[ShikaTema] Serendipity

By Blanchefleur

Most could see them as business partners, that nothing would spark between them. Some see them as normal peop... More

Chapter 1: In the Headquarters
Chapter 2: Overthinking
Chapter 3: Tsunade and Shizune
Chapter 4: Naruto's Doubts
Chapter 5: Both Sides
Chapter 6: Family
Chapter 7: Second Day
Chapter 8: Closer You and I
Chapter 9: The Bridge Leading to Suna
Chapter 10: Sakura's Suspicions
Chapter 11: Uneasiness
Chapter 12: Truth
Chapter 13: Gaara's Revenge
Chapter 14: Casually
Chapter 15: Conducting Plans
Chapter 16: Unofficially Official
Chapter 17: Mistaken
Chapter 18: Maito Gai and Rock Lee
A/N: Break
Chapter 19: Chouji's Expectations
Chapter 20: Gaara's Solution
Chapter 21: Threat
Chapter 22: Paperworks
Chapter 23: Contemplate
Chapter 24: Return
Chapter 25: Taking Down
Chapter 26: The Awaited Battle
Chapter 27: The Trio
Chapter 28: The Fall
Chapter 29: A Different Way
Chapter 30: Finale
Closing Note
Extra Chapter: Serendipity
[One-Shot] Kankuro and Gaara's Concern
[One-Shot] Business
[One-Shot] Love Technique
[One-Shot] Moving
[One-Shot] Educating Self

Prologue: Sand Siblings

14.2K 235 91
By Blanchefleur

It's true, that Sasuke person looks quite attractive and strong.

Pink tints ran across her face. "Me?" She said, pointing at herself. Sasuke did ask the name of the person he had taken an interest into, which she thought it was her, but was quickly dumped by the youngest of Uchiha. "Not you, him with the red hair," he cleared.

The said red-haired male, who to be called Gaara of the Desert, glanced at the other male. His voice was rather intimidating he had to look at him quick, yet the youngest of the Sand Siblings maintained his cool, his green hues still at the other. "...Gaara of the Sand," the slim one cleared. The three didn't wait for him to reply, thus made their ways to the Chuunin Exams.

Oh, so guys interest him more, huh. Pretty interesting I should say.

"Next match: Shikamaru Nara and Temari of the Sand!" Genma announced.

With such calm mind and composure, the two landed on the ground, immediately facing each other. Let's finish this quick. The male with a black-coloured hair tied upwards kept complaining that this match was 'troublesome'. It pisses her off to the extent that she started analysing what he could actually do. This non-stop statement of 'how troublesome' or 'what a drag', only that it interchanges from that one statement to another, was probably his way to get her attention off from concentration.

And so, she didn't let her guard down.

If I can maintain a distance from him, his shadows wouldn't be able to reach me. She smirked. Of course. Up above her was a jacket with a Kunai attached to it. It appeared to be like a small parachute; the difference was the one serving as the parachute of the kunai was the jacket of her opponent. This is bad! If that jacket points below me, that kunai will fall and his shadow will be able to reach me! I have to dodge!

Smart enough, her enemy had gotten a hold of her with the use of his shadow.

"What?!"

"Look behind you," the little boy said with assurance that he was smarter than her.

She did follow him. To her surprise, she found out with her own eyes that the shadow had traveled under the hole Naruto created, who would be one of the representatives of the match before them. The rather smarter one began moving forward. Against the female's will, she did too, she's under the shadow of the other. The male raised his right hand.

"I give up."

The line surprised everyone watching the match, and eventually got disappointed. There were series of 'boo' from the people, but he didn't care. He wasn't so much known, so first, the watchers didn't care about what he could do. He got them fired up and see how the match would turn, but now, he had given up.

"What are you sayi-"

"I used too much Chakra calculating your distance. I'm too tired, I give up."

"What?!" Kankuro, the female's younger brother, stated. "But I had to admit he was pretty good to make Temari think while she's in the field."

---

I'm getting pissed off. What's with that guy? What was his name again, Shikamaru Nara? She furrowed her brows in determination. I'm gonna get his ass to have a rematch with me. Winning that easily, especially that he had given up, is the one I couldn't take! I mean, I could do better!

