Constantly ♡ (Paul Lahote)

By StephanieWithAnA

"So let's test your theory." "What theory?" Paul smirked at me as he backed me up against the door. I watche... More

1 - Damaged
2 - Angry
3 - Bruised
4 - Hurt
5 - Healing
6 - Jealous
7 - Surprised
8 - Confused
9 - Sleeping
10 - Road Tripping
11 - Leaving
12 - Calling
13 - Assuming
14 - Apologizing
15 - Heading Home
16 - Reunited
17 - Discovering
18 - Celebrating
19 - Getting What You Want
20 - Fighting It
21 - Breaking Down
22 - New Year, New Me
23 - Tasting
24 - Back to Life
26 - Starting Over
27 - Screwing Up
28 - Working It Out
29 - Heartbroken
30 - Cashing In That Rain Check
31 - Hot and Bothered
32 - Saying Goodbye
33 - Living My Best Wolf Life
34 - The Wolf is Out
35 - Surprised Again
36 - Challenging
37 - Giving You My Everything
38 - Crying Over You
39 - Coming Home For Christmas
40 - Confessing
41 - Making Up
42 - Back to School
43 - No Longer Jailbait
44 - Getting Discovered
45 - Getting Marked
46 - Getting Even
The Epilogue

25 - Facing the Truth

1.9K 43 42
By StephanieWithAnA

When I walked through the doors of my old high school, it was like goingback in time. It smelled the same. The kids were different of course, but the excited chatter of the last day of school was undeniable. The halls were littered with stray papers even though there were extra garbage cans set up for locker cleanups.

I made my way to the principal's office. I knew where it was even though I didn't need to go there much when I attended high school. I was the good girl. I focused on my studies and stayed out of trouble. I laughed to myself when I thought about what my high school self would have thought of Paul Lahote as a boyfriend. I definitely would have run the other way.

I announced my arrival to the secretary and waited to be called back. I turned and glanced out of the windowed office. My eyes automatically drifted to the strong jaw of the boy I'd been crazy about for almost a year. My stomach dropped and I held my breath. As a reflex, I reached for the doorknob, needing to close the distance between us.

I suddenly froze when I saw him stop and wrap his arm around an all too familiar female...Leah. She slipped her arm around his waist and they continued down the hall together. I felt as though In had been punched in the gut.

"Miss Black? Mrs. Gordon will see you now."

I scowled when I lost sight of Paul and Leah in the sea of students crammed down the long hallway. I forced a smile and made my way to the principal's tiny office.

I could barely focus on my interactions with the woman in front of me, because my thoughts kept drifting back to Paul. He didn't know I would be here, really no one did. My dad had picked me up at the train station and let me borrow his truck to get here. Other than that, my presence was a mystery to everyone. And now that I had seen Leah hanging on Paul, I was starting to wish I had stayed in Seattle.

When the meeting ended, I shook hands with Mrs. Gordon. She seemed pleased with the interview, but I hoped this would be the last place I would be assigned to student teach next year. It would be too weird with Jacob, his friends and of course, Paul.

When I left the office, I went to the left instead of the right and found myself wandering the near empty halls. It was so strange to be back here after being gone for three years. I glanced into a display case, noticing the pictures inside looked the same as they had when I went here.

I caught the reflection of a familiar face and heard an even more familiar voice. "Rachel? Is that you?"

I turned slowly and my smile spread. "Yeah, it's me, Embry."

He looked so happy to see me and in that moment, I was glad it was him who found me and not someone else. We stood there awkwardly until I stepped into his arms and hugged him tightly. I heard him sigh as though he was glad that I had made the first move. Hugging him seemed natural and although this was not the first time, it felt different. We were closer now, we had shared so much and I felt we knew each other better.

When he released me, I laughed. "You finally grew," I observed, looking up at him a little more than I had 5 months ago. I squeezed his ribs and noted, "But you're still too skinny."

He held my shoulders in his hands and smiled widely. "I have good metabolism...sue me."

I chuckled lightly and nodded. It felt easy and comfortable talking to Embry. We laughed and joked together in the most natural way. He finally asked me what I knew he was dying to know. "So I take it you're not here to see me?" he asked hopefully.

I scowled playfully at him. "I'm not here to see Paul either, so don't feel bad."

