English Version: Sands & Spar...

By AeonGray

In a world gripped by darkness and despair, Aveline knows only the harsh reality of survival. But when her pa... More

NOTE
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60

30

29 2 0
By AeonGray

"I think I'm at the wrong address," Aveline muttered under her breath as she approached the iron gate. Behind it lay a bungalow, nestled in a vast lawn adorned with fruit trees, flowering plants, and a secluded oasis, all enclosed by rustic wooden fencing. Aveline couldn't help but imagine herself enjoying outdoor dining on the flagstone patio, surrounded by beautiful landscaping. Before pressing the doorbell, she let her fingers glide over the cool iron gate. After a moment of hesitation, she pressed the intercom; its chime echoed within the house. An elderly woman wearing eyeglasses opened the gate. With the demeanor of a strict teacher and seemingly around seventy, her wrinkles were subtle. Her lips curved into a warm smile upon seeing Aveline.

Aveline returned the smile, albeit shyly. "Hi, good morning. I wanted to ask, is this house available for rent? Is this the right address?" She cautiously extended the flyer. The elderly woman examined the paper and then nodded. "Yes, it is. Are you interested in renting this place?"

"Uhm, I'm very sorry to bother you. I think I need to go. Thank you for your time," Aveline's hesitation was evident. Merely by looking at the house, she knew she couldn't afford it. While unsure of the exact value of the property, she guessed it would range between ten thousand to fifteen thousand pesos, likely surpassing her budget. Aveline offered a brief smile and turned to leave, but the woman touched her wrist. "Wait! Aren't you going to take a look inside?" she inquired, holding onto her hand.

"N-no... I thought it was the house I've been looking for," Aveline shook her head, her gaze dropping to the ground.

"But you are looking for a place to rent?" the elderly lady persisted.

"Y-yes," Aveline nodded.

"Then this is the right place! Why don't you take a look inside?" The woman's excitement was palpable as she clapped her hands together.

"B-but I'm not sure if I can afford this place," Aveline admitted, her cheeks coloring with embarrassment.

"Why don't we discuss it inside? Then you can see for yourself if you like it," the old lady's gentle voice eased her reservations. She opened the gate wider to allow Aveline inside.

Upon closer inspection, the garden was even more beautiful; it featured a small bench and a pond teeming with colorful koi fish. The property also boasted a porch, a garage, and a maid's quarters. Aveline's chocolate eyes widened at the sight of the spacious living room, the marble flooring, and the large doors. Her heart sank; she knew she couldn't afford it.

"Two bedrooms and three bathrooms. The guest room is on the second floor, along with a music room. Across the hall, you'll find the sunroom and library."

Aveline listened to the lady, swallowing hard a few times.

"Here's the kitchen, equipped with stainless steel appliances and mahogany countertops and cupboards. The first level features stylish hardwood flooring, complemented by designer-colored walls, new wooden blinds, and upgraded lighting fixtures."

Aveline felt her heart sink further. The kitchen, her weakness, made her feel even more hopeless.

The owner then showed her the second floor, which included walk-in closets in the bedrooms and large bathtubs in every bathroom. Aveline's eyes grew larger with amazement but dimmed with disappointment. Everything she could ever want was before her, yet it remained out of reach.

Their tour concluded, leaving Aveline to breathe deeply in frustration.

"Oh! I haven't asked your name!" The lady cheerfully pressed her hands to her cheeks while gazing at Aveline. "I also forgot to introduce myself. I'm Elena; I own this house. I'll be moving to another town, which is why I'm looking for someone to rent this place." She extended her arm for a handshake.

"My name is Aveline. Your house is impressive, and I'm sad that I can't really afford it, even though I desperately want to." She smiled timidly while reaching for Elena's hand.

"Oh! But you haven't heard the price yet; you're giving up too soon." Elena's face brightened, and she gave a friendly tap on Aveline's shoulder. Her face blushed from awkwardness; she lowered her gaze and fiddled with the edge of her blouse. "I-I can only afford three thousand pesos." With that kind of amount, Aveline could typically only afford something the size of a garage.

"Three thousand pesos? Sure, you can have it." Elena replied without hesitation.

"What? Why?" Shock was evident on Aveline's face for a brief moment. "A-are you sure?" She dared not blink, staring at Elena in disbelief.

The owner shrugged. "Yes, you can have it. Let me give you the contract." She pointed to a table with a paper on it. Aveline stood rigid, her mind struggling to process the situation. Elena had to pull her by the hand to join her. "Write your name in this space after reading the guidelines and sign it. That's it," she instructed Aveline with a gentle voice.

