four

Sophie and Fitz returned a short while later and Alden explained that they would be able to study together for the weekend and hopefully figure it out before heading back to school. Fitz escorted Sophie to the guest room reminding her that he was just down the hall if she needed anything and that she was welcome to reach out telepathically anytime.

Sophie got ready for bed and was laying in the same room she had slept in a couple times now, it was almost as comfortable as her own room. She quickly relaxed but her mind still raced and she could not bring herself to fall asleep. She decided to transmit.

“Fitz are you sleeping?”

Nope I am just laying here thinking about this past break and trying to figure out what my dad was talking about.”

Fitz had been thinking about their telepathy sessions that Sophie called summer school a lot lately. His crush on Sophie had grown so much, but he could never pick up on anything from her. They had met everyday to work on cognate training and general telepathy things. Sometimes they had lessons at Foxfire other times they would have a field trip and visit places all around the lost cities practicing the skills they were working on in the real world. Fitz’s favorite lessons were the secret sharing ones, that was when he felt the closest to Sophie and yet the most far away. She still hadn't told him her biggest secret and that was ok, for now. He knew it was hard for her and he wished he could take whatever it was from her so she wouldn't have to deal with it by herself. He wanted to be there for her and help her. That was one of the hardest parts of being in the tower, he couldn't be there to help her when she needed it most.

“Well whatever it is hopefully we figure it out this weekend, doing 5th level in half the time is so draining.”

“Well if anyone can do it, it's you Sophie. And then next year we will both be in the towers”

“Wow, I guess I didn't think about what would happen next year. What is it like living there?”

“It's not what I thought it would be like, there is a lot of studying and there are so many rules on formality. It is a lot to keep up with.”

The pair kept transmitting for the better part of the night not realizing how late it had gotten. It was only when the sun started to creep through the windows that they discovered it was almost morning and they should at least try to get a couple of hours sleep before tackling their homework.