He bit back a smile and nodded slowly. He slipped his arm around my shoulder and guided me to his locker, that he had already begun clearing out. "So do I have to guess?" he mused as he tossed out a handful of papers.

I leaned on the locker next to his and shook my head. "I'm interviewing for student teaching positions. Not just here, but in Forks and Port Angeles. I wouldn't start until after Christmas though."

Embry looked at me with a crazy smile. "You...teaching here? That would be crazy."

I sighed. "Let's hope I don't end up here. I hate to think how that would go down."

Embry glanced over my shoulder and scowled. I followed his line of sight, noticing Paul and Leah halfway down the hall as she watched him clean out his locker. "How long has that been going on?" I asked absently, trying to act like I didn't care.

"About a week or two. Her longtime boyfriend, Sam was missing for a few weeks. He shows back up, all muscular and shit with his hair cut off and proceeds to dump her. Oh and he fell for her cousin in the process. Isn't that messed up?"

"Wow," I replied. "And now she's with Paul?"

"No...I don't...I think they're just friends, Rachel," he sputtered nervously. "I don't think he likes her like that."

Leah was tossing her head back and laughing. It sure as hell looked like flirting to me. "I'm gonna go," I announced suddenly. This was the last place I wanted to be.

"Have you seen Jacob yet?"

I shook my head quickly. "I've only seen you."

We glanced back down the hallway, where Leah was running her hand up Paul's arm. I felt nauseous. "I just can't be here right now."

Embry looked down at me and frowned. "You're gonna have to deal with him eventually."

"But not now," I replied sadly. I glanced back to them and cursed under my breath. Paul and Leah were walking this way, arm in arm. "I wish I could just disappear."

Embry looked at them and pulled me close to him. He wedged me between him and his opened locker. He lifted his arms and tucked me under his chin, completely hiding me from Paul. I leaned in closer to him when I heard Paul's voice. "Damn, Embry...are you coming up for air or what?"

I could feel myself shaking as Paul smacked Embry on the back, pushing us even closer together. After a few minutes had passed, Embry closed his arms around me and whispered, "I think he's gone."

I tipped my head back and peered up at him. "Please check."

Embry nodded almost imperceptibly. He leaned back and looked toward the exit. "I don't see him anymore."

A gave him a small smile and nodded. "Thanks. I really owe you one."

Embry gave me a devilish smile and bit his lip. "Oh really?"

I rolled my eyes at him and pushed him back gently. "You're such a pervert. I gotta go."

He laughed as I slinked down the hall and out of his sight. I was still smiling until I looked up and saw Paul leaning against his Bronco, with his back to me, and Leah facing him. She was leaning into him, I assumed for a kiss. I nearly sprinted to my dad's truck, hoping he wouldn't notice me.

I slid into the driver's seat and checked the rearview mirror, but I didn't see Leah or Paul, but his car was still there. Before I could even turn the key, the passenger door jerked open and Paul stood in the doorway leaning in.

I glanced over at him and scowled. "I gotta go. Can you shut the door?"

Paul threw his head back and laughed as he climbed in beside me and pulled the keys from the ignition. "Now you're not going anywhere."

"Paul!" I argued. "I'm not messing around. I have a shift at the diner and I can't be late."

He moved a little closer to me and whispered, "Oh, you're gonna be very late."

I pressed a hand to his chest and growled. "Did you use that line on Leah too?"

Paul squeezed his eyes shut and cringed. "I'm sorry you saw that..."

"I bet you are," I interrupted quickly. "I'm sure you were trying to keep her a secret, but you know what? I don't even care. Do what you want. I didn't come here for you." My voice kept rising and I had zero ability to keep my cool.

Paul just smirked and cocked his head. "Did you come here for Embry? I know you two have been talking."

I scoffed. "Yeah. I talk to Embry sometimes and do you know why?" I paused, but his smirk remained. "He actually answers the phone when I call him." I turned away from him and stared straight ahead.

He sighed loudly. "I fucked up, okay? I pissed you off, like I always do. But, Rachel..." he paused and slipped his hand behind my neck, turning my face toward his. "I don't want this to be over. You're my girl. You know that."

I recoiled from his touch, but my tone was even and flat. "Just get out."

He furrowed his brow and leaned in closer to me. "Rachel..."

