English Version: Sands & Spar...

Par AeonGray

In a world gripped by darkness and despair, Aveline knows only the harsh reality of survival. But when her pa... Plus

NOTE
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60

48

17 0 0
Par AeonGray

"Dr. Howard! She's awake!" the assistant urgently alerted the doctor. Aveline's eyes were wide open, her gaze fixed on the void.

Dr. Howard immediately examined her eyes with a small flashlight. "Her pupils are equal and reactive," he observed, his brow furrowing upon noticing the look in her eyes. Her brain scan revealed a slight disturbance in the left hemisphere. "This is Dr. Victor Howard, code number 339. Requesting Triazolam," he commanded the computer. At his voice, the machine sprang into action, administering the drug through the tube, a short-acting sedative treatment.

Aveline was caught in the throes of sleep paralysis. During rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, the brain conjured vivid dreams, while the body's muscles were largely incapacitated to prevent the dreamer from physically acting out their dreams. Sleep paralysis occurred when a person emerged from REM sleep prematurely, finding themselves conscious yet disconnected from physical movement. They needed to gently lull her back into sleep; failing to do so risked putting her into a coma or causing potential brain damage. Dr. Howard sighed, his concern palpable. He glanced at the clock. Only twenty minutes remained before her memory would begin to fade.

"Doctor...should we inform Miss Sinclair?" the assistant inquired hesitantly.

Victor Howard gave a solemn nod. "Please, do inform her."

"Heart assessment, no visible pulsations in the aortic and pulmonic areas. No presence of heaves or lifts," the computer announced as it conducted a thorough physical assessment. Once more, a laser light swept over her body.

"Normal breath sounds without dyspnea," it reported as the light glided across her form.

"Anterior thorax, quiet, rhythmic, and effortless respiration," it concluded, providing a detailed overview of her current state.

Aveline gasped for air, coughing several times to expel the water from her throat. She awoke lying in the bathtub, which overflowed as she attempted to sit up. Leaning back, the water reached her chest. Aveline pulled herself out of the tub, her white long sleeves and pants soaking wet. She dragged her foot out of the water, leaving a wet trail on the dry floor.

Drenched, she wrapped her arms around herself, seeking warmth. She sat on the floor, leaning her shoulder against the tub. The room was bathed in white, her only companion a bathtub filled with water. Closing her eyes while seated on the floor, she leaned against the tub.

When she opened her eyes, the scene had transformed.

"Do you want to make a wish?"

Arms encircled her waist, and she leaned back against Margo's chest. They found themselves in a boat in the middle of the sea, encircled by iridescent lamps suspended above the water. The boatman, with his back to them, steered the canoe carefully, navigating through the floating lights.

"I have nothing to ask. My wish was fulfilled." Aveline dipped her hand on the water. "What did you wish?" Margo hugged her tightly when the wind blew to their direction. Aveline stroked Margo's neck by using the tip of her nose, she smiled and whispered huskily to her ear. "You are my wish."

Margo smiled at what she heard. The ocean became brighter. The floating lanterns seemed like stars sailing in the blue universe.

The wind blew, a soft caress against their faces.

"Margo?"

"Yes?" she answered, her gaze fixed on the horizon.

A warm smile slowly grew on Aveline's lips. "Thank you."

"For what?"

"Thank you for showing me the world. It's so wonderful. My life has changed because of you," Aveline whispered, her voice heavy with gratitude. She had seen the world through Margo's eyes: colorful, alive, imperfect. In her dream, Aveline relived the memories, re-enacted the scenes, and listened to the same conversations. It was as if time had rewound just for her.

The boat continued to sail, guided by lanterns that twinkled like stars on the sea. Once again, the waves whispered a soulful melody, enchanting the night.

Margo,
I'm happy. Sometimes I wonder what I've done to earn your love. I thought it impossible, but here you are, loving me with all your heart. With each passing day, our bond grows stronger. My world has become colorful because of you. I will always be here for you, loving you.- Aveline.

After reading the letter, Aveline smiled. The paper transformed into a bird, perched on her palm, and then took flight. She walked through the park as the wind blew around her, compelling her to rub her arms against the cold. The warmth in the air penetrated her black jacket and tight pants. Pink cherry blossoms fluttered like confetti in the gentle breeze, and the branches swayed by the joyful wind.

It was the start of spring...

Fashionable as always, Margo crossed her arms and legs. Her trench coat hung on the bench, and the falling cherry blossoms glided on her leather boots. Margo patiently waited for her, sitting alone on the bench while the cherry blossoms showered on her head.

