𝐖𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐈 𝐒𝐭𝐨𝐨𝐝 - 𝐌...

By hiddleloki

Max loved living in New York, she had everything she could ever want, having a best friend like Derek Shepher... More

Part One
Cast
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Part Two
Cast part two
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Ninteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-five
Part three
Cast Part Three
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Ninteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three

Eight

5.3K 154 38
By hiddleloki

Max woke up like she did everyday with the sound of her alarm at 5:00 a.m. She looked over at a sleeping Mark before picking up her covers and getting out of bed so that she could make a little breakfast to start the day. In all honesty, Max loved cooking for her family considering Mark wasn't particularly blessed in the kitchen so she had no problem at all making sure that the food they were eating was actually editable.

Walking into the kitchen, she turned to the refrigerator to take out the necessary ingredients to make a breakfast casserole: Sausage, eggs, hash browns and cheese.

Bringing it all to the island in the middle of her kitchen, she reached over and turned her oven on to 375 degrees and then bent down a grabbed a skillet to brown the sausage. Once the sausage was brown, she grabbed the eggs and cracked them into the same skillet she used before, as she waited for the eggs to cook for a bit, she grabbed a baking dish and began spraying it with Pam spray.

She grabbed the skillet and poured it into the dish and added the Hash browns on top and then sprinkling some cheddar cheese on top as well. Once it was all done she put the food into the oven and set the timer for 30 minutes.

Max thought that it was probably a good idea to wake Mark up so that he could get ready for work also, so that's what she did. Walking up to their shared bedroom, she pushed open the door and made her way to Marks side of the bed.

"Mark, wake up" She bent down to his level and poked him in the face, "Breakfast is in the oven and I still need to take a shower and so do you"

"You join?" He mumbled not even bothering to open his eyes.

"Can't. I've got an oven on and I wouldn't like it very much if my house burnt down" She stayed by Mark and rubbed his face softly, waiting for the man to actually wake up.

"Mmhm" He opened his eyes and look at Max, giving her a small grin.

"Good Morning, Bubba" Max whispered, leaning in to give him a kiss.

"Good Morning" He finally said after the broke apart.

"Go get in the shower so that I can get in after and then I've got to wake up Maeve so that she can take a shower" Max continued to look at Mark and he did the same.

"You know we have multiple bathrooms in this place right? So we don't have to take turns" Mark told her, the grin from earlier was back, she looked at his smug face and grabbed the blanket that was covering Marks body and tugged it off.

"Hey!"

"I just love looking at your cute little butt" She laughed before walking completely out of the room.

"I love you" He called out after her.

She walked into the hospital like she did everyday, with Mark next to her. Normally she would go say Hi to Leo and Christina and ask how there day was going so far, mostly just to catch up but considering the couple of days that Callie was having, she decided that she would rather talk to her instead.

"I'm going to go find, Cal. I'll catch up with you later?" Max stopped Mark before they could get any farther.

"I've got to go catch up on Mr. Klithson, prep him for surgery" Mark replied back, "Let me know how she's doing though"

"I love it that you guys a best friends" Max laughed, pinching his cheeks slightly as if he was a little kid.

"You're annoying, do you know that?" He said trying to remain as serious as possible but failing, "To bad you're cute and I love you"

Max smiled at the man and leaned up to give him a kiss, "You're to sweet and I love you" She gave him one last kiss before walking away from him and to the only place she knew that Callie could be. The on call room.

She turned every corner needed u til she reached the room, turning the handle, she popped her head inside to see Callie sitting on the bed.

"Hey, Cal" Max said walking fully into the room.

"Max, Hey! What's up?" Callie turned to look at Max with a smile.

"You know... just walking around the hospital... nothin really" Max told her slowly. The past couple of days were a little off, Callie wasn't really talking to anyone about what happened to her Dad and Max didn't want to step on her toes with her bold personality.

"Max, I'm fine. I've told you that every time we talk, I swear I'm okay" Callie shook her head at Max, she couldn't really be mad considering Max was like this with everyone.

"Ugh" Max groaned, hoping off of the bed, "Oh, I did want to tell you that the Chief approved your request for extra hours. Let's just hope that old guy retires so that you can becoming the Attending of Ortho here" She half joked.

"Let's hope, I've been busting my ass for the position" Callie replied back.

"I agree, you deserve it" Max winced as she moved closer.