I pressed him back with both hands and narrowed my gaze. "You can't just say I'm your girl. You actually have to act like it. You have to put me first. You have to talk to me...even when I make you mad. This shit between us doesn't just go away when I'm in town. We have to work at it. And that means you actually have to try."

He slid his arm around me and dropped his head to my shoulder. "I am trying. You're the one wanting to run away."

I could feel his breath on my neck. He curled his hand around the opposite shoulder while his other hand snaked around my waist. He pulled me close as his lips brushed my ear and I heard him whisper, "You gotta let me fix this, Rachel. I can't lose you."

I squeezed my eyes closed and tried to pull away. Everything I felt for him was begging me to forgive him. But my head and my heart said, oh hell no.

"Let me go, Paul. I can't do this right now."

Suddenly the driver's side door flung open and Embry leaned in. "She said let her go."

Paul raised his head slowly and sneered, "Stay out of this, Embry."

"Just leave her alone, Paul," Embry replied angrily. "She needs some space right now."

Paul leaned over me and shook his head. "You don't have a clue what she needs," he paused and gave Embry an evil grin. "And you never will."

I could see how badly Embry wanted to throttle Paul. I looked up at Embry and shook my head. Paul kissed my cheek and pushed the truck keys into my hand. With all the cockiness I had come to expect from Paul, he announced, "We can talk later. I know where to find you."

He slid out of the seat without another word as Embry watched him go. Embry motioned for me to slide over as Quil and Jacob climbed into the cab. "You okay?" Jacob muttered as he leaned forward.

"Yeah," I replied softly.

Embry pried the keys from my hand and started the truck. He slid his right arm around my shoulder and drove us home in silence.

~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡~

When I got to work later, my mind was all over the place. I couldn't stop thinking about my conversation with Paul. I guess it was more of a fight than a conversation, but still. I was so torn on how to deal with him.

About an hour before closing, Jared walked in with a girl and gave me a big smile when I saw him. "I'll be right there," I called as I grabbed some menus.

They took a booth by the door and I approached them. "Hey, Jared. What can I get you?"

I nodded my head as he excitedly introduced me to his date, her name was Brooke, and ordered them both a coke and some cheese fries. My attention drifted outside where I saw Leah and Paul arguing. I rolled my eyes and sighed. Jared gave me an empathetic smile and said, "Please take Paul back. I really can't stand Leah."

Before I could respond, Leah breezed by me and slid into the seat across from Jared. I felt Paul behind me, his fingers barely grazing my hip and his breath on my neck. He pulled my ponytail playfully and whispered into my ear, "How's the cheesecake tonight?"

I could feel myself blushing as I turned toward the sound of his voice. "Sorry...all out of cheesecake," I murmured.

He nibbled on his lower lip and nodded. "Sorry to hear that. You know it's my favorite."

"Can I get you something else?" I asked, trying to keep my breathing normal.

Paul looked me up and down slowly. I felt like he could see right through me. When he failed to answer, I tapped him on the shoulder with my pen and leaned in closer.

"Hello? You wanna order something?"

"I do," Leah replied scowling. "Turkey club and an iced tea."

I copied down her order and nodded. I raised my gaze slowly, meeting Paul's dark eyes with my own. "And you? What do you want, Paul?" My voice was husky and my tone was suggestive as hell. I couldn't help myself. I cocked my head to the side and nibbled the end of my pen. Paul couldn't take his eyes off of me and Leah looking like she wanted to kill me was just a bonus.

Paul swallowed thickly, his Adam's apple bobbing a few times as he did. I rolled my eyes at his nonresponse and turned to walk away. He grabbed my wrist and yanked me back to him and I slammed against him roughly. With our bodies pressed together, my arms curled protectively in front of me, and Jared snickering, Paul finally answered me.

"You know what I want. Bring it to me." There was no mistaking his tone. He wasn't talking about food. He wanted me.

I licked my lips and nodded. "Coming right up." My voice was shaky and he smirked at my response. Yeah, that's right, asshole. Two can play this game. I backed away slightly, but he still had a tight grip on my wrist. I glanced down at where he held me and raised my eyebrows. "Do you mind?"

"Come on, Paul," Jared scoffed. "Let her go."

Paul held both hands up and smiled at me. "Sorry."

