Marriage to the Royal Prince'...

By CeritanyaNyai

Li Yunzhu is a well-known beauty within the elite circle, but she is also known for her arrogance and promisc... More

C1. Childhood Sweethearts.
C2. It's Not Good To Bully Others.
C3. Return To Beijing.
C4. I Just Want To Marry Yunzhu!
C5. Healing After Heartbreak: Moving Beyond Regret.
C6. Yunzhu's Double Take.
C7. Head Of The Family.
C8. When Perfect Comes with an Age Gap Enigma.
C9. Don't Worry, I Come With Antique Charm.
C10. Play Hard To Get.
C11. Just Waiting For The Old Man To Take The Bait.
C12. Presence Seals Your Fate.
C13. Clarifying Responsibilities.
C14. A Proposal: Cao Xun Seeks Yunzhu's Hand.
C15. Lingering Guilt.
C16. Imperial Edict: Duke Dingguo's Marriage Fate.
C17. Joy and Sorrow; Two Sides of the Coin.
C18. Betrothal Gift, Welcoming the Marriage.
C19. The Invitation Beyond the Veil.
C20. Starving Yunzhu Seeks Breakfast.
C21. Togetherness: Where Weird is Wonderful.
C22. The Duke's Heir Breaks Cao Xun's Scabbard.
C23. I'm Sleepy, Carry Me Back To Qiyun Hall.
C24. Me, Myself & You (Stuff).
C25. Yunzhu's Temperament: A Delicate Tightrope.
C26. Where Age Finds Laughter in Youth's Light.
C27. I Won't Marry Him!
C28. Youth's Open Door: Seize the Moment.
C29. Just a Hug For You.
C30. After Dawn.
C31. Castration Before Beheading.
C32. Find Your Bloom: Life Lived To Its Fullest.
C33. Why Are You Angry At Me?
C34. "As Soon As I Sober up, I Will Apologize."
C35. I've Never Been Afraid.
C36. Self-Driven Will; Freedom to Choose.
C37. Cao Xun Meets The Sharp Gaze of the Madam.
C38. Stepping Outside, To The Woodlands.
C39. Can Anger Become My Ally?
C40. Five Hearts, One Meng, Four Li.
C41. Li Yao's Love Story.
C42. The Unexpected Blush.
C43. Edge of Doubt; Blade or Grindstone?
C44. My Word Stands: You Will Be Safe.
C45. Age Is Irrelevant: Men Will Fall For You.
C46. A Toast to Moderation.
C47. A Loved One.
C48. New Year's Money.
C49. Li Yao Embarks on Married Life.
C50. Bridge Too Far.
C51. May the 7th: End of Emperor Yuan Qing's Reign
C52. From Heir to Emperor: Qianxing's Rise.
C53. Balancing Two Hearts.
C54. Brushstrokes and Desire.
C55. Me-morphosis?
C56. Can You Confirm Everything Is Ok?
C57. Beyond the Bin: Choosing the Right Bodyguard.
C58. When Empires Crumble Within.
C59. Rain-Kissed Bliss.
C60. Where Happiness Soars, The Sky Beckons.
C61. A Chariot for My Aunt.
C62. There's A Skill In Handling A Wife Or Husband,
C63. "Out of Sight, Out of Mind".
C64. Calming the Storm, Peace Offering.
C65. Lessons Learned, A Sincere Regret.
C66. I Didn't Ask Him To Please Me.
C67. "I am willing to be manipulated by you."
C68. Unwavering Dedication: A Life for Yunzhu.
C69. Holding Until Dawn.
C70. Brothers in Arms: Li & Xian Retake The Throne
C71. The Longing in Her Smile.
C72. The Extraordinary Aunt.
C73. Will Power's Glimmer Dim Cao Xun's Light?
C74. Shifting Perspectives: What Time Unveils.
C75. Blooming into Adulthood at Twenty.
C76. "Uncle, Why Don't You Go Fight Them?"
C77. Yunzhu, Trust Me And Wait for Me.
C78. Assassination: Urgent Message for Cao Xun.
C79. The Last Breath of the Little Emperor.
C80. Lie With Me For a While.
C81. I Care About You.
C82. When Patience Thins with Age.
C83. The Art of Gentle Influence.
C84. The Arrival of a New Ruler.
C85. Thank You.
C87. A Nocturne in Raindrops.
C88. Is Truth Only Valid When Doubted?
C89. A Gentle Knight's Pledge.
C90. Jujube.
C91. Beyond Chills.
C92. Get Well Soon!
C93. Can Stand Up To Three Or Four Young Men.
C94. As Long As I Can Make You Like Me.
C95. Love Blooms: Yunzhu Breathes Life to Cao Xun.
C96. Is This Your Determination?
C97. Unfaltering Devotion: His Love, Her Anchor.
C98. One Month Old Celebration.
C99. "Who Makes You Older?"
C100. He Has A Real Home In The Capital.
C101. Love Letter From Cao Xun.
C102. Dual Duties: Defending Abroad.
C103. The Joy of Reconnection.
C104. I Will Be At Your Beck And Call For The Rest.