"Are you sure about this?" Aveline asked, disbelief etched across her face. She glanced at the contract, then back to Elena.

Elena adjusted her eyeglasses and offered a wry smile. "Let's make it two thousand five hundred pesos," she said, extending the contract to Aveline.

"Can I ask you a question?"

Elena nodded.

"Why is the price lower than I expected?" Aveline inquired, puzzled.

Elena casually shrugged. "I want this house to be maintained while I'm away. I can see you'll take good care of it; that's why I'm offering it to you. Nobody died here, and the place isn't haunted, if that's what you're worried about." She burst into laughter, but Aveline didn't respond to the joke.

"I'm sorry, but I can't accept it," Aveline was overwhelmed, her concern for Elena evident.

"2,000!"

"2000?! But why?"

"Every time you refuse, I'll lower the price!" the owner declared firmly.

Aveline scratched her head, confused. "W-what? Why?"

"1,500!"

Aveline's mind went blank, overwhelmed by the rapidly changing situation. "Are you s-sure...I-I can't accept--"

"1,000!" Elena hastily interjected.

"Huh? What?" Aveline turned pale, disbelief taking over.

"Each time you refuse, I'll drop it by a hundred pesos. I'm not joking; I'm quite serious," Elena stated, adjusting her glasses with determination in her voice.

"B-but," Aveline began to protest.

Elena cleared her throat, a warning in her gesture.

"Please don't lower the rent anymore!" Aveline exclaimed, catching on to Elena's intent.

"Alright, let's settle at one thousand pesos." A satisfied grin spread across Elena's lips as she handed over the contract.

Aveline sighed deeply, finding the situation surreal yet calming. As she began to read the contract, her brow furrowed, and she shot Elena a questioning look.

"Is something wrong, Aveline?"

"The contract says I can live here and pay my rent whenever I want. There's no deadline," Aveline observed, puzzled by the unusual terms.

"Yes, you read it correctly," Elena confirmed, patiently awaiting her signature.

"B-but is that even possible?" Aveline hesitated, uncertain about the unconventional arrangement.

Elena cleared her throat, a subtle hint of urgency for Aveline.

"I-I'll take it," Aveline resolved, noticing the price hadn't been specified on the document, and promptly signed it.

"Oh! Thank God!" Elena exhaled in relief. "You've made me very happy!" Her face radiated joy.

"Huh?" Aveline's eyes widened in bewilderment, her expression morphing into a frown.

"I'm relieved you'll be living here; I won't have to worry anymore. Thank you," Elena said, embracing her warmly. "Here's the key to the house. You're welcome to move in anytime. The place is safe, by the way. And don't concern yourself with the homeowner's bills; everything is taken care of," Elena explained, handing over the keys.

Aveline remained in a state of shock. The reality of living in such a beautiful house was beyond her comprehension. Internally, she rejoiced, her mind floating in disbelief. It seemed too good to be true, yet it was unfolding right before her eyes.

++++

Aveline took a deep breath and surveyed the interior of the mall. Glancing at her wristwatch, she noted it was 1 pm. She debated for a moment whether to go home or linger a little longer. Checking her phone and finding no messages, she texted Margo to share the good news and informed her of her location, so Margo wouldn't worry. After a few minutes, Aveline decided to settle in the food court, having purchased a small notebook. She then gazed at the keys to her new home, a smile spreading across her face. She could hardly believe she was about to live in the most beautiful house she had ever seen. "I'll save money to buy furniture," she thought, allowing herself to fantasize about decorating her living room. Lost in her thoughts, the surrounding noises faded away. She took a sip from her cup while scrolling through her cellphone.

Around her, people were absorbed in their own worlds. Some students were eagerly consuming their lunch, while others were engrossed in their gadgets, taking advantage of the free Wi-Fi in the food court. Shuttle services meandered through the aisles, offering assistance. Food outlets dotted the landscape, and professional shopping guides, smiling and ever-ready, greeted customers at every entrance, offering their help.

A young woman donned in a mall uniform was spotted navigating the aisles, clutching a fishbowl filled with folded papers while casting glances in every direction. Curious passersby questioned what she was carrying, with some speculating about potential prizes within the fishbowl. "Get lost!" she dismissed them rudely, adding a stern "Go away!" She shot a glare at a man who attempted to inquire further, her demeanor that of a tigress poised to unleash her claws on anyone daring to approach.

