C102. Dual Duties: Defending Abroad.

Chapter 102

In the seven years that Emperor Xining has sat on the throne, the nation of Great Xia has flourished into wealth and power. Despite only three months of battle, the fierce Hu cavalry has been repeatedly defeated, diminishing their morale.

As the coach, Cao Xun naturally received high praise from the people.

It is a common occurrence for victorious generals to be praised by the people during wartime. However, just two days before the Mid-Autumn Festival, rumors surfaced in the streets of the capital suggesting that the entire frontier army does not acknowledge the Emperor and credits the Cao family with the peace and prosperity of Great Xia.

Cao Xun is indeed renowned throughout Great Xia and, not surprisingly, the people readily accept and spread the praise for their hero.

Upon hearing the rumors, Yunzhu was chilled to the bone.

While it is normal to praise Cao Xun, it is clear that those within the palace who praise him while disparaging the Emperor have ulterior motives.

Before Emperor Xining or even Yunzhu could get wind of the news, it was already spreading.

Those who would be most suitable to speak in defense of Cao Xun- such as his relatives and high-ranking officials- are unavailable. Seeking out others for support would be viewed as bribery.

Meng shi, Yunzhu's mother, visited Duke Dingguo's mansion under the guise of visiting her grandson. She was surprised to find Yunzhu unperturbed by the rumors circulating outside.

Yunzhu explained, "I was initially anxious, but I soon realized that there's no use in being anxious. If the Emperor believes the rumors, nothing I do will change that. If he doesn't believe, even rushing back from the border won't make a difference."

Meng shi empathized, "Being a military general is difficult. If you lose, you are ridiculed. If you excel, jealousy and envy follow. The Cao family, as newcomers to wealth, are facing these challenges."

Yunzhu agreed, "That's why I'm not panicking, just taking things as they come."

On August 15th, a family dinner was held in the palace for the Mid-Autumn Festival, and Yunzhu and her children were invited.

Now twenty-two years old, Emperor Xining, who had married at eighteen, was not particularly interested in women. Even so, he had several children and the palace was more lively than before.

The concubines, being from various places, were unable to attend the banquet, leaving only the Dingguo Palace of Emperor Xining's mother's clan to be invited.

As the banquet was about to commence, Emperor Xining arrived late.

After the encounter with Xiao Hunjun, Yunzhu purposely adopted a subtle and natural makeup look when she returned to the palace, one that did not attract much attention.

Fortunately, Emperor Xining was not particularly attentive to women. Whenever he saw Yunzhu, he was courteous and did not overly focus on her appearance.

Once Emperor Xining was seated, Yunzhu led her two children to pay their respects to the emperor.

Emperor Xining smiled and, excusing himself from the formalities, commended the two brothers, noting, "Cao Yu is becoming increasingly steady, and Cao Bing is so headstrong, he resembles his uncle."

Yunzhu gazed at Cao Bing and jested, "It's fine if he inherits his elder uncle's height and martial prowess, but I hope his temperament is more like his younger uncle's."

Thinking of the dissimilarities between Li Yao and Li Xian, Emperor Xining chuckled.

Taking her children to sit down, Cao Yu and Cao Bing flanked their mother on the left and right, contributing to the liveliness of the banquet.