A couple of seconds have passed and nobody made the moves to add onto the discussion, "Are we done talking?" Max looked at Callie and asked.

"I'd think we're done, we basically covered everything" Callie bopped her head as she thought back.

"Oh, good" Max breathed out, "Cause my water just broke" She let out a nervous laugh before looking at Callie.

"What! When? Like just now?" Callie asked jumping up from the bed and putting her arm around Max to walk her to the nearest wheel chair.

"Uh, maybe like right after I came into the room?" Max looked up at her friend sheepishly, "And I'm fine, Cal. I'll just walk.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Callie asked her, still not letting go of her.

"I didn't want to make it about me, just in case you wanted to talk, ya know?" Max laughed.

"You're crazy"

"I know" Max groaned, bending down a little in hopes it'll stop the contractions, "Holy shit this hurts"

"Page Mark Sloan! Tell him the baby's coming" Callie yelled out to the nurses at the station.

"He's in surgery, but page Arizona Robbins, I need someone to deliver this baby" Max breathed out, she looked down at the wheelchair that Callie grabbed, "No, walking helps the contractions"

"You're so goddamn crazy, you know that?" Callie told her, grabbing her arm once again and bringing her to the closest elevator.

"You've mentioned it"

Hour one

Max laid on the bed with Callie and Graham sitting in the corner, "This sucks, don't you think?" Max asked looking at her friends.

Callie and Graham immediately look at each other, "Oh, yeah. Majorly sucks" They stuttered together.

"You guys are useless. Where's Mark? I want Maeve here and did you call my parents?" Max rolled her eyes at the only two people in the room. "Oh mother of god" She groaned out when she felt another contraction.

"Leo just got off the phone with them, they are going to be here soon and they called Monty to tell him to pick up Maeve. As for Mark, he's still in surgery and we kind of figured that telling him that his baby was coming while doing a skin graft, wasn't the best idea" Graham looked at Callie with wide eyes before giving Max a sweet smile.

"I only like half of the sentence" Max gritted out.

"Do you want me to get Arizona?" Callie looked at Max's wincing face, she felt bad.

"I'm not going into delivery yet, Callie. You don't have to get her" Max brushed off. Taking the blanket off and sitting down the the medicine ball.

"I don't know what to do here, Maxi" Graham stood up and sighed, pacing around the room as if he was the father.

"Graham, sit down, you're fine" Max swatted at him to sit back down.

She rolled her body on the ball for a couple of more minutes before getting tired, she really wanted Mark here, "How much longer will Mark be in surgery?"

"It only just started, maybe an hour?" Graham told her, looking down at his watch.

"Why can't he have Dr. Rishaunder finish for him?" Max looked at them sadly.

"Dr. Rishaunder is on vacation" Callie reminded her.

"Well, why?"

"I don't know Max, ask the chief" Callie's sighed.

"Ugh. This sucks" Max yelled out in pain, moving her body again on the medicine ball so help the contractions, "It didn't hurt this much when I had Maeve"

"Is it supposed to in the first hour?" Graham looked at her with a worried expression.

"Eh"

Hour four

Monty showed up with Maeve an hour ago and then soon after Max's Mom showed up almost two hours ago, when she asked why her Dad wasn't here all her Mom said was that he didn't feel good so she decided it would be best to leave him at the home.

Lexie showed up only an hour ago, Max guessed that she only cake to keep Graham company, which was kind of working considering he wasn't pestering Max anymore.

"Your vitals are fine, all I have to do is check to see much longer we've got. How are you feelin?" Arizona stepped back from the monitor and walked down to the end of Max's bed, grabbing a pair of gloves so she could feel how dilated Max was.

"Like I'm an over filled balloon waiting to pop" Max breathed out, "It can't be long now, right?"

Arizona put her hand on top of Max's stomach and she stuck the other in Max's cervix, "Mmm, 4 and a half"

"Are you kidding me? I thought this was supposed to go faster my second go?" Max moaned, she was so done, "Give me the freaking epidural"

"Dr. Cricken, go grab an epidural and you're doing great, Max. You're perfect" Arizona smiled at her as she threw her gloves in the trash.

"Okay, where's Mark" Max rolled her eyes at Arizona and then directed her attention to Callie.

"He said he was on his way" Callie informed her, looking back at the door to see Dr. Cricken with the needle.

"Well what the hell, is he in some kind of slow poke race?" Max snipped back. She turned onto her side so that it all be easier for Arizona to inject the needle.