Aveline looked up at the sky; she could see the flock of birds made out of paper flying in the air. "You're late," was the phrase Margo used to say whenever they met. Aveline responded with a smile and sat beside her. Even though in a sulky mood, Margo grabbed her hand and held it possessively. "You're getting grouchy again, Miss Sinclair," Aveline playfully poked her cheek. Margo felt the coldness of Aveline's hand. Without saying a word, Margo rubbed Aveline's palm between her hands. The wind blew again, raining cherry blossoms all around. Aveline rested her head on Margo's shoulder and at the same time, watched the flowers fall. "The trees and flowers are beautiful," she muttered.

"Happiness and sadness. It is like a tree," Margo replied while the falling cherry blossoms caressed their faces.

"Really?"

Margo nodded. "I read it from a book. The writer also said love is like a flower."

"What did he say about the flower?" Aveline inhaled sharply to breathe the fresh air. "If you love a flower, don't pick it up. Because if you pick it up it dies and it ceases to be what you love. So if you love a flower, let it be. Love is not about possession. Love is about appreciation." Aveline sweetly kissed her cheek. "For me, I want you to be happy, and I want you to be free. Whether you love me or not, I will still love you." Margo squeezed her hand and gently brushed her face. "I'm glad that I met you."

++++

Margo entered the room, her heart carrying a heavy burden.

"Miss Sinclair, within ten minutes, Aveline will be awake. I will be the one to inform her. Do you have something to tell her, Miss Sinclair?" The doctor sensed the heaviness in her heart.

Margo smiled curtly. "It's fine. I have no words left to say... Victor." She stood beside the bed, watching Aveline sleep.

["Memory procedure will end in ten minutes."]

The machine removed the electrodes from Aveline's head. The computer conducted a final physical assessment; her vital signs were all stable. Everything attached to her body was removed.

["Seven minutes and fifty seconds."]

Margo touched her cheek. Loneliness filled her eyes as she watched her sleep. "Why can't it be like a fairy tale?" she began to utter in a soft voice.

"Can we be in a fairy tale? Can we start the story when you wake up? We will live happily ever after. That way, we can be together. Maybe you can learn to love me again? Or could you just be a flower? Stay by my side. Until you fade." She sighed, the heaviness of her heart evident.

["Five minutes and forty-five seconds"]

Margo breathed deeply; she spoke in a hoarse whisper, "Y-you are my sparrow. You are not meant to be caged. Your feathers are too bright. Your smile is too sweet. I have to let you go. Perhaps we are not meant for fairy tales. It is wrong to imprison you. Y-your freedom is to forget."

["Three minutes and thirty-five seconds."]

"Margo!" Aveline slammed the door behind her. She found herself on the rooftop, but when she turned around, the door had vanished, leaving her surrounded by buildings.

She walked to the edge. A strong wind slapped her face, ruffling her hair in wild directions. "Hahhh!" she trembled in fear as she looked down. Everything appeared so small. Aveline shifted her gaze to the horizon where heaven seemed to touch the earth. Her wide eyes captured the glowing collision of the sun, making the sky bleed orange, like the beauty of the universe descending behind the seam of the world. Aveline glanced over her shoulder and noticed her shadow slowly shrinking towards her feet. She looked back to the horizon; only a few bright streaks remained, signaling the beginning of sunset.

"M-Margo?"

A familiar figure stood at the edge of the rooftop, gazing at the sunset. Aveline slowly approached and hugged her from behind. "I thought I lost you," she tightened the embrace, scared to let go. Margo slowly turned to face her. She held Aveline's face, pressed their foreheads together, then whispered with eyes that began to drown in tears, "Y-you have to wake up. You have to jump. You must be free," she softly spoke, her green eyes locking with Aveline's.

The consciousness manifested in the image of Margo, a part of a dream revealing the truth. Aveline grasped the hands cradling her face; her deep brown eyes now brimmed with tears. She shook her head in protest. "I can't...I can't let you go," she cried, while the wind caressed her face.

Margo's lips quivered as she mustered a smile. "You have to be free," she insisted softly, her voice a tender whisper. Gently, she wiped away Aveline's tears and rested her hands on Aveline's cheeks with a comforting warmth.

"I-I don't want to lose you. I don't want to go. I'd rather stay here in this dream with you than let you go," Aveline confessed, her voice choked with emotion. She lovingly kissed the hand that held her face.