"...mari, Temari!" Called Kankuro, getting annoyed now.

The female shuddered in surprise. Kankuro's voice never raised at her like that, today would be the first time.

"Are you still thinking about your victory against that Nara? Come on, it's been a couple of weeks. You've been thinking about that Nara too much," he explained. "I know it's hard for you to accept that, but instead of thinking of a rematch, why don't you just thank that guy? He made you enter the next challenge easier than you expected."

"That's the problem, Kankuro," she replied, still pissed off. "I don't want to win something that I only get that easily. You know I want to win by hard work," explained the blonde.

"Yeah, I know that but-"

Gaara got inside the room and had enough of hearing about Shikamaru. "...I heard Sasuke left his village. The five boys, and a dog, are after them. But the shinobi of Otogakure, the Sound Four, are blocking their way, thus them being unable to retrieve Sasuke. As allies of Konohagakure, we have to go there and save them," he said, hues glancing at Temari and then handling over the scroll given by the current Hokage of the allied village.

The female couldn't help but shudder at Gaara's rather cold stare. She was scared of him, so as Kankuro, and they kept their distance from him, even thinking of what to say first just to not piss him off. He could kill anyone.

"Shikamaru Nara is there, currently fighting against one of the Sound Four, who goes with the name 'Tayuya'. Let's go after them," ordered Gaara, which was followed by the two in an instant. He emphasised the name of the leader of the group because he knew Temari wishes a rematch. "This is also our way of repaying them."

---

"I'm pretty sure Neji can handle that spidey person," Kankuro said while hopping on the tree branches together with his siblings. Not from aloof, he had seen Kiba being played around by a two-headed enemy. He didn't look like he was a dragon or some other entity of some sort, but he knew it was also a shinobi of Otogakure.

"Don't let your guard down," told Gaara to the two.

They simply nodded and attended to their respective posts.

I'm gonna make it on time!

Shikamaru was gradually losing the amount of his chakra, and was in the limit of using it. His shadow, which was stopping Tayuya from pushing the sharp tip of the kunai in his stomach, had pulled back since Shikamaru couldn't hold on any longer. As soon as Tayuya raised her hand and ready to hit the lad, she was thrown away by a strong wind blowing from the direction in front of them.

The enemy had managed to grapple into one of the thick branches of the tree. "Who are you?!" She asked using the most impolite form of question as she could to someone she hadn't met before.

Standing firm, right hand was holding her giant folding fan while the left was arched on her waist, a smirk as if she had already won the battle was on her face. "Allies of Konoha, the ninjas of the Sand."

"I did hear that traitorous Sand reestablished an alliance with Konoha, but I didn't think you guys would be so quick to help us just like that," said the male as his greeting.

Without turning to him, she replied, "We didn't invade Konoha because we wanted to. It was an order," she cleared. Now, turning to him, the female maintained a cool, tough composure in front of him. "It is also why I am here."

I see. So the Fifth asked the Sand. We're saved. He thought.

"By the way," she began again. "Has that clever brain of yours gone bad?" Shikamaru was taken aback; Temari smirked. "Are you gonna give up again? This time, I'll take her on."

"Sorry, but I can't give up here. There's no way a man can be protected by a woman."

The female scoffed. "You're always going on about that man and woman crap. You act strong," she began walking forward, closer to Tayuya, at least. "...but your empty bravado is so obvious, idiot."

"You are now siding with Konoha?" Asked Tayuya. "How busy you are," and then used her flute to create a genjutsu.

"Dai kamaitachi no jutsu!" The technique was executed right after she swung her giant folding fan. Her attack broke Tayuya's flute, as well as the trees around the forest.

She's able to deflect the sound of the flute and cause physical damage to the enemy. Attacking and defending in one move. Unlike me, she has some good techniques. Thought Shikamaru.

After the attack had subsided, Shikamaru commented again. "She's hidden herself," the male looked around, hoping to find her soon.

"Did she run?"

"No. That's impossible."