"I'm here, I'm here!" Mark ran into the room as Arizona was injecting the needle.

"Why are you yelling? It's a small room and Dr. Robbins has a big ass needle in me so maybe stop with the scares?" Max complained making Mark look around at the biggest delivery room that the hospital had and it wasn't small, "Oh thank god" Max sighed once Arizona said she was done.

"Where's Derek and Meredith?" Mark asked.

"I don't know? I mean there only the god-parents to this child, it's not like there important" Max sassed back, turning herself back so that she was laying on her back.

"They went to go grab the hospital bag, he only left like 5 minutes ago" Callie said giving him an actual answer.

"How are you doing? It can't be that long right?" Mark asked her softly, approaching her bed slowly as to not make any sudden movements.

"I would be doing okay if this baby was out of me and I'm only at 4 centimeters, which sucks" Max looked over at him and frowned, "Give me a kiss" She said which he happily gave.

"I thought it was supposed to be different the second time around?" Mark questioned just like Max did.

"I read that every pregnancy is different, therefore every labor process is as well. There unpredictable" Maeve shrugged her shoulder and then going back to her physics book, resting her head on Callie shoulder as she did so.

"Ugh, that's dumb" Max groaned out, "I have another four hours at least and I want to die"

Max moved further to one side of the bed so that Mark could lay on the other side, it would be a lot easier if he was next to her.

Hour Six

Half of Max's friends had left to get food or to stretch, the only ones left were: Her Mom, Callie, Maeve, Leo, Derek even though they still were on the outs and obviously Mark.

It was time for Arizona to come back in for the check in and Max just knew that she didn't make much progress.

"Dr. Robbins, please tell me something good" Max looked over at her as she put on her gloves.

"I'll try but you know that birth is a weird thing" Arizona offered.

"That's what Maeve said, kind of. Anyway, I'm tired and I want to go home" Max complained, her voice getting higher when she said home which meant she had another contraction, "Ugh"

"I'm sorry, Max" Arizona frowned when she looked up from Max's cervix, "Only 6 centimeters"

"Oh god. I hate you" Max looked over at Mark and squinted.

"What? What did I do?" Mark looked at Max with a shocked face.

"You" She pointed at him, "Made me" She then pointed to herself, "Pregnant" She said finally pointing to her stomach.

"It takes two to tango, Mom" Maeve commented.

"See, exactly" Mark looked over at Maeve and gave her a thumbs up.

"You turned my daughter on me? How dare you?" Max replied back harshly.

"Wow this is more entertaining then a soap opera" Callie laughed.

"It's dreadful, that's what it is" Piper complained.

"Just wait until this baby comes, all of this will be over" Derek said trying to lighten the mood.

"Derek, go away" Max groaned out, throwing a pillow at him, which he caught with a laugh.

Max turned her body to find the remote for the tv, she needed a distraction and these people were not providing her any. When she finally found it she pressed the on button and flipped through the channels, there was this new show on called Royal Pains and as much as she actually wanted to laugh at there medical advice, she couldn't help but find it entertaining as well.

"This again? I couldn't even sit through an episode without commenting how wrong it is" Mark groaned.

"Once you're the one pushing a watermelon out of your vagina, you can pick what we watch but until then hush it" Max looked at him and then back at the tv and turned on the volume.

It was so easy to loose track of time while watching tv, which was probably the reason why Max didn't realize it was the hour mark.

"Are you ready?" Arizona said walking into the room and immediately making her way to the gloves.

"Tell me something good" Max begged.

Arizona walked down the Max and began doing the same thing she's done for seven hours, "Sorry, 7 centimeters"

"Which is good, only a little while more" Callie offered.

"Not good. Want baby now" Max said in between contractions.

Mark grabbed Max's hand and guided her off the bed and onto the medicine ball, as much as it was weird to think that this would help.

"Why can't you just charm it out, if it's a girl perfect, girls like you. Not sure what it would do if it was a boy, boys don't really like you" Max said, wrapping her arms around Marks body as he massaged down her back.

Hour 8

Max was lucky that Arizona walked into the room, her contractions were so bad that both Mark and Derek had to hold her down, "Aaaargh" She screamed, "If you tell me that I'm only at 8 I'm going to personally kill you myself"

Arizona cracked a small smile, "I'm sure you will" She said, leaning down to check cervix, "Wow, it looks like you're at 10 centimeters!"

