A Cognate Thing-a sophitz sto...

By jaylee---

After spending a month away from one another Sophie and Fitz can't concentrate and need to figure out how muc... More

one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
twenty four
twenty five
twenty six
twenty seven
twenty eight
twenty nine
thirty
thirty one
thirty two
thirty three
thirty four
thirty five
thirty six
thirty seven
thirty eight
thirty nine
forty
forty one
forty two
forty three
forty four
forty five
forty six
forty seven
forty eight
forty nine
fifty
fifty one
fifty two
fifty three
fifty four
fifty five
fifty six
fifty seven
fifty eight
fifty nine
sixty

epilogue

4.8K 80 192
By jaylee---

"She is coming tonight, right Biana?" Fitz asked nervously as he paced the carpet in Biana's room.

"Yes Fitz, I made Sophie promise me she would not get distracted or bail." Biana replied rolling her eyes while putting away the last of her things she had brought home from Foxfire.

"She does think it is just girls slumber party to celebrate her graduation from Foxfire right?" Fitz's hands nervously knit together and then quickly were back on his sides.

"Yes, she thought it was weird since Marella, Lihn and I were with her this past year and basically spent every weekend of her last semester with her since she wasn't allowed to leave the tower, but she is coming." Biana paused,  "you talked to Grady, right?" 

"Yes, he was surprisingly calm during everything. He kept saying 'you're really sure about this? You haven't seen each other for almost 6 months.' I reassured him that we mind loop at least once a week, to which I had to remind him I wasn't physically in her room, just mentally there." Fitz head went back and forth mentally playing out his conversation with Grady.

"Do you think it will be weird to actually see her again?"

Fitz stopped pacing and grinned. "No, not see her, I can't wait to hold her hand again. Even without her enhancing it is still the most exhilarating feeling ever."

"Are you worried about being a bad match? I don't know if Sophie ever filled out her packet, after Keefe's party she never mentioned it."

"We talked about it and everything is all worked out." Fitz's grin grew even wider.

"What does that mean?" Biana puzzled.

"It means you don't need to worry about it, that it is not an issue." Fitz admonished.

Biana looked at her brother and smiled, she didn't know what he had pulled off or if it would matter since obviously Sophie and Fitz were compatible and trusted each other more than anyone else. She was just excited that tonight if everything went according to Fitz's plan Sophie would soon be her sister-in-law and that would mean lots of parties, which meant shopping for new party dresses.

"Well everyone should be here soon, why don't you go check with the Gnomes and make sure everything is set up for your big night. I need to make sure I have enough lovely locks and fabulous face for tonight. Sophie won't suspect anything when we give her a makeover!"

"Be nice to her, Biana. I love her just the way she is. She doesn't need all that to be beautiful." Fitz instructed making his way out of her room, he did need to go check with the Gnomes and make sure everything was ready for when Biana would send Sophie outside.

Fitz's eyes went all dreamy picturing Sophie and how she was the prettiest girl he had ever seen, she had an effortless quality and in the world of gems and sparkles, she didn't need any of that to outshine everything around her. He was still swimming in his memories of Sophie when he heard his dad call him into his office.

"You all set for tonight, son?" Alden's voice calmly inquired as Della smiled and added, "I always wanted Sophie to be part of the family officially."

"Yes dad, and mom this wouldn't have worked if you had ended up adopting her that's just wrong." Fitz said with a shiver.

"Well anyways we won't keep you but Grady and Edaline are joining us for a little celebration after we hail them with the good news so be sure to come back up to the house when you are done." Della exclaimed animatedly. A look trepidation crept across Fitz's face.

"It will all be ok, no reason to worry." Alden added as he turned to file his paperwork on his desk.

Fitz left the office and went outside to find Brynd the gnome who was helping arrange things for the night, it had to be perfect. Sophie was absolutely the perfect person for Fitz and he was so lucky he found her so early in his life. His dad had to wait over a hundred years to find Della and the more he thought about it a lot of elves never found anyone they wanted to spend forever with.