"Hey, Miss! I'll report you to the manager!" an irritated customer threatened, his face contorted in frustration. However, the woman responded with her signature scowl, undeterred by their threats. She pressed on, her gaze sweeping across the crowd until she finally spotted her target. With a sigh of relief, her search concluded. She made her way to the food court and approached Aveline. "Good afternoon, Ma'am. Uh... Miss, you've been chosen to select a prize," she announced cheerfully, catching Aveline by surprise.

"H-huh?" Aveline's face went blank with confusion, as if her brain couldn't process the information fast enough, her eyes wide with astonishment.

"Take a pick; you might win the grand prize," the woman urged, shaking the fishbowl excitedly and offering it to Aveline. She stood in front of Aveline, stirring the rolled papers inside before shaking the bowl again like maracas. "Try it!" she encouraged with a smile.

"B-but I don't recall entering any contest for a prize. Y-you must be mistaken," Aveline hesitated.

The woman's shoulders sagged momentarily, but her desperation rekindled her resolve. Spotting something that piqued her interest, she said, "This one is free," pausing for effect, "a gift from the management for patronizing this establishment." Raising an eyebrow, she added, "You purchased a notebook; that entitles you to pick your prize." She swallowed nervously as she explained, attempting to conceal her anxiety behind an excited grin. "This must be your lucky day! Please?" Her demeanor had shifted dramatically from earlier rudeness to eagerness, almost as if she'd kneel to persuade Aveline, employing what could only be described as puppy eyes in her desperation.

Still baffled, Aveline acquiesced. What harm could it do? She reasoned, mentally shrugging in agreement. She reached into the fishbowl and presented the paper she selected.

The woman's smile widened like that of a Cheshire cat.

"Miss! You've won a living room, bedroom, and kitchen showcase! You've won the grand prize!" the woman exclaimed, her voice tinged with excitement. She showed the paper to Aveline, the words "JACKPOT" bolded, leaving Aveline in shock.

"W-what?" Aveline's mind went blank, stunned by the revelation.

"Just provide us with your contact number and address! We'll deliver the prize immediately! Oh my god! Oh my god!!" the woman bubbled over with excitement, grasping Aveline's shoulders and shaking them in her zeal.

Flushed with embarrassment, Aveline scanned the surroundings, relieved to find no one paying them any mind. She compliantly wrote down her contact details and handed them over. "H-here."

"Thank you! We'll call you as soon as we deliver it!" The woman's elation made it seem as if she, not Aveline, had won the prize, while Aveline remained stoic. "Thank you! Thank you!" she repeated, embracing Aveline before departing.

Aveline felt bewildered and adrift. Had a horde of zombies invaded, she'd likely be the first victim, her brain still trying to grasp the turn of events. She gazed down, her stare vacant, then took a deep breath and pinched her cheeks to ascertain the reality of the moment. For the first time in her life, the truth filled her with joy. Realizing it wasn't a dream, she allowed herself a quiet giggle.

"Meanwhile, at a considerable distance, a pair of green eyes watched her intently. Margo, smirking with amusement, took a sip of her coffee. Wearing a baseball cap and aviator glasses, she then opened a book to cover her face, sitting three tables away from Aveline. It was funny; whenever she read, her mind never wandered. But now? Margo found herself secretly glancing over her book at Aveline.

Margo chuckled to herself at the scene before her, but upon setting her book down, she noticed something peculiar. Squinting, she scrutinized the situation unfolding in Aveline's direction.

A man had taken the seat next to Aveline, grabbing her shoulders and whispering into her ear. Something about the interaction set Margo on edge; she detested what she witnessed. Clenching her fist, she stealthily approached and took a seat behind them, eavesdropping on their conversation. What she heard took her by surprise.

"I always go to the bar to watch you dance. That place is a complete mess. I'm a fan, but I can't afford you. This must be my lucky day, seeing you here," the man hissed, his words laced with entitlement. Aveline attempted to push him away, but he pulled her closer, gripping her tightly. 'Don't you dare make a scene! Do you want me to expose your job?" He threatened. 'Come with me; I have your purse right here. Call the cops, and you'll regret it," he said, boring his gaze into hers and attempting to grope her thigh. Aveline pushed his hand away, pleading in a quivering voice. "Please, don't do this. I'm not a sex worker anymore."

"I'll pay for you!" He declared, holding her even closer.

"No, please...let me go," Aveline cowered in fear.