C86. Forgiveness Offered, Healing Sought.

188 2 0
By CeritanyaNyai

Chapter 86

On a scorching summer day, as Cao Xun returned home from his duties, the relentless sun continued to cast its sultry glow across the yard, discouraging any ventures outdoors.

Within the confines of the room, an ice basin provided some respite from the heat, and Yunzhu reclined luxuriously on the couch, engrossed in a storybook.

This intriguing tale, presented to her as a gift by Sun Yurong during her recent stay at the Xu residence, was captivating, if somewhat risqué. Despite its questionable content, Yunzhu had been absorbed in it for two consecutive days, and she anticipated concluding it the following day in just a matter of hours.

Her concentration was so intense that she remained unaware of Cao Xun's arrival. Only when he approached the couch did she startle, hastily closing the book and concealing it beneath a pillow.

Cao Xun grinned, "It seems you don't have three hundred taels of silver hidden here."

Yunzhu rebutted, "It's a gift from a young lady, so you menfolk are not allowed to lay eyes on it."

Accepting the young lady's wishes, Cao Xun refrained from snatching a book to peruse. Instead, he settled at the low table in the center of the couch, glancing at a plate of diced peaches and melon slices placed there.

Yunzhu remarked, "They've been sitting there for some time; I'll have someone cut them again for you."

"It seems alright to me," he replied.

Observing him pick up a bamboo stick and consume the remnants, Yunzhu noted that he did so without a hint of disdain. In this small act, many affluent men and women paled in comparison to him.

Cao Xun delicately picked up the last diced peach, its golden hue catching the warm light, and turned to Yunzhu. "Today's peaches are delightful, surpassing the local red peaches I savored in Xuanzhou," he remarked.

Intrigued, Yunzhu inquired, "What red peaches? The ones on this plate are Qingzhou peaches, this year's tribute from the Empress Dowager. How can they compare to the Xuanzhou native peaches you've mentioned?"

Cao Xun offered her a meaningful glance as he replied, "Sometimes, the finest fruit isn't the one presented as tribute."

Skeptical, Yunzhu stated, "Local officials strive to please palace nobles. If there truly are more exquisite varieties, they would undoubtedly present them."

"To do so, they must be exceptional," Cao Xun explained. "Take the Xuanzhou red peach, for instance. Its skin is thinner than paper and turns a vibrant red that's as fragile as it is sweet. However, if picked prematurely, its flavor will disappoint the nobility."

Yunzhu had never tasted a peach with such ethereal qualities, given her status and circumstances.

