C32. Find Your Bloom: Life Lived To Its Fullest.

Chapter 32

The "Chang Garden Case" has significant implications, beyond the sixty-seven officials involved in the crime. Even officials who never visited Chang Garden have been imprisoned for accepting bribes, failing to report wrongdoings, and covering up the scandal. Demotions and other punishments have been meted out.

The impact of the scandal has been most apparent in agencies such as Jinyiwei, Dali Temple, and Shuntian Mansion. It raises the question of how those officials were able to enjoy luxury while turning a blind eye to the corruption at Chang Garden for over a decade.

Wang Manchang, the deputy commander of Jinyiwei, was executed for his involvement. Even the inaction of commander Gao Lian was deemed punishable, as Emperor Yuan Qing publicly reprimanded him in court. Gao Lian was eventually released for dereliction of duty, leaving the position of Jinyiwei commander vacant. In his place, Li Yong was appointed by Emperor Yuan Qing, who had previously served as the commander-in-chief of the Imperial Guard.

This appointment carried significant weight, as the position of commander-in-chief was typically reserved for the emperor's trusted confidants. Similarly, the Jin Yiwei serves as the emperor's oversight and has historically been led by the emperor's most trusted generals.

In essence, even though Emperor Yuan Qing had disregarded Li Yong for nearly ten months, his status as a confidant in the Emperor’s heart had not wavered. The only difference lay in the opportunity for a comeback.

*

Yunzhu had returned to her parents' home, and the news of Li Yong's re-employment should have brought great joy to everyone in the Li family. However, the memory of the girls who suffered in the Chang Garden case dampened the mood, leaving neither Yunzhu nor Meng Shi in the frame of mind for celebration.

Sitting together in the tranquil waterside pavilion, the mother and daughter engaged in conversation. In early August, the serene sky and gentle breeze of Beijing created a comfortable atmosphere amidst the gardens. While Yunzhu poured her mother a cup of tea, she inquired about her father's well-being in Jinyiwei. Meng Shi, however, sighed and shared that the Chang Garden case had taken a toll on her husband, causing him to lose his temper and become overwhelmed by the multitude of cases in Jinyiwei. The transition to his new role in Jinyiwei had kept him busy.

Compared to the responsibilities of the Jin Yiwei, the duties of the Imperial Guard Commander offered a much easier path, with the main focus being on maintaining peace of mind. Meng Shi and Li Yong had been married for over 20 years, and she was well aware of her husband's background. Having been born into a noble family and having enjoyed a life of luxury and privilege, he had been shielded from the hardships endured by the common people. However, the recent setbacks and the Chang Garden case had brought about profound changes in him.

Twenty days later, Yunzhu finally reunited with her father. She observed that he had developed a tan since their last encounter at Cao's mansion. Upon seeing him again, she noticed that while his skin color had not changed much, noticeable lines had appeared on his forehead. His once clear and calm eyes had evolved into a more somber and complex expression as if a previously carefree god had been burdened with the sufferings of the world.

"Papa," Yunzhu threw herself into her father's arms distressedly.

Li Yong observed the red circles under his daughter's eyes and smiled. "Didn't you come here to congratulate me, my dear? Why are you still crying?"

Yunzhu responded, "You have an errand, but you look so tired at first glance."

Li Yong gently touched his daughter's head with a compassionate expression. "I used to be at ease, but now it feels like I'm making a real difference. Yes, I'm a bit more weary, yet I'm genuinely contributing to the Emperor and the people. I willingly take on this responsibility, so please don't worry, my dear. What's distressing you?"