Fate I

By kirariidol

In the far eastern continent laid the infamous, imperial Kou Empire. Its land stretched farther than any othe... More

I
II
III
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XL
XLI
XLII
XLIII
XLIV
XLV
XLVI
XLVII
XLVIII
XLIX
L
LI
LII
LIII
LIV
LV
LVI
LVII
LVIII
LIX
LX
LXI
LXII
LXIII
LXIV
LXV
LXVI
LXVII
LXVIII
LXIX
LXX
LXXI
LXXII
LXXIII
LXXIV
LXXV
LXXVI
LXXVII
LXXVIII
LXXIX
LXXX
LXXXI
LXXXII
LXXXIII
LXXXIV
LXXXV
LXXXVI
LXXXVII
LXXXVIII
LXXXIX
XC
XCI
XCII
XCIII
XCIV
XCV
XCVI
XCVII
XCVIII
XCIX
C
CI
CII
CIII
CIV
CV
CVI
CVII
CVIII
CIX
CX
CXI
CXII
CXIII
CXIV
CXV
CXVI
CXVII
CXVIII
CXIX
CXX
CXXI
CXXII
CXXIII
CXXIV
CXXV
CXXVI
CXXVII
CXXVIII
CXXIX
CXXX
CXXXI
CXXXII
CXXXIII
CXXXIV
CXXXV
CXXXVI
CXXXVII
CXXXVIII
CXXXIX
CXL
CXLI
CXLII
CXLIII
CXLIV
CXLV
CXLVI
CXLVII
CXLVIII
CXLIX
CL
CLI
CLII
CLIII
CLIV
CLV
CLVI
CLVII
CLVIII
CLIX
CLX
CLXI
CLXII
CLXIII
CLXIV
CLXV
CLXVI
CLXVII
CLXVIII
CLXIX
CLXX
CLXXI
CLXXII
CLXXIII
CLXXIV
CLXXV
CLXXVI
CLXXVII
CLXXVIII
CLXXIX
CLXXX
CLXXXI
CLXXXII
CLXXXIII
CLXXXIV
CLXXXV
CLXXXVI
CLXXXVII
CLXXXVIII
CLXXXIX
CXC
CXCI
CXCII
CXCIII
CXCIV
CXCV
CXCVI
CXCVII
CXCVIII
CXCIX
CC

IV

1.4K 53 9
By kirariidol

"How has it been? Have you been getting used to the palace, Lucy dear?"

Lucy placed down her cup of tea and turned her head, facing the Empress. The sides of her blonde hair were pulled back and tied together with a light pink peony accessory as silver hairpins were placed through it, letting its simple but fine jewels dangle from it. She wore a white-sleeved robe with a light purple and pink gradient dress tied from around her chest with peony patterns lining the hems of the dress as a pale pinkish-white hagoromo hung from her arms. Despite her simple wear, her cuteness shone through and there was no doubt that in a few years time, she would become a remarkable beauty.

"Much thanks to Empress and Emperor, this lowly servant has been well," Lucy replied with a bright smile.

The Empress smiled happily hearing her say that. "It's a shame though. Once Layla and Jude returns, you'll be leaving the palace," she sighed and pouted. "You should just live here."

"Answering the Empress, that would be improper," Lucy chuckled nervously. "As much as this lowly servant wishes to pay Her Majesty company, it will simply not do for an outsider to reside within the Imperial Palace."

"You can enter as Koumei's friend," the Empress said. "You are a lady of the Heartfilia family and no one would judge. Besides, Koumei seems to be very fond of you. He, who rarely comes out from his hall, often now comes out."

Lucy chuckled. "Though it is I who often intrudes upon him."

"Not at all," she grinned. "Having you by his side has made him open up more. Lucy dear, too. Are you fond with having Koumei as company?"

Lucy stopped as she perked up. Holding her cup of tea, her eyes were soft and glass-like. "I rarely have anyone to talk to back at the Heartfilia manor since both father and mother are busy. That's why being in his company and having someone to talk to, I really enjoy it," Lucy smiled warmly. "To me, he's a great friend," she smiled genuinely with only happiness in her eyes.

"A friend, huh?" the Empress thought about it before bursting into laughter, surprising Lucy.

"E-Empress?"

"N-No, it's nothing," she wiped away a tear. "If Koumei were to hear that, then I wonder how he would react."

Lucy tilted her head in question and that just made her seem all the much cuter. The Empress held her close and Lucy widened her eyes in surprise.