"You don't have a choice! I'll pay, and you'll enjoy it," he snarled, then laughed. "Stay here; I'll go to the men's room. Don't you dare leave! I have your bag; I know where to find you," he warned, attempting to lick Aveline's ear but she pushed him away. Standing, he laughed and walked away.

Aveline gazed at him, her eyes wide with fear. He flaunted her bag, which contained all her personal information: her school ID, cellphone, and even Margo's address. A sense of dread washed over her like an icy chill, her mind numbing with anxiety. She worried about the reaction of her classmates and the disappointment of her teachers, fearing they would dismiss her from her job. She dreaded putting Margo in an embarrassingly compromising situation, worse than anything she could have imagined. These fears tormented her, threatening a humiliation that seemed insurmountable. A dark chapter of her life, now threatening to resurface, mocked her from the shadows of her memory. Overwhelmed by these thoughts, Aveline burst into tears, feeling utterly helpless in the face of her fears.

Meanwhile, in the confines of the restroom, the man sifted through her bag, a surge of excitement coursing through him upon discovering her school ID. The revelation that she was a student sparked a vile satisfaction within him, and he whispered to himself with malicious intent, "Damn, I hit the jackpot."

He proceeded to the toilet just as someone entered, locking the main door from the inside.

The man zipped up and moved to the sink with a large mirror, turning on the tap. Suddenly, the mirror fogged up, and the hand dryer roared to life. After washing his hands, he noticed a figure standing behind him in the reflection.

"HAH!" He exclaimed in surprise, his shocked expression quickly turning into a scowl. "You startled me! Move away, dude!" he sneered, clearly irritated. The figure in front of him donned a baseball cap and aviator glasses. With the lights flickering, the face was hard to discern, and he had no desire to linger, anxious to return to Aveline.

"What's your problem? I said, move!" He felt intimidated by the taller figure, a feeling that often accompanied his lower self-esteem. His demand was ignored as the figure leaned in, forcing him to step back until he was pinned against the wall. "The hell!" he exclaimed furiously. "I'll kill you—"

His threat was abruptly silenced when a hand clamped over his face, the back of his head crashing against the wall with a resounding thud, akin to a sledgehammer striking concrete. He grew weak and sluggish, his body sliding down the wall. Still conscious, he was dragged by the figure, his leg pulled as they both entered a cubicle.

The man whimpered upon impact, his body convulsing as blood vessels burst. Margo shoved his head into the bowl and flushed, water engulfing his face, nearly drowning him.

Afterward, Margo washed her hands and left the scene.

++++

Aveline, lost for words, sat on a bench in the middle of the park, clutching her bag as if it were the most precious thing in her life. Her name had been announced at the information desk; a security guard had found her purse and returned it to her. She had left immediately, her feet eventually bringing her to the park. Deeply hurt, her self-esteem was shattered. She was overwhelmed by the good that had happened, but then her past confronted her, casting doubt on her self-worth once again. Unable to hold back her tears, Aveline simply let them fall. She looked like a child sitting alone on the bench, constantly wiping her tears away. She paid no attention to her surroundings, her shoulders shaking as she sobbed.

The park's trees were a beautiful sight; a gentle breeze rustled the leaves, causing them to fall gracefully to the ground. The air was warm under a sunny sky, and beams of sunlight kissed Aveline's skin. Flowers added vivid splashes of color to the freshly cut grass. Children blew bubbles from their toys while their parents chatted nearby. Pigeons frolicked close to benches, pecking at bread and grains fed to them by passersby. Colorful balloons were sold throughout the park, adding to the lively atmosphere.

Margo was inside the coffee shop, observing Aveline. Later, she headed to an ATM and withdrew a large sum of cash.

"Miss! You dropped this!" A young man named Arnel called out to her. He was holding a plastic folder and picked up a peso bill from the ground. Out of the five people who saw the money fall, he was the only one honest enough to return it. Margo smiled in appreciation.

"Thanks...are you looking for a job?" Margo noticed his resume inside the folder.

Arnel shyly scratched his head. "Yes, it seems I'm out of luck today."

"I might have a job for you," Margo offered with a smile.

Arnel's face lit up at the offer. "Let me buy you a coffee," she suggested and led the way to the coffee shop, with him following.

Meanwhile, Aveline brushed away her tears. The weight of her emotions was unbearable, not even the doves frolicking at her feet could lighten her burden. She gasped for air, then sighed deeply, running her fingers through her hair as the wind caressed her face.

A balloon seller approached, scattering a flock of pigeons in disarray, their cooing and flapping a stark contrast to the moment's quietude. An old man handed a balloon to Aveline. "It's free," he said, smiling warmly at her.

