Friends with the Enemy

By Another_chapter

(Completed) After his parents' tragic death, eight-year-old Dick Grayson was unfairly sent to a juvenile dete... More

1) Bullies + Broccoli = a Bad Day
2) Escape
3) The Iceberg Lounge
4) A Deal?
5) Cats
6) Break in
7) Stiches and suspicions
8) On the News
9) Call Me Selina
10) To the Rescue
11) Answer
12) Revenge
13) Goodbye?
14) Coloring and Sharing
15) New Home
16) Adjusting
17) Pinky Promise
18) Screaming at the Café
19) Secret Identity
20) Cat-and-Mouse
21) Arcade
22) First Day of School
23) Tears
24) Internal Struggles
25) Odd Squad Pt.1
26) Odd Squad Pt.2
27) Some Advice from Bird to Bird
28) Busted
29) Superman!
31) Memories
32) Lured
33) A New Approach
34) Training
35) Ur Mom
36) Birthday Party
37) Trust
38) Behind the Mysterious Clock
39) Finding Out the Truth
40) The Note
41) Not Who He Seems
42) Investigating
43) The Laughter Pt.1
44) The Laughter Pt.2
45) Subliminal Warnings
♡ 20k Special Pt.1 ♡
♡ 20k Special Pt.2 ♡
46) The Monster Behind the Man
47) Gang Trouble
48) The Hidden Riddles
49) Painful Decisions
50) Spying Around
51) Futile Struggle
52) Rescue Mission
Epilogue

30) Wandering

2.2K 103 162
By Another_chapter

Dick was currently looking for something interesting to read. Alfred had left to serve tea for them, so that left Dick alone in the large study. It was normal for the most part, he supposed. There was a fireplace, a couple of lounging chairs, and definitely plenty of books to choose from.

Dick continued searching for a book he'd like. Most of the stuff here seemed pretty old and boring, though.

There was a lot of random science-y stuff.

Boringgg!

Alexander Hamilton.

Um... Who?

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

Dick recognized the name Harry Potter from somewhere, but the book looked huge. He'll pass on that one..

Hamlet by William Shakespeare.

Ham? Yum.

Dick opened the book and scanned the lines just to get the gist of it. Within seconds of doing so, he slammed it shut. Was that actually English! Or did he just know less English than he thought? He didn't think thy was a word.. and they misspelled have with hath! Nope, nope, nope. He was not old fashioned enough for whatever that was.

Dick sighed as he picked out another book from the shelve.

Fifty Shades of Grey.

Woah, are there really that many shades of a single color? Ooh, maybe this book was about colors! Finally-! Something that interested him! He was getting desperate enough to read anything, really.

Dick was about to open the book when Alfred walked in with a teapot kettle and two cups. Dick put the book to the side and watched Alfred pour him a glass.

"Thank you." Dick said as the man handed him the drink.

"Be careful, its quite hot." Alfred warned. He sat down on the chair lounging chair across from Dick.

Dick thought he was exaggerating at first but when he brought the drink to his lips, he felt its scalding effect against his lips. "Hot, hot, hot." Dick confirmed aloud.

"Here, put it on the table." The man suggested and gestured to the coffee table between them. Dick eagerly complied.

Alfred held in a chuckle. "Are you alright, Master Dick?"

Dick was currently fanning his face- well, his lips particularly- with his hand. "I think I burned my lips and tongue!" He whined.

"I did warned you," Alfred stated. No one ever listens to the butler. "Would you some cold water or ice?"

"No, no thanks. It's getting better now. I think.." Dick added the last part with a groan.

"I'm sure you'll be fine, sir." Alfred assured. Before taking a sip of tea he asked, "What book have you got there?"

Dick shrugged. "Just a random book I guess. It's called Fifty Shades of Grey."'

Alfred nearly spat out his tea. He swallowed and rested his glass on the table. How long had Bruce had that book?!

"Ah.. I.. I would not recommend that book, Master Dick. I'm sure you'd prefer something.. more suitable for your age." Alfred tried to explain as he got up from his seat.

"I know it's a chapter book, Alfred, but I can handle it. There's nothing else good here!" Dick complained. Alfred couldn't possibly expect him to read one of his boring adult books. (No offense to him.)

"I'll help you find something that you'll like. Just, uh, put that book back, please." Alfred asked. Bruce was going to hear from him big time.

"Um.. okay?" Dick responded. Alfred was acting sorta weird, but whatever. He stood up and placed the book back where it belonged.

"Alright," the man sighed, part of it was from relief that Dick hadn't read the contents of the book he had in his hands moments ago, "the books here aren't exactly for kids, so there might not be much to enjoy. I'll be sure to ask Master Bruce to order children's books when he comes back from work. For now, let's see what we have..."

Alfred began searching through the shelves alphabetically while Dick gave the tea another shot. It wasn't nearly as hot anymore, thankfully. Dick thought it didn't taste bad but he it didn't exactly taste good. He heard that tea was supposed to be good for you, though, so just continued to sip on it.