"If only I had a daughter," she sighed. "Layla really is lucky. To have such a daughter like you."

Lucy pulled her lips into a line as she lowered her eyes in shyness.

"Oh! If you can't enter with the official title of a friend, then I can make it so that you're my lady-in-waiting," the Empress pointed out.

"Empress..."

"Unfortunately, due to her age, that will not be possible."

The Empress and Lucy both turned heads to where the voice had come from and Koumei, followed by Kouen, came in. The servants bowed and Kouen and Koumei lifted their robes to the front as they knelt down on the floor.

"Child greets Mother Empress," the two bowed.

The Empress smiled as she waved her hand for them to rise. The two stood up and she waved her hand over and Koumei obediently walked over, a timid look on his face. He hated being showered with her affections for though she had good intentions, she was a bit overbearing at times.

"It's been a while since I last saw the two of you," the Empress mused. "And I'm sure that the only reason why Koumei came must have been because of Lucy."

At that, Koumei blushed a beet red. "M-Mother!"

She laughed and Lucy looked on with a blank stare.

"Of course that's not true, Empress," Lucy smiled with innocence. "Why would His Highness the Second Imperial Prince come out of his way to meet with this lowly servant? This lowly servant who has known him since only a few days ago cannot compare to Her Majesty, his Mother. He most surely must have come to greet you."

Koumei paled at hearing her words and the Empress placed a sleeve over her hand as she faced the side, barely holding in her laughter.

"Lucy dear, you're too much."

"Eh?"

Even Kouen was barely holding in his laughter, his lips twitching. In Lucy's eyes, the idea of romance didn't exist and to her, everyone that she knew was either her friend or acquaintance. She always acted with an air unbefitting of her age so one would simply forget that she was still just a five-year-old child. In situations like these, one was reminded of her age once more and Kouen smirked. She really was interesting.

Kouen watched as his mother doted on Koumei and Kouen caught Lucy's stare. He looked at her and she looked back at him. The edges of her lips curled upward into a faint smile as her eyes reflected him and only him. He widened his eyes, mesmerized by her gaze, before turning his head away. She knew exactly what to do to brighten him up and he secretly wished she didn't. The more she observed him and the more she took notice of him, he craved it even more and he didn't want any more of this feeling. If it continued to grow, there would soon come a time where he no longer knew how to control it.

"So, Kouen dear," the Empress turned to him with a warm smile and Kouen softened his gaze. "It's rare for you to visit the Phoenix Hall. I hope everything's faring well on your end."

"You need not worry, Mother Empress," Kouen answered. "Child is doing well."

"I see," the Empress gave a rather lonesome smile for though she equally loved her two sons, Kouen was not the type to wish to be openly doted on and would distance himself. If there was one thing she wished she could change about him, it would be his coldness. "If things are difficult, don't hesitate to ask for help. After all, Mother is the Empress of this country. As the Empress, we are well-versed in political and economic affairs."

Kouen lowered his head. "Child will remember."

The Empress smiled and stood up, walking over to him. "Good," she grinned and held Kouen close to her. "Remember that before you're the First Imperial Prince and before I'm the Empress of the Kou Empire, you're my son, Kouen dear."

Widening his eyes, he slowly closed them and gave a meek nod of his head. "Child will remember."

Letting go of him, the Empress smiled affectionately and Kouen simply continued to put up his cold front. But, even though he had put it up, it couldn't hide the look of silent joy in his eyes. That was the first time he had been told that he could rest from his mother and to a child, what other words would bring more joy than that. Lucy smiled to herself and she was left thinking about her own mother. In her eyes, Layla was the most beautiful and graceful person she had ever met and loved her with her entire being. She loved her mother and to not be in her arms and her comfort, she could only smile a blank smile void of feelings. Even if they were born in the Imperial Palace, she envied them for even with the many schemes spiraling around, they had the protection and affections of each other and most of all, their parents.

"Lucy?" Koumei looked at her.

She simply sat there with a dazed look and Koumei looked at her with a look of concern. Compared to her usual bright personality, she was different and he didn't like it. He didn't like the dead look in her eyes as if she was all alone in this world. Pulling his lips into a tight line, he took ahold of her hand and she gazed into his soft, maroon eyes which reflected her silhouette. How beautiful she looked in those crystal eyes of his that she wondered if that was how he viewed her.

"Let's go feed the pigeons later. What do you think?" he grinned.

