Hakuryuu stared at him and Kouen stared back before turning their heads away, ignoring each other for if they stared any longer, they swore they would get indigestion. Koumei heaved a sigh and deadpanned, knowing that this relationship between them was never going to change. Though, he was grateful that they at least properly showed their respect in public.

"I'm so tired," Koumei sat down next to Kouha.

"Hey, Mei-nii, who said you could sit here?" Kouha started pushing him.

"To be treated like this by my own younger brother," Koumei wept as he shriveled up, already used to Kouha's spiteful attitude. "At least let your brother rest for a bit."

"No way," Kouha furrowed his brows. "En-nii should be resting instead!"

"In what way!" Koumei shouted. "Nii-sama might seem like he's busy with paperwork but I'm telling you, the most tired person is me! He may handle the paperwork on time but that's nothing compared to the work that I have to handle. Who do you think cleans up his royal mess after someone 'accidentally' angers him?! Me! Just look at that smug face he's wearing!"

Kouen turned the other way, feigning ignorance as Kouha and Kougyoku stared at their brother and furrowed their brows. "Can't tell."

Koumei sighed and laid his head upon the table. "Anymore arguing and I'm seriously going to get migraines."

Lucy chuckled nervously as she reached out and patted Koumei on the head. "It must've been hard."

Koumei stared at her as if he was looking up at an angel. Tears welled up in his eyes as he sobbed onto the table. "Lucy, you're the only person who cares for me."

Lucy chuckled as flowers popped up in the air around the two and the rukh fluttered around. Seeing the two caught up in their own small world, they couldn't help but be ticked off and Sebas heaved a silent sigh, knowing that this was going to come sooner or later. After all, there was not a moment when they gathered that something like this didn't happen.

"Mei-nii, you must be exhausted. Here's a fruit tart," Kouha smiled deviously.

"What are you s-!" Kouha stuffed the tart into Koumei's mouth.

"Koumei-niisama, here's some milk tea to go along with it," Kougyoku said, pouring it down his throat.

"H-Hot, hot, hot!" Koumei said, choking.

"Oh? You wanted more?" Hakuei blinked her eyes innocently and reached for the entire pie. "Of course you can have more."

"If you're having more tart, you should've just said so. Here's some more milk tea along with it," Hakuryuu said with a blank smile as he poured the entire cup of sugar cubes in. "Here, please have some, Koumei-dono."

"Wait! St-!" Koumei shouted before succumbing to the torture.

Defeated, he laid in the corner of the room, his soul seeping out of his mouth as he faded away into white dust particles. Lucy shifted her body and peered at him from her seat, wondering if he was going to be okay. Having gotten used to their playful antics, she more or less stopped worrying. But, this time, they did seem to go a bit overboard.

"Is Koumei going to be okay?" she held her sleeved hand over her mouth.

"Don't worry, he'll be just fine," Hakuei smiled as she fed Lucy a bite of her strawberry cake.

"You don't need to worry about him, Lucy-neesan," Hakuryuu flashed a bright, blinding smile, taking her attention away from Koumei who was slowly withering away in the corner.

"For once, I have to agree with this guy."

Kougyoku nodded her head. "It is Koumei-niisama, after all."

"Right?" the two chimed in unison.

Lucy continued to peer at Koumei from the corner of her eyes, unable to rid herself of her uneasiness. "I see."

"There's no need for you to worry," Kouen reached out a hand and patted her on the head, weaving his hand through her long, silky golden hair. "It's what we always do. It's fine to not put so much thought into it. We're family."

"Umu," Hakuei nodded her head. "It's normal for families to do this."

"I see," Lucy looked down, a bit embarrassed.

They all chuckled and patted her on the head as Lucy smiled carefreely.

"And here I thought to care for others was what family was," Koumei managed to utter before collapsing back down.

A bead of sweat rolled down Sebas's face. The disinterest the Ren siblings had in their second brother was one to comment on but Koumei's disregard for how they treated him was something else, too.

"Come to think of it, what did Father Emperor wish to speak to you guys about?" Kougyoku asked, having seen Koutoku ask the two to come to his office after the crowning ceremony.