The blonde looked at him, but not fully. "I just arrived. Briefly explain to me the current situation with the analysis you've done on her abilities and her attack style."

"First, her primary tactic is to use the sound from the flute to draw the enemy into her illusion, then inflict physical damage while the under the illusion. She's the typical long distance, illusion technique-using type. Most likely, as soon as she saw your technique, she realised right away that her own techniques wouldn't work well against yours. Besides, it's two versus one. Until she draws us in her illusion, she won't show herself again," Shikamaru held his broken finger; he broke his finger to get out of Tayuya's genjutsu. "If I am the judge, we are completely in an unfavourable situation here."

Fighting this kind of enemy requires someone who can sense their surroundings. Like Kiba or Neji. "At this rate, sooner or later, we will be cornered. We should fall back and-"

"Who asked for your opinion? I just asked you to explain the situation. Don't," started Temari, biting her thumb. "...underestimate my power," then opened her fan. "With me upfront, if she thinks she can feel safe just by hiding at a distance where she can still reach us using her flute," then placed the blood from her thumb on her opened fan. "...she's too naive!"

"Kuchiyose, kirikiri mai!" Once swift swing of her fan, Kamatari was summoned. The trees within the range of her attack had been sliced into half, causing them to fall onto Tayuya, which caused her immediate death and was unable to use her genjutsu when she had finally fixed her flute. "What do you think?" She asked Shikamaru, closing her fan and making it stand beside her. "It's over."

How forceful. She's scarier than my mom.

Temari glanced at him, flashing a grin. "How about it?"

But it looks like I have to thank her this time.

---

The Sand Siblings, together with Shikamaru, was standing outside the huge gates of Konohagakure. "Thanks for helping us," he said as his farewell to the three of them.

As they hoped he and his friends would recover soon, the three turned away from the other. Kankuro and Gaara went ahead, Temari stopping on her tracks. She turned to Shikamaru, shifting herself to the side a bit to see him, she said, "We'll come save you when you need us. Ask us when you do, Mr. Crybaby."

Shikamaru smirked, and was actually glad to have them--her--here. "That's one word too many. That's why girls are...," he left it hanging at that, as he smiled back to Temari who was chuckling over his little complain.

---

The news shinobi of Konoha had received immediately had sent them the same thought: to repay the shinobi of Suna when they saved them from the Sound Four. Kiba, Chouji, Naruto, Ino, Rock Lee and their leader, Shikamaru had accepted the mission given by Tsunade. He brought Sakura, Neji, Hinata and Shino with them. The four went ahead, Sakura walking to a separate way. Neji, Hinata and Shino helped by gathering information then sending them back to the other six with the use of Shino's insects.

Shikamaru and his company hurried to the place mentioned by the Hokage.

Somehow, the leader of the grouped reminisced that one moment Temari saved him from being killed by Tayuya. Those little banters they had towards each other had made him form a smirk on his lips, thus his eagerness to save her as soon as possible.

They made into a full stop, with Naruto complaining about hurrying up because they needed not to waste more time. Shikamaru was backed up by Kiba and Ino, saying that Shikamaru definitely has a plan in mind, and that Naruto needed to shut his mouth up for once, Akamaru agreeing with his friend.

After receiving the news from Shino that three battles had already started, Shikamaru spread the group into three by pairs. Kiba and Chouji will go aid Kankuro, Rock Lee and Naruto to Gaara, Shikamaru and Ino to Temari. Wait for me, Temari. I'm coming!

Temari was thrown on the tree rather harshly by Kujaku's Wind Counter after she executed her Dragon's Hard Labor. Since the attack was strong, and Kujaku's double sword amplifies attacks, it hurt Temari so much more than its default damage.

"Well, well, well, are you sleeping?" Asked Kujaku, her tone lowering. "Then stay asleep...forever!" She released another slash from her sword, ready to hit Temari directly and kill her. But Shikamaru and Ino arrived in the nick of time. He used his shadow imitation technique to roll Temari over and avoid Kujaku's attack.

Soon, the female regained her consciousness, her head glancing behind in an instant. She had the slightest idea who that was, and she wasn't wrong. "That was close," started the male. "But the shadow imitation technique is a success."