Max looked at Mark and laughed, "Thank god"

"Okay, Dr. Cricken, escort these people out so we can deliver this baby" Arizona ordered making him.

"Dr. Karev. Get Dr. Karev, he needs to help" Max moaned out, watching Dr. Cricken sprint out of the room to find him, she looked around the room to look at her family getting ready to leave, "Cal, stay"

Callie turned back around and looked at Max's face, "Me? You want me to stay?"

"You're our Best friend, I spent a lot of this pregnancy with you by my side" Max breathed out.

"Yeah, I'll stay. I'll stay" Callie smiled, walking over to the other side of Max's bed.

"Praying for you, sis. Can't wait to meet the little one" Leo kissed her on the head before walking out of the room.

She watched Maeve turn back around and walk straight to her Dad, "You better watch over them" She said as be pointed her finger at his face, "I love you, Mom" Giving her Mom a hug before leaving the room.

Max looked over at Mark and began to cry, "This is really happening, isn't it?"

"Hell yeah it is and I for one am excited" He grinned out, letting the tears fall down for only a second before wiping them away.

"I'm here! I'm here" Alex opened the door and yelled, "Let's get this show on the road" He said, turning around so that Dr. Cricken can tie his guard.

"Okay Maxi, feel free to start pushing" Arizona said from beside Alex.

Max watched as the other nurses put a blanket on top of Max's knees, "Okay, are we ready?" Arizona looked around the room and asked.

"Oh my god, Arizona. I'm ready, Marks ready, we are all ready" Max groaned.

"Good cause this baby isn't waiting for anybody" Arizona sat down on the chair and looked at the cervics.

"Okay, Max. I need you to push" Arizona directed, making Max push as hard as she could.

"Aaaargh" She yelled out.

"Good, Max. Keep it up"

"You're doing so good, Bubba. The baby's almost out" Mark rubbed her arm softly as she screamed.

"Wow, look at that head of hair" Callie laughed once she saw the head.

"Just get it out of me!" Max yelled again when she pushed again.

The only time Max stopped was when she heard the baby cry, "Congratulations, You've got a beautiful, healthy, boy"

Max immediately looked at Mark and started to cry, "It's a boy"

He looked down at the new baby and began to cry himself, "Oh wow"

Max watched as Alex took the baby to the cart to clean him up and wrap him in a blanket, she extended her arms when she saw Alex come back.

"He's so beautiful" Max cried out, "You look just like your daddy"

"I can't believe we had a boy, Callie can you believe we had a boy?" Marks voice jumped up from excitement.

"It's really something, couldn't imagine another male Sloan" She joked, wiping her own tear.

Mark gave her a slight glare before leaning down closer to look at his child, his eyes were blue and his full head of hair was a lot more then what they could even imagine. He was a sight to see.

"We've got a 73 year old male, call said he was moaning, yelling and having sweat attacks. We picked him up from the retirement home down the street so he hasn't been like this for long" The paramedic shouted out to Christina and her group of interns.

She raced to the side of the older man to check his vitals and checking his eyes, "Go get the Chief" She said, her voice was almost at a whisper, "Find Richard Webber now!" She screamed.

Pushing the man into the hospital as fast as she could, she ordered one of her interns to get a room ready so that they could transfer him into a better bed. A group of nurses grabbed the Gurnee from Christina so that they could get him better situated but she was frozen in shook.

"Who was that?" One of the interns said from beside her.

"Robert Mallard, my husbands father" Christina said monotonous.

"I think I like Malakai" Max said looking at the baby boy, "What do you think Maeve?"

"I don't know? They all look like blobs to me" The girl said shrugging her shoulders.

"A cute blob" Mark said, kissing the baby on the head, "Malakai is perfect, it's a strong name"

"This day is just perfect. I have the perfect family, I have the greatest friends and I love this wonderful job. I love life" She smiled at her family and friends that came in.

"Malakai Mallard-Sloan" Mark said looking down at the baby, "You're right, Maxi. This day is the best day"

"Nothing could go wrong" Piper smiled at the small family.

"Yang, why did you send a bunch of interns to my office? They just swarmed in there" Richard walked up to Christina with his hands on his hip.

"It's your brother, Sir. He came in here moaning, sweaty and you could tell he was restless" Christina looked at her boss with said eyes, she felt exactly what he did.

"Which are common symptoms of a dying dementia patient" He finished for her, turning his body to look down the hallway that Robert was just wheeled through.