I retreated from him as quickly as I possibly could. I placed their orders with the cook and filled the drink orders myself. I had my back to their table, but I could still feel Paul's eyes on me. I brought the Cokes to Jared and Brooke. When I placed the iced tea in front of Leah, I leaned over Paul ever so slightly. I shuddered when I felt his fingers behind my knee. I bolted back to the counter and scowled when I heard him chuckling. Asshole.

When their food was ready, I placed the orders down and gave Paul a cherry milkshake with extra whipped cream and three maraschino cherries on top. He looked at it and then up at me. "This is what you think I want?"

I put both hands on the table leaned forward, squeezing my breasts together slightly as I did. "This isn't what you want?" I watched Paul's gaze drift to my chest and I took away the view just as quickly as I gave it. I reached for the shake, wrapping my fingers around the frosted glass. "You don't want it?" I asked, tilting my head to the side. "I can take it back."

Paul covered my fingers with his and he smirked. "No, I want it. I'm in the mood for something sweet."

I pulled my hand back and watched him pull a cherry from the top, popping it into his mouth. He laughed and I had to look away from his mouth. I glanced at Jared, who was trying to bite back a smile. I scowled at him and I retreated once more.

When I returned to their table later to clear the plates, Jared shot Paul a look, causing me to glance between them. "What?"

Jared cleared his throat and shrugged. "We're going to the beach after this. There's bonfire. You should come."

"Jared!" Leah scowled. Jared jumped, it was obvious that Leah had kicked him under the table.

"I'm closing tonight. I can't go."

When I walked away, with their plates in my hands, I heard Leah sneer, "You heard Cinderella. She has to work...poor thing."

Jared told her to shut up and I felt a little better. But why wasn't Paul defending me?

I strolled back over to their table with my head held high, determined not to let Leah know she had gotten under my skin. I refused to make eye contact with her or Paul. "Ready for your check?" I smiled weakly at Jared.

Brooke and Jared slid out of the booth and Jared nodded to Paul. "This one's on Paul."

I totalled up the ticket and scrawled the total at the bottom. I put it on the table in front of Paul and said, "Whenever you're ready."

I turned away from him, but he stood and cupped my elbow with his hand. "Hold on," he replied.

Leah slid out of the booth, tossed us both a dirty look and stormed out. Paul just shook his head and laughed. I smirked in satisfaction. "Was it something I said?"

Paul dug in his back pocket for his wallet and produced some cash. "She doesn't like me very much right now."

I held my hand out for the money and shrugged. "Do you care?"

He pressed the cash into my hand and let his fingers linger on mine. He leaned in close to me, pressed his mouth to my ear, and whispered, "The only thing I care about...is you."

I shuddered when he dragged his lips to my cheek and kissed me gently. When he walked away, I glanced down at the money he gave me and furrowed my brow. "This is too much, Paul. I can't take this."

He swung around to face me with his back to the door. He gave me a wide smile and shrugged. "Keep it. You deserve it."

I smiled back at him and tucked a stray hair behind my ear. "Thank you."

Paul backed out the door and beamed at me. "Come to the bonfire, Rachel. Okay?"

"Maybe," I replied.

He wagged his eyebrows at me and pushed the door open with his butt. "I'll see you out there!" he called, not giving me a chance to respond.

I rolled my eyes and sighed. Paul Lahote was too damn cute for his own good.

......

A/N: isn't he though? Just too cute. Love the comments and votes are nice too. Thanks so much! Here's Alex Meraz's latest IG photo...he still looks sooo good!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

72.2K 2.4K 20
❝ 𝘪 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶, 𝘺𝘢 𝘥𝘰𝘳𝘬. ❞ ― 𝐢𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 . . . 𝚌𝚊𝚜𝚜𝚒𝚎 𝚜𝚠𝚊𝚗 𝚕𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚗𝚜 𝚝𝚘 𝚌𝚘𝚙𝚎 𝚠𝚒𝚝𝚑 𝚑𝚎𝚛 ...
153K 2.6K 23
All grown up, it's Renesmee's eighteenth birthday and Edward has asked Jacob to keep an eye on her as she goes out on her first date with her college...
64K 1K 21
Started: 7-12-2022 Finished: 10-20, 2022 Everyone knows who Jacob Black is right? Well if you don't, you have been living under a rock, everyone thin...
216K 6.4K 46
"How many times have I told you to stay away from Bella?" "Jacob why are you being difficult?" "I hate you leech just stay away from her. She'll be m...