The hardest part of deciding to propose to Sophie had to be when he told Keefe. They had both moved into the Shores of Solace or as Keefe had renamed it "Paradise Party Palace" after their graduation from Foxfire the year before and despite some very heated arguments about how it is not ok to swap shampoo with curly-dew and harroids or to add Greenleaf elixir to food before an important meeting with the council things had gone pretty good. Keefe was even on friendly terms with his dad, who was much happier married to Lady Belva than he had ever been to Lady Gisella. Keefe was even painting and had been commissioned to create portraits for some very notable families. Surprisingly when Fitz told him the plan he joked and said, "I'm surprised you even made it to her graduation. I thought you two were going to run away together during our break between our silver and gold level." 

Fitz had contemplated it, numerous times, especially this past year and only getting to see Sophie during the midterm break, but he wanted to do it right and start their new life together in the most perfect way possible. He knew Sophie trusted him and that over the past two and a half years their connection had gotten even stronger, he just didn't know if she would think this was too quick or they were too young but he couldn't imagine waiting any longer to be able to start his life with Sophie by his side all the time. 

Fitz was outside near the lake when he saw flashes of light and the familiar capes from Linh, Marella and Sophie appear. He watched as they made their way up to the house, a rush of panic coursed through his body. What if Biana couldn't get Sophie outside to the dock?

When he had thought of all the places he could take Sophie to propose he kept coming back to their first date and how perfect it had been, rowing across the lake and the picnic on the beach. It was the perfect place to ask Sophie to marry him. Fitz sat nervously on the dock, Biana had promised she would get Sophie out to the dock quickly but it had been nearly an hour since Sophie had arrived. Suddenly a notification on his imparter let him know Sophie was finally on her way out.

"Fitz is that you?" 

He quickly jumped up and turned around to see Sophie. Biana had worked her magic again and Sophie looked absolutely amazing. Her hair was twisted into an updo that let her brown eyes shine. He knew Biana had put some makeup on her but it wasn't overdone and it really showed just how stunning Sophie's natural beauty was. It was the simple red dress that really blew Fitz away, the fabric twisted and pulled in all the right spots showing Sophie's petite shape but somehow making her seem taller and the subtle sparkle gave her a regal presence. She literally took his breath away just standing there and before he could even say anything she rushed towards him and threw her arms around him pulling him into the tightest hug.

"I've missed you so much." He heard her small voice say as she looked up at his face. Her familiar smile shined bright and he knew that she was so happy to see him.

"I've missed you too, I was going to take the boat out for a little bit. Will you come with me?" Fitz asked not taking his eyes off her smile.

Sophie's eyes darted up to the house and Fitz could see she was thinking about something.

"Biana sent me out here to find a blue spring blossom, Dex is teaching her some new beauty elixirs and she forgot to grab some, she said they were by the dock." Sophie's voice trailed off her brain was already trying to figure out what to do.

"I think Biana will be fine for a while, let me just transmit her quick telling her you are with me." Fitz said grabbing Sophie's hand to guide her to the boat. "Remember when we did this before and you thought it would tip over."

Sophie's free hand pulled up to cover her face as her cheeks turned pink. "Don't remind me, I was so worried and embarrassed."

"Well you know I would never let anything happen to you." 

Sophie nodded and sat down in the boat across from Fitz as he let go of her hand to untie the boat and put the oars in the water. Sophie watched Fitz and couldn't help but admire his shoulders had filled out more and his jaw seemed more defined. She didn't think he could ever get any more attractive but in the past 6 months he had and it made her heart flutter.

"Did you get the scroll from the council? I know they wanted you to get settled after graduation for a little bit before we started working as cognates for them but it sounds like they want us to check something out soon." Fitz casually asked. He could see their destination over Sophie's shoulder and was anticipating her reaction when they arrived.

"Yes, I wanted to talk to you about it and see if you knew more. It seemed kind of vague but with the council who knows what is really going on." 

"They didn't tell me much, my dad said they will let us know more about assignments as we get more experience. I'm just glad I get to work with you again. Solo telepathy assignments are boring." Fitz said giving Sophie a wink. With one hard row the boat hit the sandy shore line and nestled into the sand. Sophie turned to look not expecting the sudden change from water to land.