To further make his point, Cao Xun imparted another example. "You relish river-fresh fare, readily available in the capital, but seafood holds a delicate charm, much like Xuanzhou's red peaches. The seafood found here is hardier. Yet, I recall tasting a particular shrimp in Shanhaiguan, a delicacy so exquisite that it could not survive the journey to Beijing despite its allure. Do you think local officials would dare to risk offering such a marvel to the nobles?"

Yunzhu paused, contemplating this notion.

Having contemplated this, Yunzhu came to the realization that the title of "tribute" did not always equate to superlative quality.

Yunzhu had always been discerning about her lifestyle. From the finest fabrics to the most exceptional produce, her taste reflected the noblest standards of the capital. Instantly, she felt torn between longing for these unattainable culinary delights and wrestling with disappointment.

Glancing at Cao Xun with a tinge of resentment, Yunzhu rebuked, "Are you teasing me deliberately?"

Cao Xun chuckled softly, "Of course not. I merely shared these thoughts with you casually."

Yunzhu hummed, feeling a sultry appetite, and desiring a meal, so she instructed the maids to serve the food.

Due to the sweltering weather, among the couple's four dishes and one soup, two dishes were served cold, with one being a chilled salad featuring three types of shredded vegetables.

Cao Xun observed the young lady delicately picking at the thin cucumber shreds with a wistful expression. "Speaking of cold dishes, I once savored cold noodles in Datong. Expertly stretched by the chef, the noodles can be as thin as a strand of hair according to the diner's preference. Infused with a secret sauce, it leaves an enchanting fragrance on the lips and teeth. Although it's merely a street snack, the memory of its exquisite flavor lingers," he reminisced.

Yunzhu couldn't help but glare at him. "Alright, I know you've traveled to many places, now please eat already."

What's the use of saying that, it will only stimulate people's appetites.

Following the meal, Cao Xun proposed their customary stroll in the garden.

Peering outside, Yunzhu remarked, "Let's wait a while longer, it hasn't cooled down completely yet."

Exiting the table, Cao Xun stepped outside for a brief walk before returning. "Indeed, it's still quite hot. In several border cities, the midsummer is almost as scorching as it is now. Linen clothes are a necessity for morning and evening wear," he shared.

Yunzhu's envy was evident as she nodded in acknowledgment.

Observing the fan swaying in his hand, Yunzhu suddenly felt disillusioned with the capital's allure.

As twilight descended, the couple wandered through the garden.

Returning inside and wiping off the perspiration, Cao Xun settled the young lady on his lap upon entering the bedchamber.

Yunzhu both enjoyed and objected to the gesture, lowering her head to evade his lips. "There's no need, why work up a sweat?"

Cao Xun murmured in her ear, "You're right."

Perplexed, Yunzhu raised her head.

Cao Xun extracted a small porcelain bottle from his coat cuff, uncapping it to reveal a red-bean-sized pill emitting a faint, bitter medicinal aroma.

Yunzhu inquired, "What is this?"

Cao Xun replied, "Once I ingest it, you won't conceive."

Yunzhu speculated the implications. Her concern focused on the effects. "Is it effective? Will it harm your health?"

Cao Xun gently shook the delicate porcelain bottle and observed the pill inside, explaining, "I once heard of a potion that could render a man infertile for life. Some women use it to prevent their husbands from impregnating others. However, I have consulted a renowned physician to neutralize its effects. It will only 'poison' me for about six months before the effects disappear."

Yunzhu's expression shifted with concern.

Cao Xun reassured her, "Don't worry, the doctor is trustworthy. If I were ever gravely ill, he would be the only one I would turn to for help."

Yunzhu was surprised by his trust in the doctor.

As Cao Xun poured out the pill, Yunzhu instinctively reached for his hand, hesitant. "Perhaps it's best not to take it. I fear something might go wrong."

She was worried about the impact of having children on their future decisions and didn't want to risk him being unable to have descendants.

Cao Xun gazed at her with tenderness, holding her close. "I only want a child that you are willing to bear for me. If it weren't for you, I wouldn't even consider it. There's no need for anyone else."