Instead of thanking the latter for saving her, she clicked her tongue after standing up. "I didn't expect Konoha reinforcements to be you," she turned to him, his shadow imitation's still being used, now trying to reach Kujaku.

"A man can't stay in debt to a woman."

"You're still troublesome as always, babbling about men and women crap," replied the female, a smile on her lips. Shifting the issue, she continued. "Gaara and Kankuro are going after who have abducted the village girl. I'm fine, please go help them."

"We have received information. Both Gaara and Kankuro have already started fighting."

"I see," replied Kujaku as she overheard the conversation between the two.

Damn. My shadow won't reach. "Konoha teams are on their way to back them up."

"You've prepared well."

"It's troublesome. But since I'm doing this, I'm going to do it properly."

"At least try not to cry in front of me like before."

"You keep bringing up the past," said Shikamaru in annoyance. "This is why women are..."

Temari scoffed.

Shikamaru decided that they'd go all together towards Kujaku since she's dependent on the sword. But no matter what they do, she just kept distancing herself off from Temari, Shikamaru and Ino. They have tried several times to get near to her, but Kujaku just kept releasing two strikes from her sword to blow the two mid-range types away from her, and shield herself before Temari could even release an attack.

The leader looked around to see if he had something around that could extend his shadow.

The large waterfall resting beside where Kujaku was standing.

He came close towards Temari and whispered something.

The blonde gasped in surprise. "What are you up to?" Her tone was a bit worried.

"I'll explain later," replied Shikamaru. "Can you do it or not?"

"I'll give it a try."

Yet when they were in the middle of making their plan happen, Kujaku stepped back and hit her two swords downwards. Soon, it created a water barrier, just as the enemies had planned. They have stricken Gaara, who was standing on his sand-made ladder. The water barrier had hit Gaara, causing him to fall. Temari and Kankuro were able to see him fall, but Shikamaru told to Temari to relax and focus on the enemy in front of them since Naruto and Gaara were on their way to help the red-haired male out.

Temari let out her Great Cutting Whirlwind and fired it towards the enemy, but it went to a different direction.

"Where are you aiming that thing? It completely went to a different di-" her words were halted, she couldn't move. "W-What's the meaning of this? I knew your distance!"

"I'll show you," said Shikamaru, turning to the large waterfall on Kujaku's left side. "Even if it's a water, if the flow is large enough, there will be a shadow. By bringing the waterfall up, my distance increased dramatically. Shadow imitation technique: successful."

It was Temari's turn. She bit her thumb so it would release blood, then ran in on her giant folding fan. "Summoning technique: Quick Beheading Dance!" Which summoned Kamatari, killing Kujaku in an instant. She turned to Shikamaru, releasing a grin after saying, "One down," together with a small chuckle.

Shikamaru looked at her with a smile on his lips. It's a relief.

Shino's insects had delivered a message saying Gaara's going for the last person left and they hurried to him too.

While they were on their way, Temari called Shikamaru's attention. "Hey, Shikamaru!"

Getting his attention in no time, Shikamaru fell back on branch so he and Temari would be running in the same pace. "What is it?"

"You know that there's a fearsome power sleeping within Gaara, right?"

"Yeah, somewhat."

"If Gaara continues to have his chakra drained and loses himself, it will be horrible! The Shukaku which was suppressed will get out of control. When it goes out of control, it will be the end. There is no way to stop Gaara."

"Seriously?" Was the only thing Shikamaru replied, but he definitely had scenarios in mind as how they could stop him from transforming into Shukaku.

As they have arrived, Shikamaru had seen Shukaku with his own eyes. "Hey, could that be...?"

"Yeah. He started transforming into Shukaku."

Gaara fought Shukaku's power. He wanted to fight in his own will without the help of the entity living inside him. Slowly, he turned back to his own self, the other members were surprised of what he could do. There's no way Gaara would let himself be manipulated by Shukaku again. Gaara used the stones around him to make them into sand and drowned Seimei under, but he was able to release himself.