He was not the type to take initiative and seeing him do so, Lucy widened her eyes as they shone with light. She could see the soft blush on his cheeks and the way his cheeks were strained from smiling in a way he was not used to. But, he didn't mind; he didn't mind doing it for her sake. Lowering her gaze, her bangs partially covered her face but was unable to hide the faint smile upon her peachy lips.

"Mn," she nodded her head. "Let's do that."

Koumei smiled and the two grinned at each other and Kouen watched on with a blank stare before straying his eyes away. The Empress gave a despondent smile. She loved her son and was willing to give him anything he wanted and anything he wished for but Lucy was not someone she would give him. He was aware of this and whether she should be happy about it or not, she wasn't sure. The only thing she regretted was not having been able to treat him more like a child.

Then, noticing a eunuch standing to the side with a mahogany tray holding a golden, silk scroll along with several eunuchs behind him and soldiers standing out in the doorway. Kouen followed his mother's gaze and realized what he had initially come for.

"Mother Empress, Koumei, Lucy. I have come with the decree of the Emperor," he announced.

Hearing so, the three of them along with the maidservants who had been attending to them all gathered and knelt down. Kouen stood before them as the witness as the eunuch came up behind him to the side and unrolled the decree. Opening it, he began to read the statements inscribed on it.

"By the Mandate of Heaven, the Emperor hereby decrees, Ren Koumei of the Ren Imperial Household. Lucy Heartfilia of the Heartfilia Household. Both rendered meritorious service in sustaining the welfare of the nation and for that, no words will express the sincere gratitude of the people and of the nation. We hereby appoint Ren Koumei as a Third Rank Prince with the title of 'Venerable Prince'. He will be awarded 10,000 taels of gold and the Black-Eyed Hawks."

Koumei widened his eyes. The Black-Eyed Hawks?! That's one of the Emperor's scouting troops!

"Lucy Heartfilia will be equally awarded 10,000 taels of gold for her efforts and contributions along with the finest jewels and gold from the South, five large rolls of guanghan silk, and," two of the eunuchs unveiled the red cloth and Lucy widened her eyes upon seeing it, "the Phoenix Harp."

"By the Emperor himself," the eunuch finished and rolled up the scroll. "Ren Koumei-sama. Lucy Heartfilia-sama. Please accept it."

Ren Koumei raised his hands to the air and the two lowered themselves as Koumei accepted the decree.

"Thank you, Your Majesty."

The eunuchs left the awards to the side and left with the Emperor's soldiers right behind them. The maids all stood up and the Empress waved them away, leaving the four of them to themselves. Koumei and Lucy were both left in awe. They were aware that the Emperor would've awarded them with something but they didn't think that they would award them with this much. To them, the plan that they had written up was nothing but a measly task that they had done on a whim and didn't think it would deserve anything but it seemed that they had underestimated the scale of the situation regarding the drought.

"Father Emperor really went all out," Koumei said with a blank face, having passed out from the shock of it all.

"If you think that's all there is to it, Father Emperor has also dispatched workers to build a new scholar hall in the center of the Forbidden City. It'll be built on a grand scale, honoring the two of you, and it'll be a place where both the rich and the poor will be able to access the best of materials and documents for free."

"For free?!" Koumei widened his eyes.

"Of course, many nobles and aristocrats have made donations. After all, what this country needs is talent and to those loyal to the Emperor and the Kou Empire, sacrificing personal expenses is nothing."

At that, Koumei simply floated to the side and sat there lifeless, his soul escaping from him. It was just too overwhelming. Kouen saw Lucy's eyes drawn to the Phoenix Harp, her honey-chocolate eyes shining with brilliance and he softened his gaze upon seeing her expression. He had to hand it over to his father. He really did know what gifts to award people.

"Do you like it?" he asked.

Lucy blindly nodded her head as she grazed her finger over the crown and neck. A golden phoenix was crafted as the crown, its wings spread along its neck and shoulder. Lowering her gaze, her eyes shone with pure delight beneath her eyelashes.

"It's beautiful," her voice but a faint whisper.

"Indeed," the Empress spoke as a tick mark appeared on her forehead as Lucy simply stared at the harp with an enchanted expression, no longer taking in whatever was happening in the background. "He really did go all out."

A bead of sweat rolled down his face. It's become an ongoing war of gift-giving between the two of them.

