C48. New Year's Money.

Chapter 48

On New Year's Eve, Yunzhu and her husband sat together with Pan and her son once more.

The lavish New Year's Eve dinner spread across the table was impressive, but the warmth of home was unbeatable.

Yunzhu found this to be the loneliest New Year's Eve dinner she had experienced.

Lost in thoughts of her lively family and her brother's infectious laughter, Yunzhu absentmindedly moved her chopsticks.

Noticing Yunzhu's distraction, Pan shi smiled and initiated conversation: "The Marquis of Huai'an has been blessed with another daughter. You both should strive to give our Duke an heir next year, so that we may have a lively celebration during the Chinese New Year."

Yunzhu seemed to ignore the remark.

Cao Xun smiled and replied, "I will seek my mother's wise guidance."

In such moments, Cao Shao remained as aloof as usual. He knew his mother was intentionally provoking Yunzhu. It had been six months since Yunzhu had married his elder brother, yet she had not conceived.

Perhaps it was too late?

Yunzhu and her husband were both healthy and had no medical issues, leaving only one explanation.

Cao Shao stole a glance at his elder brother. Despite Yunzhu's beauty, his brother showed no interest in intimacy, indicating that he saw her as a subordinate.

This speculation secretly pleased Cao Shao, but he also worried about the potential gossip and judgment Yunzhu might face due to her infertility.

The conflicting emotions left Cao Shao with a tasteless meal.

No one suggested staying together to celebrate the night. After dinner, Pan shi summoned her son and departed, leaving the mother and son to celebrate the New Year alone.

Cao Xun gazed at his wife. "Shall we take a stroll on the streets?"

Yunzhu glanced outside, not particularly enthusiastic. "It's so cold. What's there to do?"

Cao Xun replied, "I haven't celebrated the New Year in the capital for a long time. I wonder if there are any new festivities."

Remembering the significance of the year to her husband, Yunzhu instructed Lian Qiao to fetch a fox fur cloak and followed Cao Xun outside.

The shops lining the street were still open. The Chinese New Year was a profitable time for businesses, and the merchants worked tirelessly amidst the festivities.

The children, wrapped in thick garments, ran around the crowded streets like busy bees. A daring boy sneaked red paper firecrackers from home and ignited them with incense to startle passersby.

Yunzhu reminisced about her childhood and shared with Cao Xun, "When I was young, my brother enjoyed similar antics. He once nearly collapsed on me, prompting my grandfather to reprimand him."

Cao Xun smiled and said, "That sounds like something they would do."

Yunzhu said, "By the way, my grandfather often praises you. When he praises you, he also criticizes my brother."

In truth, her grandfather held disdain for both her father and brother, but Yunzhu felt the need to save face for her father in front of Cao Xun.

Cao Xun inquired, "Really? For what reason does this old man praise me?"

Yunzhu gave him a stern look and said, "It's a lovely notion, but I won't disclose it to you."

The two strolled hand in hand. Cao Xun spotted a cluster of children gathered around a stall selling candied haws. The stall was distinct as each bunch of candied haws was individually wrapped in paper.