While Seimei was too busy absorbing all of Gaara's chakra, he used this time to form the sand into a Spear of Shukaku and hit the armor doing all the work. Unfortunately, it went over and hit Seimei straight in his stomach. The sand pulled him down, Gaara releasing his Imperial Desert Funeral.

---

As the three reached the bridge leading back to Suna, Kankuro broke the silence. "Temari," he started, not giving his big sister a glance. "Before we rescued them, you seemed to be too pissed off of what that Nara did to you, and now you're acting weird."

"...," confused, Temari asked him. "...What do you mean?"

"You are acting weird, seriously. You disliked him before, and now you smile at him and act all soft. Are you okay? Did you eat something unnecessary? Or probably you are under a genjutsu or something?"

She sighed. "Kankuro, I'm not too stupid to fall for a lowly genjutsu," cleared the lass. "And isn't it normal to be nice to the person who gave up his title for you to get in the exams?"

"No. Because you disliked him before we rescued them."

"Is there something we need to know?" Asked Gaara. Normally, he wouldn't stick his nose into other people's businesses, but it would seem this issue about Temari and Shikamaru had gotten him too curious.

"There's none," she said rather sternly.

---

Years had passed and all of them had grown into fine men and women.

People of Suna were afraid of the newly assigned Kazekage because of the rumour that he could kill anyone. Even so, they tried to welcome him so he wouldn't feel a bit out-of-place. Besides, the fear they were feeling were enough to present themselves in front of the Kazekage, Gaara, so he wouldn't kill them. Though that reason would be too low for the young one to even bother lifting his sands at them.

"Temari, I assign you to be the Ambassador of Suna to Konoha. Your job is to make sure our allies are doing well, their health and safety come first. You are knowledgable enough of what comes after you in the middle of the forest, three days of walking, and I know you are aware of that. Be careful. No one knows what awaits you there," the red-haired male looked at Kankuro. "You will stay here and make sure our people are fine. I will do the respective paper works and attend meetings that I have to attend. You will be with me in meetings, too."

"Yeah, sure," agreed Kankuro.

Temari nodded. "I will start my mission now, Gaara, Kankuro. Take care of Suna."

Gaara nodded.

Their big sister headed to their home to change her clothes. She grabbed her black yukata and red waist cloth. The female tied the red cloth around her waist as tight as she could, revealing her rather grown chest. She fixed her long slit, her hair still tied in four ponytails, the badge of her village was tied around her forehead, her huge fan was on her back. Fish net thighs which only covered her lower right leg was also worn.

Before going off, she checked herself in front of the mirror. Good.

A sigh escaped her lips. I have to look representable. Being the Ambassador of Suna to Konoha is also representing the village I am from. She opened the door outside, showing her how alluring Suna actually was.

"Temari-san!" Called Matsuri, who was just roaming around the village. "You seem ready for something. Are you going somewhere?" Gaara's apprentice asked.

"Yeah," she quickly replied. "To Konoha. Gaara assigned me to be the Ambassador to Konoha and my job starts now. If something happens, deliver a letter or ask a shinobi to come after me. I am around Konoha, okay?"

The girl nodded. "I understand, Temari-san! Be careful on your journey!"

Temari didn't reply. Instead, began walking ahead to the direction where the bridge leading to the other village was located.

"By the way, Temari-san," Matsuri called her again. "You're going to Konoha, right? Are you going to see-"

"I will not!"

Matsuri chuckled at Temari's quick reply. Despite her tough demeanour, she still has some spot where she could be read that easily. Temari is a woman, after all.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.4K 62 10
Naruto has been ridiculed and shamed. His heart was torn into shreds as he never felt more useless in his life. Moreover, this caused him to drop th...
772 3 10
they met, became friends, broke it. then again, -"you can still fix a broken glass with glue, can't you? it will just look a bit different then befo...
Belong By Timothy

Fanfiction

14.6K 284 28
Love is tested in this drama/romance story. Still trying to come to terms with her past, Temari finds herself yet again in a relationship, only this...
71.6K 2.3K 28
Naruto and Sasuke were the only ones left. Every one of their people had been killed by the goddess. The people who fought the war by their side, all...