"Not only that, five rolls of guanghan silk," the Empress gently traced her fingertips along the rare and expensive fabric that the Kou Empire could only produce three of them in a year. "This will surely make people talk. And here I was thinking about gifting it as their wedding gift," the Empress murmured to herself but audible enough for Kouen to hear it.

His face darkened and he lowered his gaze.

"But as long as she likes it, then it's fine," the Empress smiled.

She chuckled to herself as she looked at Lucy who paid no attention to any of the other luxuries that had been given to her. In her eyes, she loved not impermanent things but rather, immutable things. Music was one such thing that can not be changed throughout history and Koutoku had made the right choice. No one else but her would be able to play these instruments. These instruments were meant for her and meant to be played by her hands. Indeed, if she had not been born into the Heartfilia family, then she would've made a wonderful immortal as these instruments would gradually soon come to fall in her hands.

"Koumei dear. Lucy dear," the Empress called out to the two of them and the two snapped out of their thoughts and turned to her.

"Yes?" they both tilted their heads.

So cute! the Empress placed both her hands over her mouth as she blushed and Kouen stared blankly on as lightning flashed in the background.

Coughing his throat, the Empress calmed herself down.

"Since the Emperor has awarded each of you 10,000 taels of gold for your efforts, what do you plan on doing with it? I'm sure that it'll take awfully long to spend it and with that amount, it's possible to live several years in luxury with that."

"For Koumei, it would be suitable to save it for it'll be a while from now but sooner or later, he will become independent and be granted his own manor."

"That's true," she nodded her head in agreement. "I'm assuming that Lucy won't necessarily need to do that since she is the sole daughter of the Heartfilia family and with that, she'll be the next Head of her family."

Lucy sat there with a poised air as lilies bloomed around her in the background. As the next Head, she would surely have control over the trade of the Kou Empire where the power of the Heartfilia family can not even be looked down upon by the Emperor himself. She would definitely be the most sought after bride in the country but what other families would she be a match for besides the one that had called their hold on her first.

The Empress smiled proudly as Kouen thought that and indeed, she was a scheming woman who had calculated to this extent just to get what she wanted. She and the Emperor were definitely a match made in heaven.

Koumei and Lucy looked at each other, blinking their eyes, before flashing a wide grin at one another.

"Hm?"

"Replying to Mother Empress, we will not do that," Koumei said.

"Ho?" she mused. "Then what will you be using it on?"

"In comparison to what is being currently held in the national treasury, 20,000 taels of gold might not be worth a lot but it's better than nothing," he continued. "We will be giving it all back to the people of this country in hopes that even this measly amount might alleviate their sufferings."

Kouen widened his eyes. If this was the Koumei he knew in the past, he would've been timid and left everything for his mother and him to take care of. He would've never decided anything by himself. Koumei turned to Lucy and grinned and Kouen closed his mouth in realization.

It was Lucy that changed him.

He smiled softly to himself and closed his eyes. Yeah, I don't think I can take her away from you, Koumei.

He needed her and by keeping her by his side, he was slowly changing into one befitting to act as the pillar of support to the Emperor and the Kou Empire itself. Closing his eyes, he hardened his heart. He would let these feelings of his die before they fully bloomed and from now on, he would dedicate himself to the path of the Emperor. She was his future sister-in-law and he would treat her as he would his own younger sister.

Stepping over to Lucy, he reached out a hand and patted her head, his face cold but his eyes soft with fondness. "I see."

Lucy raised her head to meet his eyes and her eyes shone brightly, reflecting his portrait.

It was hard. It was really hard.

Kouen, you must endure, the Empress gulped back her tears as her heart broke watching her son. You will be the Emperor of the Kou Empire. You must endure.

Soon, a maid came in and knelt before the Empress. The Empress looked at her with a blank, cold gaze.

"Speak."

"Reporting to Empress, Layla Heartfilia-sama has arrived."

At that, the Empress broke into a smile. "Let her in."

"Yes."

With one more bow, the maid picked herself up and left with Layla soon entering the Phoenix Hall. Her silver and white hairpins and earrings embedded with sapphire jewels adorned her updo hair and ears as she picked up the side of her grand, high-collared, ocean blue dress with silver patterns sewn on the purple-blue outer robe, forming flowers. Connected to the outer dark robe, a train formed at the back of her dress as it split into two ends. The manner of her dress brought out the mature and calm woman she usually was, letting her child-like personality gently slide away.

"Greetings to the Empress," Layla bowed.

"No need for the formalities between us, Layla," the Empress smiled. "You should know that."