"Oh, about that," Kouen began.

Koumei dusted his sleeve and robes and joined them. "Since we've mastered the complete control over our magic, Father Emperor decided that it was time for us to be granted our own metal vessel. Well, at least for me. Since," he glanced at Kouen's sword which hung at his side, "nii-sama had already been granted one."

There at Kouen's side was a sword with a golden hilt wrapped in black bandages encased in a red scabbard. Red and gold threads tied into a ribbon hung from the hilt, accenting well with the overall elaborate design and red jewel which was situated at the center, gleaming. Even from far away, it was easy to tell just how much power the sword had for even now, the rukh fluttered around it.

"If I remember correctly, it was given when En-nii turned sixteen right? Two years ago," Kouha said.

Kouen nodded his head. "That's correct."

"And this time, you'll be given another one?" Kougyoku asked.

He nodded his head again. "According to Father Emperor."

Lucy smiled. "Whether one receives a metal vessel or not is all up to the Core of Heaven."

They were all aware of the existence of the Core of Heaven for after dedicating themselves to acquiring mastery over their magic, Koutoku deemed that it was time to let them know for it was only a matter of time that the Core of Heaven would acknowledge them as people worthy enough to wield metal vessels and become a pillar of support for the Kou Empire.

"For En-nii to receive another one," Kouha looked at Kouen, "he must be really amazing."

"What are you talking about, Kouha-niisama? Kouen-niisama was already amazing to begin with!" Kougyoku exclaimed.

"Hmph," Hakuryuu muttered under his breath. "It's just a metal vessel."

"You never know what the future may hold," Hakuei patted her younger brother's head. "Maybe Hakuryuu will one day possess multiple metal vessels as well."

The two sides glared at one another, sending daggers and sparks flying between them. Lucy, Kouen, and Koumei stood to the side, bearing witness to the constant bickering between the two sides. They had already gotten used to it and if they had to say anything, they could care less for the fact that Kouen was indeed talented in all areas remained unchanged.

"Kouen," Lucy called out to him.

"Hm?" he glanced at her.

She smiled up at him. "Congratulations on becoming the Imperial Crown Prince."

He softened his expression and patted her on the head. "Thanks."

"I'm sure there'll be more work to come for the two of you but," she wrapped her arms around each of their arms and pulled them close, "good luck. I'll be there to help you in any way I can."

Kouen and Koumei widened their eyes in surprise and looked at each other before pulling their lips into a helpless smile. Honestly, she was the only one who was bold enough to do something like this and was the only one who they allowed to touch them like this.

"I'll be counting on you guys then," Kouen smirked.

"I'll be there to help you as well," Koumei smiled. "Since taking care of Kouen-niisama is already troubling as is."

"Did you say something, Koumei?" Kouen glared at him, his maroon eyes glowing menacingly as he pulled his lips into a malicious grin.

"N-Nothing, nii-sama," Koumei quickly turned the other way.

The two bickered back and forth and all the while, Lucy laughed as she watched the two. Before long, they were all at the table, tightly packed together despite the limited space. Together, they all enjoyed the spring weather, loving each and every moment of this tranquil time. The rukh fluttered happily around and Sebas watched them all with a loving expression, imprinting the image into his memory.

One day, he would come to paint this scenery and that painting would be passed down and for all to look back upon, bringing out the happiest memories that they had all made as children.

"So it seems that everyone was here."

The maids and guards at the entrance lowered themselves and bowed. "Greetings to Her Majesty the Empress."

With her majestic and vibrant air, she walked in, her golden phoenix robe trailing behind her and the golden accessories in her hair dangling with each step. Her luscious pink hair was pulled upward into a braided style as her sapphire eyes gleamed. No matter how many years passed, she continued to bloom in all her glory like the red rose which she represented.

"Greetings to Mother Empress," they greeted.

"There's no need for formalities," the Empress chuckled as she quickly took Lucy into her arms. "It's just us here."