"T-thank you," Aveline replied, accepting the red balloon with a puzzled look.

Each vendor gave Aveline a balloon until she had ten colorful balloons in her hands. She finally took the time to observe her surroundings and noticed that everyone around her was holding a balloon. The children who were playing with bubbles approached and directed their toys towards her. Aveline couldn't help but smile at the scene unfolding before her. Suddenly, her phone rang, and she answered, "Hello?"

"Hi...how are you?"

"Margo?" Hearing the familiar voice, Aveline felt her burdens lift.

"Are you okay? Your voice sounds sad," Margo inquired, observing her while cradling a warm cup of coffee.

"Well, I'm fine. I'm in the park holding balloons," Aveline replied, her sadness replaced by joy during the conversation.

"Really? What would you like to do with your balloons?"

"I don't know. What do you suggest?" A smile played on Aveline's lips, the events of earlier forgotten, her dimples deepening with joy.

"Why don't you make a wish?" Margo suggested with a smile, watching her from afar.

"Make a wish?" Aveline chuckled at the idea.

"Yes...make a wish to the sky," Margo encouraged. "Let them fly, Aveline," she whispered softly.

"I'll do that." Aveline's smile widened, her dimple becoming more pronounced. The warm glow of the sunshine turned into rays of happiness in her brown eyes.

"I'll call you later...bye." Margo ended the call, her gaze fixed on Aveline holding the balloons, her green eyes sparkling with fascination.

"Miss Sinclair, I've hired more vendors, they will deliver more balloons," Arnel sat on the empty seat across Margo.

"Here, take it." Margo gently pushed two envelopes towards him. "Pay them, and the other one is your fee." Arnel's face lit up, and he smiled wholeheartedly. "Thank you, Miss Sinclair." He also paid the children to bring a smile to Aveline's face.

Aveline looked up at the sky, her eyes thrilled with happiness and unrelenting cheerfulness beneath the bluest expanse. Her chocolate eyes turned glassy with delight. She closed her eyes, silently sending her wishes into the air, then released the strings of the balloons one by one, letting them go. Around her, people began offering their own balloons to the sky, even the vendors released all the balloons near her. Pigeons took flight, their flapping wings creating a melody to her ears. For a moment, the world blurred into magic, enchanting both eyes and soul, as joy permeated the air. The balloons soared at a leisurely pace, floating like cannonballs in the bright blue above, with only sparse clouds to obscure them.

The park transformed into a magical place with thousands of bubbles floating through the air. A gust of wind serenaded Aveline, bringing more bubbles to whisk away her sadness. The pigeons, too, flew in her direction, their wings slicing through the gentle breeze. Aveline watched them ascend until they became mere specks on the horizon, blending into the orange-kissed heavens.

The bubbles tenderly touched her, and Aveline popped them with her fingers. She giggled, her laughter radiating with joy. Margo couldn't help but smile. She felt something new, happiness flowing through her, warming her like the rays of the early summer sun. Her usual casual grin blossomed into a radiant smile she had never worn before. Seeing Aveline smile filled her with joy. Margo looked up to watch the balloons ascending into the sky, transforming the infinite blue into a colorful canvas. A gentle breeze softly caressed her cheek as she gazed at her. Margo's phone rang; it was Aveline calling. "Yes?"

"I'm going home. Do you want me to buy you something?"

Margo took a sharp breath and chuckled. "Could you buy me some isaw?"

Aveline's giggle, childlike and infectious, made Margo even more amused. "I'll buy you lots of isaw," her voice radiated relentless joy, "Come home early?" She softly pleaded while pinching the edge of her blouse.

"I will," Margo assured her.

Aveline sighed, her gaze lingering on the balloons.

"Margo?"

"Hmm?"

"Come home, Margo. I'll be waiting for you."

"I will stay by your side...Aveline."

++++

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

338K 21.3K 57
[[Book 2 (FINAL book) of "One Lifetime is Never Enough"]] "I would have waited for you forever." The lament of a faraway voice that she had missed...
2.1K 88 14
When Enid Jones a straight A student and a perfect Islamic daughter any parent would wish to have, won a scholarship to the prestigious Montrose Acad...
1.9M 44.4K 67
Have you ever felt so broken that you couldn't pull yourself out of bed and continue to live your life like you used to. A simple task such as tying...
401K 26.1K 47
Dear Rory, I'm sorry about what I said. I'm leaving for LA in two days. Can we talk before then, please? We can just drive around as usual. I do...