As he did that, he observed the room. There was a large grandfather clock that caught his attention for some reason. Something about it seemed off, but he couldn't tell what. Dick walked up to it and eyed it suspiciously. He felt silly for doing so, though. After all, it was just some old clock.

"Master Dick, perhaps this interests you?" Alfred called out.

Dick turned away from the clock and met up with the butler again. In his hands was a book that was about historical monuments. Whatever that meant anyways.

"Um.." Dick didn't know what to say. He didn't want to be rude, but that looked so boring that he could fall asleep right there and then.

"I know, you don't have to say it. I thought that someone educational would do a little good since you aren't in school and you haven't started homeschooling here yet. I'm sorry that there isn't anything to your liking here for you. I should have thought about that before I invited you to read with me." Alfred muttered disappointedly.

"Don't apologize!" Dick exclaimed. "You were just trying to be nice! You're right, it would be good if I read a bit. It's not your fault all the books here are long and boring."

The eight-year-old's eyes widened after he blurted that. "Ack! Sorry I didn't mean-"

"Don't worry too much about it. Even I find a few of the books here dreary. Bruce has.. a unique preference in literature, I suppose." Alfred confessed.

"Oh.." Dick awkward muttered. "Well, I think I'll just not read anything. I should leave so I don't bother you."

Alfred put the book back where he got it from. "You're not bothering me at all, Master Dick. And since you're leaving, I might as well go back to tidying up the manor."

Alfred went to the kitchen to return the tea kettle and cups while Dick took of his cape and used it as a blanket as he lied on the couch, watching more news reports on Superman.

As fascinated as Superman was, even Dick could get bored of him after spending hours watching him flying around the city, saving people and kicking bad guy butt. He wanted to be doing something exciting himself. But last time he tried that, Alfred stopped him.

Dick got up from the sofa and turned off the TV. He needed to do something.

Dick began to explore the manor. He'd gotten a tour on his first day, but to be honest, he didn't really remember most of it. Dick had only stayed in the rooms he needed to be in.

There was really no point in this. He was just bored. He hoped that maybe he'd find a room with something interesting in it.

Oh, he did. How did he forget that there was a flipping gym in this place?!

There were weights- so many weights- a bunch of exercising machines he isn't know to names of, and even.. a punching bag? Wow, Dick knew Bruce was fit, but this seemed rather intense! It was almost even a little scary.

There was still plenty of space. Dick wondered if Bruce would mind getting something like.. a trapeze...

No, no. That'd be too much to ask for. Besides, whenever Dick mentioned the circus to people in the past, he'd always receive a negative reaction. He didn't want Bruce to do the same.

Well.. Bruce did ask if there way any way to make him feel more at home.. and he didn't seem like one of those mean people who laughed at him.

Dick would think about it. If the right moment came to ask, then he'd do it.

Until then, he wanted to work off his energy. So he looked for something he could use that didn't seem dangerous, and he found a jump rope. He spent a few minutes jumping around, but that quickly got boring. Then he caught a glimpse of those gym balls and sat on it and bounced a bit. He even gathered enough courage to try out the treadmill, but the moment he heard the machine roar to life, he jumped off it and clicked random buttons to turn it off.

All in all, Dick didn't do much. He continued searching the house aimlessly. It was strangle eerie. The long, quiet hallways almost seemed to never end. The silence was deafening. Was he going to spend everyday like this? The circus might have been small, but at least there he was never lonely.

A shutter ran through Dick's body as he spied the pool through a glass door. He had never learned how to swim, although he remembered his father had wanted him to try to learn one day. He never got the chance..

Man, he really needed to stop longing for the past and just deal with the present.

The rest of his journey through the manor was uneventful, and felt like a waste of time. At least he knew the place a little better, and it wasn't like he had anything else to do.

Dick went back to his room and glanced at his backpack. Would it be so bad to give school another shot? He really did enjoy learning.. but it would be hard to concentrate when all he could think about was his classmates- maybe even his teacher- pretending to be his friend when they probably wanted nothing to do with him.

Dick heard a small vibration sound on his nightstand. It was his phone, he was getting a call. Dick picked it up and looked at the name. Bruce.

"Hello?" Dick said after he answered the call. Why was he calling him? Wasn't he busy at work?

"Hey, kiddo. Whats have you been up to?" Bruce replied in a friendly manner.

"Not much.." Dick told truthfully. "How about you?"

"I'm.. on my lunch break and I decided to check up on you," the billionaire made up, "after all, I didn't get to say, 'hi' to you today."

"Oh.." Dick uttered. "Thanks."

The call remained in awkward silence for longer than Dick liked. This was his chance to ask Bruce about the trapeze..! Do it, Dick! He urged himself.

No, he's at work! You think he really wants to hear about more things he has to worry about?! The hesitant part of him retorted.

First of all, he's on his lunch break. Second of all, he's rich! It's not gonna worry him! The confident side of him explained.

"Um, hey, Bruce.." Dick started.

"Yes?" Bruce replied through the call.

"...Can I.. uh... can I get some books?" Dick stammered. Darn it, Dick!