They smiled and sat back down. With the passage of time, Kouha had slowly become more accepting towards the Empress but as for Koutoku, he remained fixed on his emotions for the hatred he felt for his father still lingered and would probably never disappear; not until he died. But, rather than being concerned about the Empress's presence, they all stared with dead fish eyes at the Empress who, upon her arrival, doted upon Lucy with no end.

"Mother, what did you come here for?" Koumei asked, pouting a bit.

"Oh my, seeing our adorable little Lucy, I almost forgot why I came," the Empress looked down at Lucy who peered back at her with her large, honey-chocolate eyes. "But of course, that isn't saying that I didn't come because of Lucy."

Lucy chuckled as the Empress hugged Lucy and squealed with delight.

"Mother," Kouen cleared his throat.

"Yes, yes," she sighed, wondering where they got their impatience from. "I came to let you know that Koutoku has decided to throw a banquet to announce to other countries that Kouen is officially the heir to the throne."

"What a gloat," Kouha muttered underneath his breath.

"Kouha-niisama!" Kougyoku tugged on his sleeve, shushing him.

Kouha remained indifferent and the Empress chuckled, not minding it at all for, despite the emotions he harbored inside, he never acted upon them due to his fondness for his older brothers and Lucy. That's why the least she could do was tolerate his behavior and in this way, it could be said that he was the most favored among the Emperor's children.

"So there will be foreign diplomats?" Hakuei reasoned.

"Correct," the Empress nodded her head. "But not just any diplomats."

They widened their eyes and the Empress smiled. She looked down at Lucy with a fond gaze and the child blinked her eyes in question. Holding her in her arms, the Empress faced them, her sapphire eyes resilient and unwavering.

"The very leaders and rulers of those countries will be attending as well," she said. "It is an unprecedented event in the history of the Kou Empire and surely, it is one to cause great turmoil over. Hence, the entire Palace — including the Inner Palace — is in a ruckus."

"All the world leaders," Koumei furrowed his brows, "won't that pose a big problem, though? If all of them were to be gathered in one place, it'll be more than easy to eradicate them all at once."

"Indeed," the Empress smiled. "But, it's best not to underestimate the power that the world's leaders hold."

"Even if someone did try to take them all out, it would only be a foolish move," Kouen said. "The Kou Empire holds one of the mightiest armies but that also says the same for the others. Their power and might are not to be underestimated for by underestimating them, one will only spell disaster for themselves."

"But there's one thing I don't understand," Kougyoku voiced her doubt. "Why would they all gather for Kouen-niisama's crowning?"

They all stared at her.

Kougyoku quickly flushed red and lowered her head. "I-I mean it's understandable if it was the coronation of a new Emperor. At least, that's what I thought..." her voice trailed off, too embarrassed to speak any further.

"No, Kougyoku does have a point," Hakuei took her words into consideration. "It's weird for them all to gather simply because of announcing Kouen-dono as the Imperial Crown Prince of the Kou Empire."

"Agreed," Hakuryuu nodded his head.

"It seems that each and every one of you is equally brilliant," the Empress smiled with pride. "I'm looking forward to the path that you all will lead the Kou Empire to."

They smiled timidly and the Empress turned her attention to Lucy.

"Then here's a question, Lucy," the Empress chuckled, "why do you think they all plan to gather here under the pretext of bearing witness to seeing who the heir to the throne is? Since you must've realized that it's off for such people of their position and rank to come here all for the sake of one Imperial Prince. I'm sure Sebas over there has realized the truth."

Sebas closed his eyes in silence.

"So what do you think, Lucy dear?"

Lucy sat there, pondering. She had heard from Rametoto along with the other trading partners of the Heartfilia conglomerate that they would be coming to visit the Kou Empire in the near future but among them, Rametoto was the only one who recently sent a letter saying that he would come to the Kou Empire's banquet that would be held in honor of the Imperial Crown Prince. She had offered to cast a teleportation circle but they had refused for others had yet to know the magic she possessed and so, decided to come with their other trading partner — Sindria Trading Company — who had also been invited. She had been aware that representatives from each country would come to visit since it was already well-known that Kouen would become the next Emperor and since he was of age, there were bound to be countless marriage offerings. But, to think that the rulers of each kingdom were to come...even she didn't expect it.