"Fitz, what is this?" Sophie asked stunned to see a pergola draped in a chiffon canopy with a candlit table for two set up underneath.

"Surprise!" Fitz said coyly. "I wanted to celebrate your graduation just the two of us. Biana agreed to help get you here."

The gold flecks in Sophie's eyes twinkled, "you mean she didn't need a blue spring blossom?"

"Nope, just a way to get you to the dock." Fitz explained as he helped Sophie out if the boat, guiding her towards the table.

"And her insisting on fixing my hair and makeup?"

"That was all Biana, I reminded her you were perfect without it." Fitz paused for a second, "she didn't make you wear the dress?"

"Nope that was Edaline. She said now that I have graduated I needed to start looking like a young lady of nobility." Sophie said rolling her eyes.

Fitz nodded knowing how much Sophie hated wearing dresses, and pulled out her chair to help her get comfortable. He lowered his head and quietly whispered in her ear, "it doesn't matter what you wear, you will always be the most beautiful girl to me."

Sophie felt the tingles run from her ear down her neck. Fitz was always a gentleman but tonight he seemed extra attentive. The conversation was easy as usual as they laughed over Keefe stories and Biana going boy crazy in the tower. In no time at all the sun had set and the moon was rising in the sky. A comfortable silence settled between them as Fitz played with Sophie's hand, both of them watching the stars begin to twinkle. Fitz took a deep breath and collected his thoughts.

"I remember the last time we were here, I felt like I wanted to stay up and talk with you all night but I knew I needed to get you home so Grady would let me see you again. Sophie, I love that when I found you in the museum you trusted me to show you where you really belonged and with all that we have gone through together you have been by my side. I want to know that no matter what happens or where life takes us that I never have to let you go at night. I know we have an eternity to grow old and have our ears turn pointy and I am hoping that you will want to spend it with me. Sophie you are my best friend, my cognate and the love of my life, I know we are young but will you be my wife and promise to be with me forever?" Fitz spoke so heartfelt and earnest Sophie didn't notice he had dropped to one knee and held out a blank pin that resembled a foundation for a family crest.

Sophie clearly shocked by the whole exchange simply pointed to the pin and asked, "what is that?"

"When elves decide to get married they have to decide which family name to keep, a blank Crest is traditionally offered as a way to show everyone a new Union is going to happen and everyone anticipates which name they will take." Fitz explained, nervous that she hadn't given him an answer.

"So you would give up being Fitz Vacker and become Fitz Foster for me?" Sophie asked her face not giving any hint of the emotions she was feeling.

"I would do anything for you, Soohie. It doesn't matter what my name is as long as you and I are together. So will you marry me?" Fitz asked again this time a little less confident.

"Oh Fitz, yes of course I will marry you!" Sophie exclaimed.

Fitz stood and pulled Sophie to her feet, his hands going to her face to pull her towards him, his lips finally touching hers and the intense connection between them felt more powerful than ever. As they pulled away from one another Sophie whispered, "Fitz did you feel that? Do you think it's because we are cognates?"

Fitz nodded and thought for a second. 

"Well I doubt my dad ever kissed Quinlan, but I am sure he can tell us if that is normal when you are in love as much as we are or if it is a cognate thing."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.9K 143 15
Random short stories between the characters of Keeper of the Lost Cities disclaimer!!! - all characters belong to Shannon Messenger #1 in #keeper 5/1...
253K 3.8K 45
Sophie Foster is walking through New York when she is accosted by two strange teens and a giant black dog seemingly possessing the abilities of a Sha...
114K 668 31
Sophie Foster has to face the facts- She's liked Fitz Vacker from the first moment she came to the Lost Cities. Now that she and her friends have rec...
123K 1.1K 25
♡︎Just some Sokeefe oneshots to keep you sane! ♡︎ The first few chapters are a little wonky, but it gets better, I promise! ♡︎ Votes, requests, and c...