C103. The Joy of Reconnection.

Chapter 103

The war endured until the middle of November. Upon the capture of the Hu Khan by Li Yao, the Hu people promptly surrendered and sought peace.

The gratifying news was once again imparted to the capital.

Seated in his study, Emperor Xining perused the latest missive and hastily reviewed all the favorable tidings he had received over the past six months. The conflict had lasted for half a year, resulting in over a hundred battles, both large and small, with each victory highlighting a soldier's meritorious service. Among the accomplished were seasoned veterans stationed at the border, as well as young generals such as Li Yao, Xie Lang, and Cen Hao, along with Li Xian and Zhang Hu, all of whom were barely in their twenties.

Cao Xun, the Emperor's uncle and mentor, had recommended over a dozen promising young talents to Emperor Xining and was effusive in his praise of the distinguished veterans.

While Cao Xun had ample opportunities to distinguish himself on the battlefield, he only personally led his troops to vanquish two enemies in June, leaving other chances for meritorious service to others as he strategized in the command tent.

Laying aside the good news, Emperor Xining gazed out the window.

He had always regarded his uncle as an extraordinary general, a true luminary of his time. However, along with admiration, the Emperor had begun to fear his uncle over time.

Members of the Li family, from Li Yong to Li Yao and Li Xian, were all esteemed for their integrity and honor. While Li Yao was recognized for his strategic acumen, Li Xian's strategies
were solely committed to training troops and combat, with no interest in engaging in official intrigues or forging alliances with other officials.

Consequently, Emperor Xining held great trust in the Li family, a tradition maintained by his forebears. Only individuals like Xiao Hunjun, driven by personal vendettas, would clash with the Li family.

Cao Xun, however, was different. Not only a distinguished general, he was also a formidable statesman. Over the years, Emperor Xining had observed Cao Xun's firm grip on military power and his clandestine influence over the government's six ministries. Officials who dared to oppose him were either dismissed or exiled, rarely finding a foothold within the court.

During his youth, Emperor Xining had believed that his uncle's actions were for the greater good and to consolidate his power. Cao Xun appeared dedicated to the nation and never exploited his authority for personal gain.

As his reign endured, however, Emperor Xining's apprehension of his uncle grew. Unlike his father, the Emperor was not one to indulge in earthly delights or surrender his power to confidants. His ambitions lay in becoming a wise and revered ruler, earning the people's acclaim, instilling fear in enemy nations, and drawing the virtuous ministers and generals to his domain.

Amid the conflict, his uncle had relinquished opportunities for meritorious service to others. Was it a strategy to cultivate fresh talent for the court, or a deliberate act to allay his fears?

*

In early December, the army returned to the court.

This marked the first border conflict since Emperor Xining's ascension, a resounding victory that would resonate throughout neighboring nations. Jubilant, Emperor Xining ventured outside the city to warmly welcome the soldiers, accompanied by hundreds of civil and military officials.

Commoners thronged the streets, eager to pay homage to the soldiers' valor.

At Zuixianju, Yunzhu and Gu Min, along with their children from their respective families, had arrived early. Seven-year-old Sui Sui sat still next to her mother, while four-year-old Li Xin and Cao Bing played and frolicked in the private room, under the watchful gaze of Cao Yu.