"Yunzhu, I have learned from my mistakes. I will never speak harshly to you again in this lifetime," he vowed.

With that, he effortlessly swallowed the medicine.

Yunzhu watched as he did, feeling a mix of confusion, anxiety, and annoyance. "What if something goes wrong? Even if we remain husband and wife, we will never be able to have a child."

Cao Xun tenderly caressed her face with a loving gaze. "Having children is not the sole measure of a good life. When the children grow up and have families of their own, it's the husband and wife who will continue to accompany each other. I'd choose a wife who is willing to be with me over anything else."

Cao Xun, who had spent over a decade fighting at the border, possessed eyes that were sharp and discerning.

His eyes exuded authority and coldness in anger, but in moments of tenderness, they spoke directly to the hearts of those he looked upon.

Yunzhu felt unsettled by this unfamiliar side of Cao Xun and bowed her head.

Cao Xun gently lifted her chin, preparing to proceed with his actions.

Yunzhu caught the scent of the medicine on his breath and, uncertain about any potential poison effects, she halted him. "Even if it's neutralized, it's still poison. Let's wait and watch. If you feel any discomfort, we'll immediately summon the renowned doctor."

Cao Xun sighed in exasperation. "I'm not worried, why are you?"

Yunzhu shot him a glare. "If you're not worried now, but in the future have no children, you'll hold it against me. How can I not worry?"

After a moment's thought, Cao Xun relented. "Shall I make out another will for you?"

Yunzhu responded, "...Yes. But put on your robe first. You might catch a cold. Don't rush to get dressed."

Cao Xun chuckled and ruffled her hair, getting out of bed to dress before drafting the document.

Meanwhile, Yunzhu read through the contents of the deed, Cao Xun went to cleanse the subtle taste of the medicine from his mouth and then invited the young lady to the second couch to play chess.

An hour passed since Cao Xun ingested the medicine without any adverse effects, Yunzhu ceased to protest.

In the more than two months it took the famous doctor to prepare the medicine, Cao Xun exhibited immense restraint. This evening, Yunzhu's heart softened. It seemed she could not resist his passion any longer. He tenderly embraced the lady, who had recovered her honeymoon spirit, walking her to the window, before returning and pacing with her in his arms.

After an indeterminate span of time, they settled on the bed together.

Exhausted, Yunzhu nestled against his chest. The sensations she had just experienced led her to question whether what he took was truly poison, or rather the type of concoction found in tales that invigorates men.

Cao Xun aroused before her, gently stroking her hair. When Yunzhu was on the brink of slumber, he lifted her and kissed her.

Unable to keep pace any longer, she turned her head away and murmured sleepily, "Let's rest."

Cao Xun took the lady's hand, kissed her ear, and inquired, "Would you like to feast on shrimps from Shanhaiguan, savor the delicately skinned red peaches from Xuanzhou, indulge in the paper-thin cold noodles from Datong, or relish the succulent roast whole Tan sheep?"

Yunzhu, awoken by a litany of sumptuous delights, glanced at him and inquired, "What are you scheming?"

Cao Xun smiled and said, "I'm going to patrol the border, and I want to take you with me."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

260K 10.5K 30
Kai was inexplicably reborn as a cannon fodder in a game from his previous life. The same appearance but world's script seemed to have given him too...
9.7K 238 11
Xuo Ai died of a heartbreak but death gave her a chance to live in again in another life. The only problem was that Xuo Ai got to live her life as an...
Tears Of Kai Yuan By Avigayil

Historical Fiction

75.6K 3.1K 35
Location: Ancient China Date: T'ang Dynasty During the most flourishing era in Ancient China, all seemed to be well for the people. The kingdom was g...
727 12 8
(UPDATES INTERMITTENTLY) A regular guy gets reincarnated into a palace intrigue novel that he's been reading as a background character. Yes, you've...