C104. I Will Be At Your Beck And Call For The Rest.

Chapter 104

On the chilly afternoon of the twelfth lunar month, mist began to rise from the bathroom, creating a warm and inviting atmosphere.

The seasoned military commander was as tough as copper and iron. No matter how forcefully the falling water droplets hit him, they only produced a muffled sound that grew more ponderous with each strike.

"Am I getting old?" Cao Xun whispered into her ear.

Yunzhu shook her head repeatedly. In the past, she could have teased him in response to such questioning, but now she found herself unable to conjure any provocation.

Cao Xun then turned her over and ended the struggle gently, a battle she had been unable to resist.

The towel had been prepared in advance. Cao Xun covered the young woman in his arms with the quilt, using one hand to hold her and the other to skillfully wipe away the sweat from her body.

It's easy to catch a cold in winter, and one should not neglect one's health as in other seasons.

After Cao Xun finished wiping her sweat, Yunzhu's panting subsided. She was irritated by his forceful actions, but also longed for the long-awaited warm embrace before her.

After pinching him in annoyance, Yunzhu still held on to him tightly, using a hand that lacked strength to rub his arm. "Are you injured?" she inquired.

Cao Xun chuckled, "I have only fought twice, how could I be injured?"

Yunzhu replied, "Yes, I should not ask further."

Cao Xun held her chin taut and kissed her, "You should ask anyway, I like to hear it."

Yunzhu playfully hit him again.

Cao Xun caught her hand and said, "Many generals have meritorious service in this battle, but I haven't fought in many. Aren't you happy?"

Yunzhu glared at him, "You are the Generalissimo. Most victories are due to your leadership. Do not pretend to be modest in front of me."

Cao Xun responded, "Even so, people tend to praise generals who have defeated many enemies and captured enemy generals alive."

Yunzhu pressed his chest and calmly stated, "That is because you do not seek recognition. Otherwise, no one could surpass you."

Cao Xun smiled and kissed her cheek, "Madam is astute. I underestimated you."

Yunzhu rolled on top of him, looked into his eyes, and asked, "How will the Emperor treat you upon your return this time?"

Although Emperor Xining did not believe the rumors, he allowed them to circulate for many days without attempting to suppress them. Yunzhu conjectured that the Emperor was still apprehensive of Cao Xun's military achievements. It was expected for emperors to harbor such concerns given the noteworthy feats. The generals who had achieved such remarkable success had no choice but to do it, and perhaps they must feign ignorance out of respect for the Emperor.

Cao Xun smiled, but his eyes lacked mirth, "You mention the rumors, and while you may appear to trust me on the surface, you still harbor concern in your heart."

Yunzhu retorted, "Then how do you plan to handle it?"

Cao Xun responded, "Observe. If he has real abilities, I will gradually impart authority. If he harbors ambitions but lacks the ability, then I cannot remain idle."

In this moment, Cao Xun spoke with an audaciousness in the most ordinary of tones.

He would never express such words in front of others, but there was no need to conceal anything from Yunzhu. She had known about it from the first time he had expressed his dissent.