She stared at the Empress and seeing her expected face, Lucy decided to ponder some more.

So...so cute! they all trembled from the cuteness overload.

Gaining back her composure, the Empress reached out her hands and held Lucy's small ones. "Of course, the reason why they all gathered here is for none other than you."

"Me?"

"You may seem them as nothing more than trading partners but nonetheless, they are still the sovereigns of their respectful countries. To them, you're an existence whom their sole livelihood depends upon — the same goes for the Kou Empire. Why would they visit a mere Imperial Prince when you are here?"

Koumei and the others looked toward Kouen, beginning to understand where he got his blunt personality from. To think that she would call Kouen a "mere" prince.

Lucy stared at the Empress. "Is that so?"

"The Empress is correct," Sebas spoke up. "I'm sure they wished to surprise you since," he reached into his suit jacket, "they had all these letters delivered to me notifying me to keep their arrival a secret from you. But it seems that the Empress went and said it anyway.

The Empress chuckled. "It seems that I've done something tedious."

"Not at all," Sebas gave a quick smile. "Rather, them keeping it a secret tends to be a problem itself. I'm sure they wish to greet Lucy-sama as quickly as possible but for us to have no means of greeting them would cause our image to fall; especially if Lucy-sama herself, the Head of the Heartfilia Household, is not aware of it."

"Indeed," the Empress laughed.

"But there's one thing I don't understand," Lucy said.

"What is that?"

"Why come to visit me?" Lucy asked, still confused. "Is there a matter of urgency that has to be taken care of that conversing over the Rukh's Mirror?"

Both the Empress and Sebas dead-panned. She truly was dense in more ways than one. Over the past years, who wouldn't know of the affection they held towards Lucy. She may be their trading partner but they had come to adore her and fawn over her, making sure that her business prospered. In fact, they would fight amongst one another and cause small problems just for the chance of having her take a trip to their kingdom or empire; though, it never happened as the matters were quickly taken care of by her subordinates.

"How should I say this?" a bead of sweat rolled down the Empress's face as she looked in Sebas's direction. "You guys must have it hard."

"That...I cannot deny," Sebas managed to say.

In front of Lucy, they always managed to maintain their dignity and cool front which they were known for but from the way they acted, their emotions were as plain as day. They simply wished for Lucy to only see their cool side and in that way, earn her respect and adoration but in a way, that simply backfired for when Lucy was in working mode, she only thought about business and nothing else.

"It's fine for Lucy dear to not know," the Empress hugged her. "It's a blessing to have Lucy here with us."

If the Heartfilia Household had settled any place else other than the Kou Empire, then she wouldn't have the pleasure of seeing Lucy every day. For her to be in the care of someone else and be doted upon by someone else, she couldn't allow that.

"This upcoming banquet, let's show them whose daughter Lucy is," she smiled, a menacing aura emitting from her.

Lucy tilted her head, still confused and Kouen and the others simply gave a helpless smile for perhaps this life and the next, her denseness could never be cured.

"Well then," the Empress looked to them, "let's prepare the most extravagant banquet there is!"

"Yes!" they all answered, their eyes beaming with resolve.

Little did they know that the wheels of fate were already turning; bringing them ever closer to the start of this tragic play.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

65.4K 2K 33
Now at the age of eighteen, Elisha is given a job by Makarov himself. Master Bob has requested help in finding out more about a mysterious tower that...
1.2K 42 27
"She was once Innocent until she was thrown into a pit. Stolen from her homeland" - Ugo Guardian Of The Sacred Palace Working to your hands bl...
66.2K 1.6K 18
Lira Blackwell she was having an average life as a maid, till the day she met the 3rd prince, Kouha Ren of the Kou Empire. The moment she knocked on...
378K 10.5K 49
Natsu is the richest in his country. He rules Dragneel inc. Kind is how he grew up. Cold is what he became. He has his moments, yet one wrong thing c...