C101. Love Letter From Cao Xun.

Chapter 101

Before leaving the house, Cao Xun bid farewell to his sons, Cao Yu and Cao Bing, instructing the brothers to heed their mother's guidance and not upset her.

Little Cao Yu, aged six, vividly recalled how, after a day of play, three-year-old Cao Bing followed his older brother to the main courtyard for dinner in the evening. Seated next to their mother, the youngster suddenly asked, "Mom, where is father?"

Yunzhu was taken aback but then smiled and replied, "Father has gone to the border to battle. Did Bing'er forget?"

Brother Bing had indeed forgotten, but upon recollection, the young boy simply smiled, sat down obediently, and awaited his meal.

Letting out a sigh of relief, Yunzhu mused to herself that a child is still a child and cannot yet comprehend that he misses his father.

Perhaps it was due to Cao Xun's frequent early departures and late returns, but if Yunzhu were to suddenly leave for a while, Cao Bing would likely shed tears.

"Do you miss father very much, mother?" inquired Cao Yu, showing concern as he sat beside his mother.

Yunzhu tenderly stroked her eldest son's head and said softly, "I have my thoughts, but your father is a general, and he must protect the border. I only wish for him to take care and defend against the enemy soldiers."

Cao Yu had unwavering faith in his father: "Don't worry, mother. Father is powerful and will surely emerge victorious."

After dinner, the two young brothers returned to bed. One had already commenced studying and training in martial arts, while the other, active and lively throughout the day, soon grew drowsy and almost fell asleep on the bed.

In the main courtyard, Yunzhu suffered from insomnia.

As she gazed at the empty pillow beside her, it was as though she could still envision the noble Cao Xun lying there, sharing a smile, and reaching out to enfold her in his arms.

Clutching the quilt tightly, Yunzhu compelled herself to shut her eyes.

The initial days were the most agonizing. While she managed to cope during the day, in the still of the night, thoughts of the past entanglements and the man who had once provided her warmth persistently filled her mind, and she had no idea when he would return.

After enduring much hardship, Yunzhu gradually grew accustomed to her circumstances. She had two children to guide, numerous household accounts to tend to, and engagements with relatives and friends. Time seemed to flow steadily, day by day.

In mid-June, Yunzhu received the first letter from Cao Xun.

The family letter, secured in a waterproof cowhide pouch, was handed over to Yunzhu by Manager Zhang, who had rewarded the postman for delivering it with haste. In the presence of Manager Zhang, Yunzhu maintained a composed and dignified demeanor. Once he departed, unconcerned by any jests from the maids, she promptly took the cowhide pouch into the inner chamber and settled at the table by the window. With expediency, she extracted an envelope from the inside, sealed with wax and adorned with Cao Xun's "Duke Dingguo" seal.

Yunzhu couldn't bring herself to break the seal directly. Instead, she fetched a paper-knife and carefully opened it bit by bit.

Inside the envelope were three pieces of letter paper.

The first two pages were filled with dense words. Cao Xun shared details about his daily life along the journey without mentioning the war. After all, anything related to the battlefield was considered confidential. Should the letter be intercepted, Cao Xun would risk being held responsible for "leaking military secrets."