"I have to go get Leo, sir. I'll tell Piper as well. You just go to Robert and keep him company" Christina gave Richard a pat on the back before making her way to Max's delivery room.

Richard watched her leave, he knew what he had to do but it was different when they person dying was someone you love but no matter how hard it was for him, it's a lot harder for Robert and right now he needed his younger brother.

He asked the nearest nurse where they took Robert, she said that he was only down the hall, so he made the short steps to where his brother was laying.

"Robert" Richard said breathlessly, walking into the room and sitting down next to the man.

"Richard" Robert replied back, his breath was hardly even heard.

The Chief turned to look at the nurse by the monitor, "How is he doing?"

"His vitals are stable for now but if I had to guess, he was like this for a couple hours and we both know that makes it harder for us to save him" The nurse watched at Richards face morphed into one of sadness, "I'm sorry, Sir"

Richard held his hand up, silently telling the young man to stop talking. Turning to his brother, he grabbed his hand tightly as if the stronger he held on the more time he got but sadly that wasn't the case. He rested his head on the bed, making sure that nobody saw the tears that were falling from his face.

Richard shot up when he heard Roberts Monitor beeped, looking over at him he noticed that he was now struggling to breathe, gasping for as much air that he could, "Nurse!" Richard shouted and looked out of the room for the nearest person only to be brought back from the sound of someone flatlining, "No!"

He jumped up from his seat and stood next to Roberts bed and began doing chest compressions, "Come on, Robert. You can't go now" His tears was clouding his eyes but that didn't stop him, it couldn't.

"Chief" Someone said from behind him, grabbing his arm to back him away from his brother.

"No! Let go! That is my brother, my protector. I need to save him" Richard yanked his arm back and began doing chest compressions again, this time, he didn't care who saw him cry.

"Please let me save him"

"There's nothing to save. He's gone, Dr. Webber, he's gone" The nurse tugged again.

"He can't be, I won't let him go. I have to save him like those times he saved me, I have to return the favor" Richard fought against the nurse that was trying to keep him from saving his brother, "We promised Mom that we could look out for each other" He sobbed harder making his stop struggling, when the Nurse finally let him go, Richard fell onto the seat.

"Richard?" Piper said from outside of the room.

He immediately turned his face to look at his sister, getting up he made his way to her, "I'm sorry, Piper. I tried everything I could, I tried-" She pulled him into a hug, letting him cry on her shoulder.

"Dad?" Leo's voice echoed, walking closer to his father, "Come on, wake up" He said, shaking his father slightly.

"Leo" Christina said from behind him, putting her hand on his shoulder softly.

"No, he can't die. Max just had a baby and he didn't meet him, he has to meet him, Christina" Leo turned around and sobbed onto her shoulder, "He can't go yet"

"He will meet him, Leo. He will feel him in everything he does, he will hear those wonderful story's about your Dad and how much you looked up to him. He is with us in everything that we do" Christina whispered into Leo's ear soothingly as she rubbed his back. She peered over his shoulder and looked at her father-in-laws lifeless body and she couldn't help but cry as well.

\\
Not edited

Oh holy shit

My eyes hurt from crying lol

Malakai Mallard-Sloan was born only an hour before his grandpa died

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18K 624 8
𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘳𝘦 || "all I know addie, is when I stare at you all I think about is kissing you and planning a future with you and how brilliant you are and...
3.4K 121 9
𝐇𝐚𝐫𝐦𝐨𝐧𝐲 𝖧𝖺𝗋𝗆𝗈𝗇𝗒 𝖺𝗇𝖽𝖾𝗋𝗌 𝖺 𝗌𝗎𝗋𝗀𝗂𝖼𝖺𝗅 𝗂𝗇𝗍𝖾𝗋𝗇 𝖺𝗍 𝖲𝖾𝖺𝗍𝗍𝗅𝖾 𝖦𝗋𝖺𝖼𝖾 𝗁𝗈𝗌𝗉𝗂𝗍𝖺𝗅 𝖧𝖺𝗋𝗆𝗈𝗇𝗒 𝗐𝖺𝗌 �...
1.3M 33.3K 98
❝I'm not going anywhere, because you're the one.❞ She was the fall he had always desired. He was the warmth she never knew she needed. They were love...
57.9K 1.4K 63
Leo Sloan is a resident at Seattle Grace and younger brother of Mark Sloan. He is tasked with watching over his own interns the year Meredith Grey en...