Layla smiled and lowered her head. "I shall keep that in mind."

Upon seeing her mother, Lucy immediately began making her way to her with small but quick steps, her hands reaching out to Layla as Layla bent down to meet her level. Embracing her mother, Lucy nuzzled her face deep into the silk of her outer robe, missing her mother's scent and warm embrace. Layla's eyes shone with deep affection as she lovingly caressed her child in her arms. Looking at the two like this, the two were indeed the same. If one didn't know better, one would think they were the same person but of two ages. However, there was a slight difference. Layla was mature and held a peaceful air around her but Lucy was bright, soft, and there was a gentleness to her that couldn't be put into words.

"Mother," Lucy held her hands up.

But, as much as she was mature, in front of her daughter, she instantly retorted back to her child-like personality. Seeing her cuteness, Layla squealed as she held her even tighter. "My lovely daughter, you're getting cuter and cuter by the day!" she said, nuzzling her cheek against hers. "At this rate, I won't be able to give you away!"

The Empress cleared her throat, her eyes gleaming. "Layla."

The latter chuckled carefreely. "It can still be changed."

"Ho? You wish to go back on your words?"

"I have not promised anything, dear Empress."

Lightning flashed in the background between the two and Kouen and Koumei stood on the sidelines, not wishing to be involved in their little feud. Koumei sweated bullets as he watched on with anxious eyes. Kouen saw the expression in his younger brother's eyes and mused slightly to himself. Little did he know that he was also involved within this feud — whether it be indirectly or directly. But, thinking about it, Koumei was going to become an amazing person. To have the backing of the Heartfilia family, it wouldn't be a surprise for rumors to start circulating about him usurping the throne when he becomes the next Emperor of the Kou Empire.

"How has your stay been, Lucy?" Layla brushed Lucy's bangs back and behind her ear.

"It's been enjoyable," Lucy softened her eyes, not really wanting to answer her mother's question for all she wanted right now was to be in her presence and be doted upon.

Layla chuckled and picked her up in her arms. "It seems that His Majesty has gifted quite the number of gifts."

"They did contribute quite the feat," the Empress said with pride.

"I have heard," Layla closed her eyes and looked over the gifts. Noticing the Phoenix Harp, she gave a small smile. The two legendary string instruments were now all in Lucy's hands. "I shall have someone bring this back to our residence. Luke."

At his name, a middle-aged man clad in black, western clothes appeared in an instant beside her, kneeling on one knee. He had ashy, blonde hair with eyes that shimmered like an emerald. He wore a suit with a white, victorian collared shirt underneath. A gold chain hung from his vest's side pocket and a green, ovular emerald at the center of his neck, pinning the ruffled necktie together. His name was Luke and was the Heartfilia's family Head Butler. Despite appearing calm and proper, all butlers and maids under the Heartfilia family were well-trained in combat to a certain extent but that didn't mean to underestimate them. After all, they were all part of the Shadow Corps which secretly guarded the Heartfilias. Not even the Empire's own forces could stand against them.

"Yes, Mistress."

Luke was Layla's childhood friend and had been serving the Heartfilia family the longest. Unlike the others, he served Layla and no one else. Not even Jude, who was the current patriarch. To Lucy, he was like an uncle and if anything, she even viewed him as more of a father-figure than her own biological figure for ever since she could remember, he had been the one taking care of her along with Layla.

"The gold we will leave here," Layla said. "When His Majesty is no longer busy, we will pay a visit for his thanks."

"There'll be no such need. I'm aware of how busy it can be at the Merchant's Guild and these are her deserved rewards. There is no need for thanks," the Empress waved her hand.

"As Her Majesty commands," Layla gave a curtsy with one hand as she held Lucy in the other. "I thank you for allowing Lucy to stay here."

"In this Imperial Palace, no one would touch her under my watch," the Empress scoffed, an air of majesty and authority around her. "Otherwise, they'd know what would happen to them."

Layla smiled. She was indeed the Mother of the country. With two sons and the Emperor's favor, she was untouchable. She was kind but not too kind. She was fair and just but cruel and merciless. She herself would have never survived in the Palace for this long. If anything, she might've lost her sanity just like the Third Imperial Prince's mother.

"Shall we go, Lucy?"

Lucy nodded her head.

"You are welcome back any time, Lucy," the Empress smiled softly.

Lucy nodded her head and seeing Koumei, she smiled as her cheeks were tinted a rosy hue. "Bye, bye, Koumei."