"But if I choose to stay, you will be imprisoned in my dream. We might be happy, or you might keep choosing me to be happy. Another Margo will be here. I have to set you free. This world is mine, filled with my selfish ideals, and you will always be a part of it. B-but... you are not real," her eyes narrowed through the endless tears. She tightened her embrace around Margo, her voice breaking with sadness. Her heart pleaded for more time before she could finally let go. "I have to set you free. I don't want to imprison you in my dreams. I want to love you in the real world. Whether you love me or not, I want to meet you again. I want to be a part of your life." With trembling lips, she closed the gap between them—a kiss of love, a kiss of farewell.

"I'll see you on the other side," were Margo's last words, acting as a catalyst for change. The tall buildings surrounding the rooftop began to crumble. With each collapse, the dust rose like smoke from an erupting volcano, enveloping the city in a murky cloud.

"G-goodbye, Margo," Aveline stammered, her chin trembling with tears as she clung to Margo tightly. She gasped for air, her vision blurring with tears. Gently pulling herself away, Aveline stepped back, her gaze locked on Margo. As she reached the edge, she paused, her eyes still fixed on Margo. The buildings around them collapsed in turn, like dominoes, each structure smashing into the next.

"Are you going to steal a kiss from me, or am I the one to rob you of a kiss?" Aveline yelled, then laughed at the questions, trying to hide the overwhelming sadness of her dream.

The noise of the buildings crumbling apart grew louder between them. "Just kiss me!" Margo shouted back, the shining light from the sunset enveloping her from a distance.

"Always remember that I love you!" Feeling the strong wind behind her, Aveline gave Margo one last look before falling from the rooftop, facing the sky. Time seemed to distort; everything slowed down until there was nothing but her and the sky above. Her hand reached out to touch the sky, to feel the endless abyss of blue. Everything turned into a blur that was soon to end a beautiful memory. Suspended in the air, she closed her eyes and surrendered herself to the sky above. Flashbacks of scenes were shown in her vision, a speeding rewind of her past happening as she fell.

Aveline saw herself in a tender embrace with Margo, their laughter mingling. She could see the Queen's smile, radiant and comforting. The precious moments they had spent together flashed in her mind, a montage of joy and love, even as the air rushed past her, pulling her down. She smiled warmly at the memory of Margo falling into a peaceful sleep.

["Ten seconds."]

Her eyes were about to open. Margo held her cheeks and pressed her forehead against Aveline's.

["Nine seconds."]

"I love you so much," Margo whispered for the last time.

["Eight seconds."]

She held Aveline's hand as the world of Margo Sinclair was already falling apart.

["Seven seconds."]

The speeding rewind got faster. Aveline saw how Margo would wake up from sleep, her favorite moment.

["Six seconds."]

Hearing the voice of Margo, the beautiful English accent apparent whenever she got mad at Aveline.

["Five seconds."]

The first night together in the park flickered in her mind. She watched as Margo tried the chicken barbecue for the first time.

Scenes of a stranger's kiss flashed.

["Four seconds."]

Margo could only kiss her love for the last time, for when Aveline woke up, the existence of their love would be nothing but a forgotten memory.

["Three seconds."]

With a bleeding heart, the eternal Queen kissed Aveline on the lips and whispered, "Open your eyes." She let her lips rest on Aveline's forehead, savoring the last moment, unwilling to let go.

["Two seconds."]

Margo suddenly flinched when she heard the voice of the computer. Aveline was about to wake up. Dr. Howard could only watch the pure misery from a distance.

Margo gave a sad smile with a heavy heart. She finally stood at the door.

["One second."]

A final countdown was given; it felt like a dagger stabbed right through her heart. With the deepest pain in her green eyes, the eternal Queen stepped out of the door and never looked back.

++++

"You had an accident. While you were unconscious, your brain was affected, and I think some part of your memories might have been lost. I need to ask you a few questions," Dr. Howard explained, his voice distant yet clear.

Large mirrors surrounded the room. Aveline gazed into one and saw her reflection staring back with a puzzled look. Margo stayed on the other side of the room, looking through the two-way mirror and listening to their conversation. The audio speaker transmitted their words clearly. She crossed her arms as she stood in front of the two-way mirror, silently staring at Aveline. A sad smile crept onto her lips.

"How are you feeling?" the doctor asked gently. Aveline smiled at him. They sat opposite each other at the table. "I feel like I'm waking up from a long sleep," she replied politely. Victor Howard nodded at her response. "Do you remember your dreams?" he inquired. She shook her head. He nodded again, understandingly. He took something from a bag and placed it on the table. "Can you arrange this puzzle? You can match the blocks according to their shapes. Take your time. There's no need to hurry," Dr. Howard instructed in a calm voice. He handed her the items, and she immediately set about performing the task.