"What do you mean? I mean, of course you can, but why the sudden interest?" Bruce questioned.

Dick shrugged although Bruce couldn't see it. "I was in the study with Alfred and we wanted to read together but there wasn't nothing for kids. Alfred thinks it's a good idea for me to read since I haven't been in school."

"Ah, right." Bruce said. "Then I'll be sure to order a load of books for your age level."

Dick felt bad. He didn't want Bruce to have to worry about his education along with all the work he does. "Um, Bruce? Do you think I should go back to school?"

Bruce didn't reply immediately. "It's always your choice. Are you thinking about going back?"

"Yeah.. maybe.." Dick said quietly. "I kinda wanted to, but then I remember my classmates.." He knew that he shouldn't care what they think about him, but he did. He couldn't help it. They probably couldn't care less about what happened to him. No- worse, what if they did care.. because they didn't like him!? Because now they had to worry about upsetting Bruce!?

"Dick, listen to me. You're classmates, they only treated you differently because they were scared. Scared that if they said the wrong thing, then you'd react in a bad way. That doesn't mean you give off that impression, but it's just the way it is. It was your first day, they know nothing about you. That's why they don't know what a great person you are. Yet. It doesn't excuse their behavior, but it explains it. Talk to them, tell them how you feel and who you really are." Bruce advised.

Realization hit Dick like a truck. Of course, they were just scared! But Dick also felt confused. Oswald made it sound like his classmates did it on purpose. Maybe he got confused from his own personal experiences in school..?

"That.. makes a lot of sense." Hope filled Dick's heart. He had a chance to prove himself, to show his new possible friends that he wasn't a bad person and that he wasn't scary! "Thanks, Bruce! I think I actually want to give school another try."

Bruce smiled on the other end. "That's great. I'll still be ordering those books, though. So that you can read anytime you want."

It felt like someone was squeezing at his heart. Oh gosh, Bruce was so nice!

"Is there anything else you'd like to talk to me about before I hang up?" Bruce offered.

Trapeze. Trapeze. Trapeze. Trapeze. Trapeze. Trapeze. Trapeze!

"No thanks." Dick said casually. Really?!

"Alright then. Hopefully I'll see you when I come back from work. But there's a chance I'll probably be back late." Bruce informed.

"Okay, I understand." Dick said. "Bye..."

"Bye, Dick." Bruce replied before hanging up.

You could have asked! You had the perfect chance! Dick scolded himself. It was okay though, he wouldn't die without flying ever again. It would suck, sure, but he could live without it.

Didn't Selina say she would teach me confidence? Dick internally whined.

He redirected his attention to his backpack that still lied on the floor. Dick bent down and picked it up. Now, maybe it was about time he finish that math homework..

Soooooo
I was doing a lil' doodle of Dick

And got some inspiration to do a drawing of Ivy, Dick, and Selina.

Ivy is supposed to be pinching Dick's cheek, but I can't draw hands, oof. Also, I didn't know if I wanted to give her the tights for the drawing, but I decided not to.

Anyways, I liked how it turned out, and wanted to color it, but I also was afraid to ruin it so.. I.. colored it through the sketch app..

And.. erm... I don't draw digitally that often (I literally only use the sketchbook app)... and....

I might have ruined it lol. (Good thing I didn't do it on the original!) I started from left to right, which is why it goes from worse to slightly better (since I got more of an understanding of how to color it).

Welp.. here it goes..

Brace your eyes...

DONT ZOOM IN ON IVY'S FACE IF YOU DONT WANT TO BE TRAUMATIZED FOR LIFE. Actually, just DONT look at Ivy AT ALL!

IT LOOKS SO DIFFERENT AFSKSKJAJF

They were supposed to be on a bench but I just drew...a box.
Yes, I'm lazy, I know.

Don't even ask why the vines around Ivy look like that..
(Psst, it bc im *cough* LAZY and *cough* don't know what I'm doing)
Her face got so messed up XD It's actually pretty funny. Wish I didn't make her lips red tho.. man, Ivy in general could've turned out so much better..

Meanwhile, I'm sorta proud with how Selina turned out. Dick too, I guess.

I've never shared fanart on Wattpad before so I'm a little shy, but who doesn't love fanart, amirite?

Anyways, I'm going to post two chapters next week, because I feel like this chapter was uneventful so yeah. I don't like the thought of leaving you guys with this chapter for too long (also, I'm really excited to get to what's coming soon..)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.2K 732 16
Jason has been watching over his brother for years. After saving him from there parents cruelty, Jason is alone with his parents...until Batman take...
261K 12.2K 50
Dick Grayson, Ward of batman, is what the young justice describe: strong and cunning. He may crack jokes and have a bad child hood, but he has always...
35.1K 924 18
After the death of Dick's parents, Dick decides to live a life of crime. He has been on Batman's radar for quite a while, and still he couldn't catch...
25.6K 761 8
~COMPLETED~ The Justice League has formed as usual along with the Young Justice team the only difference? No one knows that the Bat and his many prot...