"Make sure you visit the Palace every now and then," he exclaimed with frantic eyes as he waved his hand reluctantly.

"Mn," she nodded her head before catching Kouen.

He looked up and widened his eyes and Lucy flashed a bright smile. "Bye, bye, Kouen."

Her voice was sweet and gentle like the sound of chimes in the clear, spring breeze and her honey-brown eyes were mellow and clear, sparkling as they gazed deep into his maroon orbs. Layla gave a troubled look and curtsied before heading out, Luke right behind her as his fellow subordinates carried out the rewards that had been bestowed upon Lucy. Koumei ran out of the palace, following them but they had long gone down the stairs to where their carriage awaited at the gates of the outer palace. Kouen stood there as he watched his brother run past. Whereas Koumei could freely express his emotions, he couldn't even follow her out.

"You're aware," his mother came up to him.

"Yes," he bitterly answered.

"Do you hold feelings for her?"

Kouen was silent before raising his head, his eyes blank, cold, and lifeless. No hint of emotion laid within them as he spoke with harshness in his tone. "She is his."

With that, he left as he carried on like he usually did. He expressed no resentment, remorse, or even sadness. The Empress reached a hand out but pulled it back and averted her gaze. There was nothing that could be done. Their paths could not intertwine for if they did, then this wheel of fate would begin turning mercilessly. They needed to avoid her fate. Her demise.

Meanwhile~

Layla heaved a heavy sigh as she held Lucy, who had fallen asleep, in her arms. Luke had offered to carry her but Layla adamantly refused for it had been too long since she had last held her daughter like this and she knew exactly what Luke's intentions were. The two were similar for when Lucy had first been brought into the world, the usual professional air he had around him cracked and he returned back to that child-like Luke who loved cute things that she had known.

"Is there something wrong, Mistress?" he asked.

Layla shook her head. "I should've expected so. It was foolish of me to think that the two would have little to no contact or, if possible, never meet again."

"Should we break off the engagement? The Miss is still only five-years-old."

"No. Though they might not seem like it, the Emperor and the Empress are every bit serious about this. If Lucy doesn't marry into the Imperial family and another one, the Heartfilia family will be seen as a threat."

"Because they take it that the Heartfilia family do not wish to ally themselves with the Imperial family."

"Correct."

"Lucy is talented. Intelligent. An existence that the Imperial family won't give up to others. She is an important asset to this Kou Empire and if she were to land in the hands of others, the Kou Empire definitely won't leave this alone."

Luke narrowed his eyes in disdain.

"Cruel, isn't it?" Layla scoffed. "She's only five-years-old," she patted Lucy's head softly. "Only five-years-old."

The anger in Layla's eyes was clear for no matter how much she thought of Koutoku and the Empress as her friends, there were certain things that they did that overstepped the acceptable bounds. One of them was treating her daughter like this. She knew they cared for her and treasured her like their own daughter but there were certain things that they could not do because of the very fact that they lived in the Palace. Their hearts had steeled itself and they weren't afraid to do the despicable. Even Jude had somewhat become like them. He was her father but also a merchant. He weighed the benefits and drawbacks on a scale and every one of his actions was all calculated. Layla held Lucy tighter in her arms and furrowed her brows as tears welled up in her eyes.

"The only way for her to survive is to place her by their side. The Second Imperial Prince, Ren Koumei, will do that. Even the First Imperial Prince won't go as far as to take from his younger brother."

"To his siblings, he is kind-hearted. Especially to Koumei."

"Only those two are fully blood-related to each other."

Luke looked at Layla and stayed silent. She looked up towards the sky and heaved a sigh as the wind blew her robes, Lucy's hair ruffling softly in the spring breeze.

"Will he be heartless and cruel or will he be wise and benevolent?" she looked into the distance before Luke helped her onto the carriage. "Only time will tell."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.4K 426 46
This is the continuation of Fate I and will start with Chapter CCI. In the far eastern continent laid the infamous, imperial Kou Empire. Its land str...
97.2K 3.1K 12
Kouha from Magi When you find out you're to be in an arranged marriage with the Kou Empire you aren't the happiest girl. Upon fist meeting with Kouha...
1M 27.5K 43
It was her dream to be able to join Fairy Tail, the strongest guild in all of Fiore. But now, was she really all that joyful that she joined that gui...
425K 13.7K 94
Fairy Tail, a guild known for its prestigious mages and also its destructive nature, was a place where almost all mages wished to be a part of. Yet...