"Can you name any places in the Philippines?" Dr. Howard asked as he wrote on the chart.

"Batanes, Manila, Cagayan, and Bacolod," Aveline answered without a pause.

He smiled and made a mark on the paper. "I will name some colors. Can you think of another color that comes to mind?" He assessed her cognitive functions and level of understanding.

"Yes, Dr. Howard," Aveline responded without hesitation. Margo could feel her heartbeat growing louder.

"Okay, let's start."

"Black?"

"White."

Dr. Howard nodded again and marked the paper. "Grey?"

"Red."

"Orange?"

"Yellow."

The doctor nodded again. "Green?"

"Cyan."

"Do you remember anything special associated with the color green?" the doctor asked, excitement in his voice as he narrowed his eyes at the paper.

"Nothing, Dr. Howard."

Margo was deeply hurt by what she heard; it completely broke her heart. Green had always been Aveline's favorite color. She took a deep breath, her green eyes growing dimmer. The doctor sighed, bracing himself for the final test, his eyes reflecting a mix of misery and hope. "I will give you some names. Just tell me if you recognize any of them. Some are famous. Don't feel pressured; it's okay if you don't know them."

Aveline nodded in agreement.

"Jose Rizal?"

"National Hero."

Dr. Howard selected a random name from the list. "Lucinda?"

"I don't know," Aveline shook her head.

He nodded and chose another name.

"Shakespeare?"

"A famous writer and poet."

"Troy de la Merced?"

"I don't know."

"For the last name," Dr. Howard sighed in anticipation.

"Margo?"

"I don't know."

The hope in his eyes vanished with her final answer. Aveline's response was devastating. "You've passed the tests. You will be discharged today. Your mother is waiting for you. Thank you for answering all the questions." Dr. Howard maintained a professional tone. Facing the mirror, he could only see his own reflection. He nodded, acknowledging that Aveline's semantic memory was unaffected. The procedure had been successful.

Behind the mirror, Margo felt her heart shattering, its pieces spreading throughout her body. The sight of Aveline, now a stranger to their shared past, plunged her world into darkness. She remained standing in the corner, yearning for a touch that would never come. Her heart slowed as she faced the crushing realization: the one she loved had become a forgotten memory.

"I'll leave you to rest," the doctor said gently, aware that on the other side of the room, someone was enduring a pain he could no longer heal.

Tears threatened to fall from Margo's eyes, but she fought to keep them at bay.

Aveline stood and faced the mirror, directly in front of Margo.

Margo's tears finally streamed down her cheeks, falling like raindrops as she covered her mouth with her hand. Her chin trembled, as she tried to muster strength, but found none sufficient to overcome her pain. Her body ached, yearning to collapse to the floor as she watched Aveline standing before her. With a trembling hand, she pressed her palm against the mirror, as if to touch Aveline's face. She gasped for air, her eyes overwhelmed with tears.

The world of Margo Sinclair slowly crumbled. Now, her eyes brimmed with tears. The walls that had protected her and bolstered her strength collapsed in an instant. With each passing moment, they fell. Even as she pressed her hand against the mirror, it shook, it trembled, and she could not contain her cries.

The alarm at the exit sounded. Aveline glanced towards the door, a signal for her to leave.

"P-please d-don't go...p-please don't l-leave me," Margo pleaded, her voice desperate as she tapped on the mirror.

"D-don't leave me... d-don't leave me," she repeated, thumping the glass over and over. Her hand ached, but the agony in her heart tore her apart. With one last look in the mirror, Aveline turned away. Margo's heart shattered into pieces as she watched her leave. No matter how much she tried to hold herself together, her pain escaped in a silent scream. Tears resumed their relentless flow, one after another, without any sign of stopping. She struck the glass and screamed from a heart consumed by grief.

++++

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

2.9K 144 12
DISCONTINUED AND MARKED AS COMPLETE. "You just wanted to play with my heart, was that it?" Jasmine asked. Every bit of her emotions leaked through h...
8.4K 539 25
As Rory Bradford, a twenty-four year old woman who had been previously known for her incredible problem solving skills, found herself making the bigg...
338K 21.3K 57
[[Book 2 (FINAL book) of "One Lifetime is Never Enough"]] "I would have waited for you forever." The lament of a faraway voice that she had missed...
4.5K 391 14
Blamed for a lethal disease she did not cause, a reclusive necromancer sets out to cure the sickness and save a town before any more victims perish. ...